Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I spent 2 and a half hours tiling my garden yesterday between corn rows with my Kombi tiller, I decided that I need a single row cultivator. I did some searching and like the Tarter/County Line ones at TSC for about $300.

I floated this by the CFO and was denied. Apparently I'm done buying tractor stuff until I build her the on-suite addition to the master bedroom. So I spent the night last night working up plans, a material list and cost estimate. Hopefully I can get that project started soon so I can buy my cultivator before next garden season.

During all of this, I remembered something I found on our property down by the steam. I remembered seeing some old tractor implement buried in the bushes. I took a walk today to go pull it out and see if I could use anything from it to make a cultivator.

Lo and behold, it was a cultivator. Some parts had trees growing between pieces, and obviously it's very rusty, but it is solid. I saw some remnants of green paint.

After I got back, with some googling, I found that it looks like a cultivator for a John Deere B?

Now to my question. Are these things worth anything? Is there any collector value here? My plan was to weld up a 3pt to one of the sides and use it until I can get a proper 3pt cultivator. Or, if it works good enough, I may use it indefinitely.

My concern is that I'd be ruining a piece that may have some value. From looking at pictures of John Deere B cultivators online, it seems that most of the pieces are there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know where bouts your located but the Tractor Supply in Marysville, OH, had 2 cultivators on discount because they had some rust on em and they wanted to get new units in. I got one of em tonight and was able to talk em down to 250, savin 50 off list. It's very possible you've solved your problem by now, but if not thought I'd throw that by ya if ya hadn't. Have a good day.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a timely revival of this thread. I plan to pull the cultivators out of the woods and weld up a 3pt mount in the next couple of weeks.
I don't know where bouts your located but the Tractor Supply in Marysville, OH, had 2 cultivators on discount because they had some rust on em and they wanted to get new units in. I got one of em tonight and was able to talk em down to 250, savin 50 off list. It's very possible you've solved your problem by now, but if not thought I'd throw that by ya if ya hadn't. Have a good day.
They were 300, now they're 430 at my store. For 430 bucks I'll try fabing up the old one.

If it was me I'd buy the wife a new pair of gloves and send her out to the garden if she wants fresh home grown vegtables. After pulling weeds by hand for a few hours while you're working on the addition she might go to TSC and help you load your new cultivator.
Haha, the addition never happened, but we're still saving for the it. The wife won't be doing any weeding this year. 3 young kids and pregnant with the 4th.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I just picked up an old Case 3 pt 4 row cultivator I’m going to cut down for my 2025. Much heavier than the new ones.
I found a three point frame from an old rotary cutter on FB Marketplace that I’m using to make a three point toolbar for my one row planter. If you can find something like that it will save you a lot of fabrication work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is a timely revival of this thread. I plan to pull the cultivators out of the woods and weld up a 3pt mount in the next couple of weeks.
They were 300, now they're 430 at my store. For 430 bucks I'll try fabing up the old one.

I can't believe they went up that much!! Like I said I got lucky with that rusty one I found there last night. Good luck with your project!!!

Attachments

Reactions: MTB98

·
Registered
653 Posts

Haha, the addition never happened, but we're still saving for the it. The wife won't be doing any weeding this year. 3 young kids and pregnant with the 4th.

Most hardware stores are having sales on hoes, rakes and shovels this time of year. You sound like a quick learner so using the old fashion tools will be no problem for you.
Good luck

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm interested to see how that contraption works out. And I say contraption because that's what it looked like when it was brand new. My parts store had PB Blaster on sale when I was in there the last time. You may need a case.

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
I'm interested to see how that contraption works out. And I say contraption because that's what it looked like when it was brand new. My parts store had PB Blaster on sale when I was in there the last time. You may need a case.
ahh-no contraption there-i put a lot of time on one cultivating corn back when i was a kid. i used one that had hydraulics to raise it and of course the hand one too. neighbor had a Allis-chamers wd45--now i really enjoyed using that one too.

i hope the OP good luck with his project. my aunt still has a set sitting on the hill--it was meant for a jdB-but when my step-pap bought his model 50-it had to be changed some to fit it. it will rust up before she will sell any thing that my uncle had-shame.

Reactions: gdow
1 - 10 of 10 Posts