Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 1025r with a FEL. I am looking at plow options and like the options that allow me to use JDQA. I have looked at the AF10F at the local John Deere dealer and it looks very sturdy but it is manual angle. They have it for cheaper than Mutton so the price is pretty attractive. I'm trying to decide if the manual angle would be a big deal to me. I also saw CTA has a loader mounted plow that has hydraulic angling at a very good price (cheaper than going with the JD 54" blade and quick hitch). I've seen several people that were happy with their plows that connected to the quick attach. Does anyone have any experience with the loader mounted plows CTA carries?

·
Premium Member
13,663 Posts
Hi! I have a 1025r with a FEL. I am looking at plow options and like the options that allow me to use JDQA. I have looked at the AF10F at the local John Deere dealer and it looks very sturdy but it is manual angle. They have it for cheaper than Mutton so the price is pretty attractive. I'm trying to decide if the manual angle would be a big deal to me. I also saw CTA has a loader mounted plow that has hydraulic angling at a very good price (cheaper than going with the JD 54" blade and quick hitch). I've seen several people that were happy with their plows that connected to the quick attach. Does anyone have any experience with the loader mounted plows CTA carries?
I have no experience with the CTA plow, mine is basically homemade with a 72" moose plow on a quick tach plate. Manual angle isn't really a big deal to me, I have developed a system in my driveway and only have to change angle 3 times to plow the entire thing. However, hydraulic angle is a plan for the future on mine, that said the CTA is cheaper than the JD plow and if I need to switch from plow to bucket it takes less than a minute to do so, that is the option I like to keep along with the ability to stack snow quite high with the FEL mounted plow.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
CTA Plows are Built well but Painted Poorly. There's a member over On MTF Just Bought a 66inch CTA for the Quick Hitch Paint was coming off Pretty Bad In his First use. And CTA did Not seem to care when he contacted them.( So My only Problem with them would be poor paint Job & customer relations) I have a 14 year old Deere 54inch Dozer Blade which The Paint has not come off of yet My 40 year old 54inch is still In good condition paint wise for my 140H3 Both Only need Paint On the ware edge But That's expected But That is nice that do offer a Hydraulic angle Plow anyways:bigthumb:

Here is a link to that thread over at MTF http://www.mytractorforum.com/12-john-deere-forum/1232050-new-video-x758-plowing-snow-66-cta-plow.html

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
Their JDQA blade is brand new so there won't be a lot of people with experience with them. They just added it to their web page. It wasn't even mentioned on there a week or so ago when someone else commented they CTA was coming out with it.

It looks interesting though. I may have to buy one before next winter.:gizmo:

Reactions: PJR832

·
Administrator
18,308 Posts
There is also the HLA 1000 series to consider, quite a few members have those and it’s available with hydraulic angling.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have their grapple, I love it. Built heavy and no issues with the paint. I have picked up rocks, logs and large clumps of dirt with it. BTW go with the hydraulic angle. You will be glad you did if you have different things to plow around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insight so far! If paint comes off that easily with CTA and the bigger thing customer service being poor, I'm apt to try other options. The sales at CTA seems to be response as they've answered my questions quickly but what sales department isn't :) My driveway has a 40' x 50' pad in front of the house and then I have another 250' that curves until it gets to the road where it straightens out. I'm not for sure how much I'd need to change the angle to know how much of a pain the manual angle change would be. I was looking at the HLA site and the closest dealers to SW Ohio are in Missouri and New York. Both are over 6 hours away. Do they have any dealers not listed on their site? I'd like to get a quote on the HLA blade so that I can comparison shop. If the AF10F had a hydraulic kit, I'd just start with the manual angle and upgrade if necessary with a hydraulic angle kit.

·
Premium Member
13,663 Posts
Thanks for the insight so far! If paint comes off that easily with CTA and the bigger thing customer service being poor, I'm apt to try other options. The sales at CTA seems to be response as they've answered my questions quickly but what sales department isn't :) My driveway has a 40' x 50' pad in front of the house and then I have another 250' that curves until it gets to the road where it straightens out. I'm not for sure how much I'd need to change the angle to know how much of a pain the manual angle change would be. I was looking at the HLA site and the closest dealers to SW Ohio are in Missouri and New York. Both are over 6 hours away. Do they have any dealers not listed on their site? I'd like to get a quote on the HLA blade so that I can comparison shop. If the AF10F had a hydraulic kit, I'd just start with the manual angle and upgrade if necessary with a hydraulic angle kit.
I agree, mine is still manual angle for now, I'd like someday to make it hydraulic but it's the cost of the third function. Like I said earlier, I have developed a system for doing mine that I only change angle 3 times, yours doesn't sound that much different, and the truth is it is not really that big of a deal to get off the tractor a few times and turn the blade.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Their dealer listing on their site is poor or outdated. My local Deer chain dealer carries HLA but isn’t listed-try a couple dealers around you (even the non green ones) or call HLA and ask.

Bonus on the HLA line, they are available in matching JD green !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder if the paint issue with CTA was an anomaly then. Their product looks very heavy duty, even a bit more than the AT10F. Now it comes down to the question of whether or not I want to pay roughly $700 more (which includes) for the CTA loader plow with hydraulic angling.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been looking at it and I think it is really more comparable to the AF11 series. When you add hydraulic to that it adds up to a ton of savings for the CTA 72". Hmm.... =)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I definitely agree that the CTA blade looks closer to the AF11. If you go with that thinking, CTA is about a $1000 cheaper compared to the AF11 and hydraulic angle option. I still would need a diverter valve since I wouldn't be keen on losing the curl functionality.

·
Premium Member
13,663 Posts
I definitely agree that the CTA blade looks closer to the AF11. If you go with that thinking, CTA is about a $1000 cheaper compared to the AF11 and hydraulic angle option. I still would need a diverter valve since I wouldn't be keen on losing the curl functionality.
The cost of the 3rd function was the stumbling block for me last fall when building mine. Maybe this year, I was just looking at them today online, the Artillian looks like the most fairly priced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The cost of the 3rd function was the stumbling block for me last fall when building mine. Maybe this year, I was just looking at them today online, the Artillian looks like the most fairly priced.
I have searched for diverter kits and Artillian is definitely the best value considering you get everything you need in their kit. Only thing that comes close in price to CTA + Artillian diverter kit is the blade and angling kit from Extreme Metal Products. However Extreme's plow doesn't look as sturdy and I don't like how the angling seems really slow for some reason.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
s012adh
I e-mailed CTA asking that basic question about needing a diverter valve to use the hydraulic angle function and they stated that the angle function could be ran off of the SCV curl function therefore saving the cost of the diverter. I am no hydraulic expert so a bit confused about the need of the diverter valve to run the angle capability. Any insight you can offer is appreciated.

my question to CTA "Not sure if you can answer this but being this is a loader mounted attachment does the angle function have to run off of a diverter valve or can you use the lines for the curl function of the SCV?

his e-mail response "You can use the curlfunction. I recommend capping the loader curl lines on the loader with a needlevalve to prevent leakage and it allows pressure relief to hook back up. ($60)"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
s012adh
I e-mailed CTA asking that basic question about needing a diverter valve to use the hydraulic angle function and they stated that the angle function could be ran off of the SCV curl function therefore saving the cost of the diverter. I am no hydraulic expert so a bit confused about the need of the diverter valve to run the angle capability. Any insight you can offer is appreciated.

my question to CTA "Not sure if you can answer this but being this is a loader mounted attachment does the angle function have to run off of a diverter valve or can you use the lines for the curl function of the SCV?

his e-mail response "You can use the curlfunction. I recommend capping the loader curl lines on the loader with a needlevalve to prevent leakage and it allows pressure relief to hook back up. ($60)"
I have read about other people using the curl function but that isn't functionality I really want to give up. If you hook up to the curl function, you would not be able to adjust the tilt of your blade. If you think you are ok with that, then that option would work for you. The thing to keep in mind with doing that is you can angle the blade and raise and lower it only; you can't tilt the blade forwards or backwards.

The advantage of a diverter valve is that you won't loose any functionality. You can have curl and blade angling. The diverter kit Artillian has is really nice. How it works is that you press a button (usually located on your joystick) and the diverter will "switch" and run the hydraulics for the blade angling. As soon as you let go of the button, the diverter with switch back to run the hydraulics for curl.

Hope this helps clear things up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts