Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I went into the Case IH dealer in town (of course wearing my JD hat and carrying what appears to be a JD part), about 20 minutes until they closed. Nobody was in there, except this young lady (about 25 years old ) at the counter. I rolled my eyes and thought, no way is she gonna be able to help me. Sexist maybe, but statistically I get really poor technical service from women, who are quick to refer people to the nearest man - which needs to change, but that's a different story. She greeted me and asked the model number. Of course, I didn't have it, but she quickly said, it looks like one off a hundred series, but not the arm. She said, yeah, I think it is. She pulled up the part and schematics and said we don't have any in, but you should reach out to shoup instead. They have them I think. My jaw dropped. The whole interaction was about 10 minutes, and she even printed out the schematics and part numbers to provide shoup.

So...JD and Case IH dealer have no replacement. Thats fine. I called shoup, and they gave me measurements of what we think is the replacement. I need to measure the bearing stem, which will require me to remove the wheel. After removing the set screw and a few pounds of the hammer, it still didn't come off. Vise Time! I'll let ya know.

I also began painting the cultivator green. Pictures to come.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Progress - I was able to remove the wheel bearing stem from the wheel arm. Whoa, that took some effort. Vise, two guys, a torch, hot oil, and heavy pounding. Sounds terrible, but that's what is was. Here's a picture of us heating up the bracket to free up the bearing stem.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Progress - I was able to remove the wheel bearing stem from the wheel arm. Whoa, that took some effort. Vise, two guys, a torch, hot oil, and heavy pounding. Sounds terrible, but that's what is was. Here's a picture of us heating up the bracket to free up the bearing stem.
View attachment 726511
Did you use any Kroil Penetrant? Best I’ve ever seen for things like this.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No I didn't. We used what was laying around, WD40 and motor oil - ikr? I typically use Break Away, but I will have to try Kroil Penetrant! Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
538 Posts
WD & motor oil are excellent for assembling parts but don't do anything as a penetrant. PB Blaster is good, but Kroil is THE BEST that I've found also. It was first developed for industrial use and could only be purchased through a company site. Since then, maybe 10 years ago, it's been made available for public sale. I've seen it in auto parts stores, Walmart, etc.

A word of cation on PB Blaster: READ THE LABEL!! I saw several cans on a shelf, grabbed one, and used it...NOTHING! THEN I read the label, "Dry Film Lubricant." ALL of the cans are very similr in appearance so the label must be read.After getting the correct can "Penetrant", it worked! Bob

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good to know on PB Blaster! I used to use that but not anymore. I will pick up a can of Kroil!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good to know on PB Blaster! I used to use that but not anymore. I will pick up a can of Kroil!
A++ ... Kroll is the way to go ... Been using it for years, never found anything that works as good.
G

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just bought two cans of Kroil online from the manufacturer. Kano laboratories. It’s made about 1.5 miles from my office in Nashville. They have a google sale going on right now. Check it out. $21 for two cans shipped. Like I said, it’s the best penetrant I’ve ever used. Supposed to be able to penetrate into cracks as small as one millionth of an inch.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I was late to the Kroil purchase party. Their link doesn't have the sale anymore. I don't really need it anymore on this project, but there will be others (rubbing my hand together feverishly). When I find it, I will buy a can.

Progress Report - I finally for both wheels entirely disassembled. I decided to refurbish them rather than buy the entire assembly. From Shoup, I bought new bearings and tires. Links to products below. I did upgrade and purchase stainless steel bolts, nuts and lock washers for the wheels assembly.

I was reviewing my salvaged S tine clamps. I have four different types and will mostly require different bolts, which plucks at my every nerve. The one I have the most of is 7/16, which is harder to find than 1/2. Instead of going through the bolt show, I simply purchased 12 new S tine clamps, requiring 3 1/2 by 1/2 inch carriage bolt.

I am going sand blast the wheels, and begin priming. I would like them to be yellow, but I don't want to go buy a can of yellow paint, so they may just end up being green. We'll see what I come up with.

As for paint, the S tines are done. The sweeps are attached. The cultivator is painted. This week I will begin assembling the 3 pt hardware. Should have this wrapped up in the next couple weeks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I knew those rubber tires wouldn't be cheap … Good thing you only needed two … :unsure:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
@Gwizz - yeah they were expensive. Everything is. Good thing it's only two! I figured this implement will last many years, so I went ahead and got them. I told my Grandpa I bought new tires and bearings, and he said that was the best choice, which was interesting, since he earlier mentioned that keeping the wheel assembly intact was the "best" choice. Grandpa and I need to work on our communication, lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was late to the Kroil purchase party. Their link doesn't have the sale anymore. I don't really need it anymore on this project, but there will be others (rubbing my hand together feverishly). When I find it, I will buy a can.
Go back to the Kano Labs website and click on the Risk Free Trial offer. You can get a free can of AeroKroil or any Aerosol product with the purchase of Kroil. Order a $15 can of aeroKroil and get a free aerosol can of your choice. With shipping, it’ll be about the same price as the google sale. $22.

I would get a free cab of the Kroil Lube with Silicone if I were to order again.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I ordered the Kroil! Thanks Sharpie!

I got the wheels sand blasted, primed and painted. This painting dry time is killing my progress. This weekend I am bringing the cultivator frame out to the shop to hook up to the tractor. Starting to get real!

• Ordered Grade 5 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch bolts/nuts. Should be here today or tomorrow.
  • Gauge wheel rubber and new bearings arrived
  • S tines are painted - Done
  • Recut/reweld square u bolts for wheel mounts
  • Paint square u bolts
  • Adjustable bars on the cultivator painted - Done
  • First coat of JD yellow paint on wheels
  • First coat of JD green on wheel bars, and wheel arm brackets
  • Second coat drying on arm washers
  • Assemble wheel assembly [dependent on wheel paint] [high risk]
  • Assemble adjustable arms on cultivator
  • Assemble 3 pt arm pins and quick hitch adapters
  • Cultivator fit post paint
  • Assemble S tines to frame
  • Mount wheel assembly to cultivator
  • Test use
Next I will send pics of these new tires. I already know the wheel assembly is going to be difficult.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I ordered the Kroil! Thanks Sharpie.

I already know the wheel assembly is going to be difficult.
You’re welcome.

If the tires press on, Put the wheels in the freezer and keep the new tires warm. Lube the tires up with some soap.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yeah, I am thinking wheels in the deep freeze for a few hours before, and somehow heating up the tires (wrapping in aluminum foil and baking them in the oven at very low heat). Then lube up and and use C clamps to compress the wheel together, enough to get bolts on. Maybe overkill but I want this to be successful without marring the paint on the wheels. I am open for suggestions other than what I posted.

I posted a picture of the old and new wheel stacked. The top old wheel is about 30 years, where the new wheel underneath it is brand new. See the wheel opening differences, lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you know anyone who has a shop press would be ideal. Carry the wheel in an ice chest and put the hot tires in another insulated chest

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It was sunny, a warmer day than usual, and I caught Grandpa in a good mood. We had a great afternoon... and productive! I got the bare cultivator bar hooked up tot the tractor and brought it over to the shop. There I was able to put on the quick hitch mounts and the tines on. It's starting to come together! Now the wheels and some paint touch up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Since the frame from the donor was larger and the frame I am building, I had to cut the square U bolts threads a bit further down. Here I am cutting new threads on the homemade square U bolts. This was a great learning experience. Never cut threads before. These day with everything being manufactured I haven't needed to. Glad my Grandpa was able to walk me through it. We ran out of time today, but this week I will attempt putting the wheels together and mounting them on the cultivator. I do have some final touches I need to do to it before I perform a test run that I didn't anticipate. Later I will remake my list of tasks and post it.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts