Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering how many hours some folks have on these little tractors. I have seen a 2520 with 700 hours and I am sure some folks have more than that. I only have 20 on my 2520 so I have a long ways to go. Just curious .

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine is almost a year old and has a little over 100 hours.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Going from memory here.

2305 = 185 hrs = 2009 fall machine
2520 = 335 hrs = 2008 spring machine

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,065 Posts
I was told these little engines will not last near as long as the bigger units.
My 1988 JD650 had over 1700 hours on it when I traded it and still ran fine.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I was told these little engines will not last near as long as the bigger units.
At the rate I'm going it shouldn't be an issue anyway.:mocking:

And who is spewing these "facts"?:nunu: Do they have data to support it? Are you just trying to get us riled up?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,065 Posts
At the rate I'm going it shouldn't be an issue anyway.:mocking:

And who is spewing these "facts"?:nunu: Do they have data to support it? Are you just trying to get us riled up?
I don't remember who told me or when but it was a few years back. I do remember saying "I put over 1700 hours on my 650 before I traded" and, like you, didn't think it was worth the effort to worry about it. Had the 650 for 20 years. I also said, I figure I'll be dead, won't give a damn, or trade before I put 1700 hours on the 2320.

·
Registered
264 Posts
2520 - late June 2011

2520 - late June 2011 - 38 hours

·
Corndog Hater
11,793 Posts
A whole 5 hours on the 1026R:lol:...snowblowing season just has to be coming. So far the snow falling on DT is about the most I've seen this season!:snow:

·
Registered
67 Posts
And how are they counted?

As long as we're on the topic...

My previous tractor had the hour counter calibrated to total engine rotations at 2200 RPM. So higher engine speeds would run up more than one dashboard hour per hour of use. Since the tractor spent a lot of time idling between parts of a job, I usually seemed to get about one meter hour per two hours of engine-on time.

My new 1026R seems to be counting hours a lot quicker. It might be because I'm idling less, or because the idle speed is so very high. (Still wondering why they do that, where it wastes fuel so quickly.) But I also wonder if the RPM/hours conversion is different. Anyone here know?

·
Corndog Hater
11,793 Posts
As long as we're on the topic...

My previous tractor had the hour counter calibrated to total engine rotations at 2200 RPM. So higher engine speeds would run up more than one dashboard hour per hour of use. Since the tractor spent a lot of time idling between parts of a job, I usually seemed to get about one meter hour per two hours of engine-on time.

My new 1026R seems to be counting hours a lot quicker. It might be because I'm idling less, or because the idle speed is so very high. (Still wondering why they do that, where it wastes fuel so quickly.) But I also wonder if the RPM/hours conversion is different. Anyone here know?
I don't know the answer...sorry! But I have thought the opposite. I feel as if our 1026R should have more hours on it.:unknown:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hours are hours aren't they?? I always assumed an hour was purely an hour of run time. I think I may need some education on this.

Cat

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,065 Posts
Well this is the way I understand it, could be wrong. I think I was wrong one other time in my life:mocking:.
The faster the RPM's the faster the hours accumulate. If I do work for people and expect payment I always use a watch, you'll go broke using the RPM hour meter on the tractor.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hours are hours aren't they?? I always assumed an hour was purely an hour of run time. I think I may need some education on this.

Cat
For an hour meter it measures an hour at rated RPM, so for my tractor that is 2600 RPM. If you are running a backhoe for hour but are running at 1300 (I know it is a little low but the math works out) then after an hour by the watch only a half hour would register on the hour meter. It seems weird but is a much better measure of the work a tractor has done since my hour of backhoe work has been much less stressful on the engine than an hour of loader work at rated RPM.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hours are hours aren't they?? I always assumed an hour was purely an hour of run time.
Well, on my previous tractor, the "hour" meter actually counted total revolutions. I heard somewhere that it would count actual hours at 2200 RPM, a little lower than I usually used it for loader work (ca. 2400 RPM), and higher than for backhoe (ca. 1900). PTO speed for that model was 2850 RPM, so the hours would really buzz by for someone mowing or doing other PTO work. Seems a bit deceptive to me, but what the heck.

Anyway, that's why I wondered if the 1026R actually has a digital clock, or if it counts total revolutions - and if so, at what conversion factor.

·
Administrator
20,970 Posts
The hour meter on the 1026R is real time engine run time, not based on load or RPMs.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,065 Posts

·
Administrator
20,970 Posts
Anyway, that's why I wondered if the 1026R actually has a digital clock, or if it counts total revolutions - and if so, at what conversion factor.
I answered a question. Did I beat you to it Giz? :D

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
In my observation of my 2320 and 2520 the hour meter counts the same regardless of rpm. If anything it registered more at slower than higher rpm's. But this is just an observation and absolutely no research into the matter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The hour meter on the 1026R is real time engine run time, not based on load or RPMs.
Well, here's one data point to support that: had the machine out today for 1.1 hours indicated, and exactly 66 minutes by the clock on my phone. (Bit of a coincidence, actually, since the start and end times are each +/- 0.1 hour.) About half of that time was at bottom idle, and half between 2200-2500 RPM, all way below PTO speed. I'll check again sometime with the machine sitting idling for a while.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts