Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to expand the sweet corn patch for next year and thinking about a cultivator to keep the weeds out. We don’t use any herbicides in the garden, generally just use a Hoss wheel hoe in the corn a few times until it grows enough to shade most of the weeds out. I’ve found a couple different cultivators for reasonable price. One is an old Dearborn two row that looks to be in decent shape. The other is an IH 6 row that has some worn out parts. I’d cut the 6 row down to a 1,2 or 3 row unit depending on how heavy it would end up being. Anyone have thoughts on which way to go here? I’d use either the 2025 or an old Ford tractor to pull it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
what's the clearance of the ford? The 2025 would definitely be easier to use but the lack of clearance might not make it ideal for cultivating corn.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Ford has about 18” of clearance under the axles outside edge. The 2025 has about 12”. Either tractor would probably work ok, the spacing is different for both and would require different cultivator setup behind the tractor. I’m just looking for ideas about cutting down an old larger one as opposed to using a smaller one that was built that way.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I used to cultivate with two row on a 3 point and only did it for one year because layout has to be absolutely perfect on row spacing otherwise you are running over crops and/or cutting them out with the sweeps when trying to make corrections. I ended up buying an old BF Avery (similar to farmall cub) with a mid mount cultivator just for cultivating. I could get a lot closer to the plants and way easier to navigate. It actually took me less time going single row then it did doing double row on 3 point.

As for the cultivator. I would go with the one that had the easiest adjustment. Some of the commercial models are set so all you have to do is loosen an assembly on a toolbar and it will adjust the complete set for the whole row. Some also have gage wheels so it floats to keep the sweeps from digging too deep.

It's a tough decision to make because the 2025 being hydro and narrower would make things easier but a 12" clearance limits you to on when you can no longe cultivate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a one row Deere cultivator that was made from a larger cultivator. I use it to cultivate sweet corn. I pull behind my 1025r without any problems. One row unit would work with the 2025r.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
I have some experience with this. This is a 6 row case turned into a 4 row or technically a 3 row. It is a pain which I will go into later but hopefully posting this reminds me to do that
5EE692B0-77EB-493D-BD26-934E8CCD5640.jpeg
0F30CC1B-7D72-4C83-829A-5D3183223E27.jpeg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts