Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you feel it is necessary to roll your seed bed after planting a food plot? If so, what do you use?

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
I use a light disking, a spike-tooth harrow will work, cultipacker, anything to get good seed/soil contact. ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
We use...........

A 48" TSC Roller, filled with water. We've tried it several ways: Prepare the seed bed with disk only, Prepare the seed bed with roto-till, Seed and drag with chain link fence. But our best success has been that we pack the seed with 'something'! Truth be told, I'd rather do it with a cultipacker, but don't have one! So the roller seems to work! Watching Craig'sList however....... ~Scotty

·
Registered
372 Posts
The areas I have worked on have not been "tilled" as enough to plant a row crop field would be tilled.
I just go over the grass, sod, weeds, what ever has been there with my home made cultivator. I have 17 chissel points if 5' giving a spacing of 3-3/4". I go over the area enough to really rough up the existing vegitation very badly. Broad cast what ever seed I have, usually by hand.

Then I run a light pass with the cultivator cross ways to what I originally ran it. Then run the tractor back and forth to kinda, sorta pack it. (turf tires)

I only do small patches in any one place, largest being a little less than 1/2 acre.

Seems to work well enough............. And it is cheap.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts