Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's two soft spots just beyond the wetland boundary on my driveway (swamp road). Yesterday I put 15yds of tailings in the first one, and today I unearthed the demon beneath the second. Even with that much base, the first was unable to support the tractor without massive rutting.

As I finished up for the day, I dug a trench across the whole width of the soft spot in the first. It's 19' wide and 18" to the water line. Hopefully the trench lowers the water level in the surrounding soil so I can at least not sink walking around the worksite. The question remains - what to put in the hole?

I don't know how far uphill from these furrows (that's the source of water) I'll be able to dig without a mini-ex.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
wet land

jim timber; wow that is wet looking, we used to cut and lay locust trees in small little creeks to cross and they held up good and the water still drained thru them too. now don't take this the wrong way but---- I think I would take ur hunting dog and gun and go looking for some rabbit's to shoot at in that swamp land u got their my friend.:lolol: big jim:rocket:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Sitting here looking at your pics and what you have to work with...I don't have a clue. I did think of something but don't think it will work. Thought..."get some beavers (the 4 legged kind with a flat tail) and have them dam the source". Only thing I could think of. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
8,131 Posts
Not sure whether the lay of the land is level or sloped. If it is sloped you may be able to dig a ditch uphill of the roadway area to drain-off the water. Does this area dry out at all? I'm sure it would be easier to work with when dried out. If it's always wet that complicates things further.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 weeks ago we got 3.5" of rain over a period of 2 days. That softened up the ground considerably.

These last two soft spots are all that's keeping me from the 81 acres of high ground I own. This is the bottom of a shallow ridge that runs off into my spring fed swamp. This ground is 10x firmer than the muck I built the road over, but it's still soggy and apparently closer to the water table than I thought.

We don't have too many bunnies. There's an abundance of mice, so I don't hunt or trap fox, and the fox kill tha wabbits.

I think I'm going to give my neck a rest and work on some other stuff today while I let the brain work on a solution. This road needs to be passable by minivan.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
tough issue

As a blind suggestion, I would think you should put a culvert in and may have to dig ditches parallel to your road to divert water into the culvert on the upstream side. It seems that water wants to flow from one side of your road to the other and you might as well provide a place to let it flow. My worry would be if there is no reasonable outlet on the downstream side the water still won't move away from your road. That could be a real issue.

Treefarmer

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
jim timber; :lol:I was referring to the Beverly hillbilly's of jed clampert hunting and hitting oil in his swamp!!:lolol:remember he was a shooting at a rabbit and u poped oil, aw come on surely u watched the hillbilly's as a kid.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got black sand about 500' from where that pic was taken. I'm not looking for no oil. :mocking:

And, yes, I watched a lot of Beverly Hillbillies when I was growing up in the years before cable tv came to town. :laugh:

So on a very positive note - I bought a couple pieces of 4" PVC and a straight coupler when I was in town today. Then when I was trying to get a straighter shot to lay that pipe in I made a discovery which just about made my day: HARD bottom! We've got rock hard sand below the top soil in this spot.

So that means I just need to lay fill over the area instead of mushing it into the mud, and keep rolling up hill.

I still put that pipe in the bottom. It'll be there if I need to dig out a drain on the high side. I think some mini-excavator seat time is definitely in my future to re-route the surface water flow. Getting the tailings will be an afternoon's work to get back to working on getting the cargo container up the hill. I'm going to talk to the Mrs. about money tomorrow and see what she wants to do. I can probably have Scott hauling fill on Friday since it's supposed to rain (he likes windshield time when he can't do other stuff). Maybe 3 or 4 more loads to get things thickened up and above the waterlogged soil. I was almost done pushing out all the mud in the first hole if I'd have just stayed to the right side of it (down hill edge). Now that I stirred it all up, that one's going to take some work to fix up again.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More pics from the "fun" -

This is what it looked like after a couple scoops of tailings: all is good right?

So lets move those little sticks so we can replace them with bigger ones...

This is what I ended up putting the PVC down into. Surprisingly enough, with tailings pushed all the way down (2' or so) to the hard pan bottom, I could drive up to the cut edge without pushing the side out of the trench. That taconite is good chit!

The above pic is yesterdays trench before it filled with water over night.

This is what it looked like after I moved it closer to the swamp and took a couple more scoops out and got the outlet side a bit lower before sinking the pipe. I didn't get any pics of that since I was trying to finish up so I could head home.

After my chances of driving up the hill were gone yesterday, I switched gears and did some felling in the area just above the gorge(s). Chainsaws make me happy.

This is looking towards the swamp (the split tree trunk was done by the tractor prior to breaking the trail open and promptly sinking into it).

This is looking up the hill.

I had the Mrs. and kiddo's assistance in stacking some of this while I went into town for supplies. They think they're more helpful than they are though. Their idea of hard work is spending an hour moving 10 minutes worth of stuff; which of course was reason to take a nap (the Mrs.) and play Nintendo DS the rest of the day (kiddo). These two think they're going to help me with the firewood business. I'm not holding my breath. :hide:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to mention, we bumped a couple does out of my garden site (where the container is headed next) about 100yds up from where I've been working. There were all kinds of tracks in the mud around the freshly lowered tops (not surprising in the slightest). I'm going to be really popular with the deer this year if I can make a go of logging off my aspen as planned.

·
Registered
714 Posts
What's the first thing you know?

·
Corndog Hater
11,773 Posts
I had the Mrs. and kiddo's assistance in stacking some of this while I went into town for supplies. They think they're more helpful than they are though. Their idea of hard work is spending an hour moving 10 minutes worth of stuff; which of course was reason to take a nap (the Mrs.) and play Nintendo DS the rest of the day (kiddo). These two think they're going to help me with the firewood business. I'm not holding my breath. :hide:
Must be your Mrs. and kiddos went to the same work training school as mine?:unknown:

I do appreciate their help though, sometimes it's not the effort I hope for, but any little bit, is less that I have to do.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She called me a crazy person when I had them "helping" add wood to the swamp trail during it's initial construction (I got about 2.5hrs of assistance in 3 years). :banghead: Work doesn't do itself. Big projects = big accomplishments = big energy requirements. You don't achieve much when you never put the effort into it. I'm trying to instill that into kiddo, but he's not getting it yet. I didn't at his age either, so I don't belabor him over it like my dad did. Then again, when I was 3 months from 13yrs old I already had a pretty respectable inventory of skills - carpentry, auto mechanics, electronics... He knows poke mon.

The Mrs. isn't that much smaller than me (5'11 and not dainty: an Amazon :lol: ), but she's every bit a city kid and doesn't know what 16 hours of hard labor is (I'd be thrilled to death with 4 on a weekend, I'm not a slave driver). Frankly, I'd love to send both of them through the first week of BCT just so they can get an idea of what work should look like. I don't think they know! :dunno:

When kiddo hits 18, he better move away for college because he's getting booted out of my buildings. If he expects to live with us, he's going to have to build his own house on the property (I might even help). :nunu:

·
Corndog Hater
11,773 Posts
My 2 boys are 10 and 12. The 10 year old is on par with yours, but will help when asked. The 12 year old wants to mow, and do work. My only concern with him is making sure he takes his time and respects the equipment because things can go wrong in the blink of an eye. My parents were divorced when I was little. My dad built a new house when I was 11 and I spent every weekend helping him work on finishing the house, yard, etc. That was my weekend time with him and all day work days, every weekend weren't what I had in mind as a kid and I soon began to resent it. So, I don't force my kids into slave labor, but try to encourage them to appreciate what they have and appreciate the work that goes into it. I also appreciate (and let them know I do) what help they can give. I also know that it can't always be work time, we all need to have fun (time away from the work) too. Now, Mrs. CP....she grew up in a totally different environment. She is a country girl. But in her house, the men did the work outside. The women cleaned and cooked. Our house is soooooo not that. She isn't afraid to get her hands dirty. Heck she is the one who stained the front and back porches Mem. Day weekend while I spread mulch. But, she does require more frequent breaks. But hey, I am not complaining.....:good2:

Very blessed for what I have.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Mrs. is complaining of aches and pains claiming it's because she's getting old. Her idea of working out isn't even working out (I used to power lift back in my late teens). I don't think she knows what after-work pains are, or that they get better if you keep pushing yourself. :laugh:

I do love them for who they are and the help they offer. I'm more interested in making sure kiddo has a well rounded skill set than getting free labor out of him. The self-starter gene is missing from his father's side of the pool (he's not biologically mine, his dad died of cancer when he was 3). Weekends during school are down time, so when he was watching tv and playing his DS most of the day yesterday I didn't say a word about it. I try to observe the Sabbath myself, but sometimes that doesn't work either.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Three more loads of fill should be waiting for me when I head up later this week. I'm going to top dress the area as I had been doing going over the swamp. Should be a workable solution until I get the uphill side drainage fixed to dry it out permanently.

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
Three more loads of fill should be waiting for me when I head up later this week. I'm going to top dress the area as I had been doing going over the swamp. Should be a workable solution until I get the uphill side drainage fixed to dry it out permanently.
Jim of you ever have down time, I would dress out that area where you put in the pipe on both sides; one lower than the other (can't tell with the pictures but you must have some difference in elevation) to create an area where the water can flow through the pipe and you will never have the mud come back (as long as the pipe doesn't get clogged up, put some filter fabric on both ends and it will stay clear for a while anyway along with some rocks around the sides of the pipe).. Tailings are great but you will still get mud on the top dressing if the water cannot flow away.. Makes me want to go out and put in another road with the 450E.. I love doing that stuff. Good luck.. JT

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In thinking about this spot a bit more, I'll be home free when I get the turn-out area done and it dries out. Just to the North side of this spot will be a somewhat large pad and intersection of the swamp crossing, driveway up to the house, and then another road up to what will soon become my gravel pit and eventually a pistol shooting range. The whole area is a slope with the swamp at the bottom. (see map below)

The furrow that feeds this mud will be diverted further up the hill and I'll put in some water bars. The second sloppy section up is also furrow fed, but it's not as deep and it's higher elevation so the bottom is further from the water table. When I hit sand, that could be very close to the swamp's water level. By filling over with the tailings, it'll buy me time to do the other work needed, while getting my lighter use of the road possible.

My cargo container is in the yard (what's normally grass) at my in-laws cabin across the street from my property. I need to get it out of there ASAP. Getting to the other side of this mud will get me to where there's only trees and stumps to deal with to make that happen, so the expedient solution right now is to bridge it with fill. I can dress it down later when I get the water problem fixed.

So I made a little updated map that isn't entirely accurate (the topo and imagery isn't correctly set on the lot lines), but it's close enough to show you what's going on. The lot line is blue (this is the top 2/3 or so of my North 40), culverts are light blue, the mud holes are green, the big arrow points to where the house will go (off screen), and the rest should be self-explanatory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts