Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have had it with the Curtis Cab heating system! The blower just doesn't defrost the windshield or heat the cab.
Anyone have the same issue or has upgraded to a new heating system? What did you do to achieve nirvana? Today, I ran into a fellow JD owner that has "Upgraded" by modifying the Cab to utilize a "JEGS" Heater 70601. Anyone....Anyone.... Anyone?:think:

·
Premium Member
15,075 Posts
I have a heater core from a Ventrac and a Original Tractor cab,,no way is it air tight, compared to your Curtis.
I admit at times my feet get cooled off to being cold but not freezing. I can blow or plow snow all day and feel comfortable. Temps near or around 0°

For the first 30 mins yes, I wear gloves, after that time I can be go the rest of the time without gloves, and unzip my sweatshirt.

Just wondering ,has it always been this way ? I think you posted the other day, you had a leak , can't remember if you had to remove the hoses to fix your leak. I'm wondering if you have a air bubble in your line.

Yes antifreeze will flow throw the heater core but not the full amount , like a blockage.. Loosen one of the hoses after temp gauge rises or you see movement in the radiator . If good flow at one side of heater core then loosen the other side of the heater core. Of course retighten the hose after you have a good flow .See if this helps. !!

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Are the feed and return hoses hot? Is the shut-off valve open? Is the system full of coolant? Thermostat bad or too low @ 160*F? From what I've heard the heater should almost roast you out of the cab.

Reactions: KE8LW

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Ok, I have had it with the Curtis Cab heating system! The blower just doesn't defrost the windshield or heat the cab.
Anyone have the same issue or has upgraded to a new heating system? What did you do to achieve nirvana? Today, I ran into a fellow JD owner that has "Upgraded" by modifying the Cab to utilize a "JEGS" Heater 70601. Anyone....Anyone.... Anyone?:think:
Here's your link to the Jegs universal "hot rod" heater: JEGS Performance Products 70601, JEGS Hot Rod Heaters | JEGS Performance Products

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Both sides of the hoses are red hot. Just no heat coming from the heater itself. A poor amount if any. Just doesn't add up. It has been this way since new from the dealer. leak is fixed. "Tomorrow" I'm going to tear into it....... I'm frozen!

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Both sides of the hoses are red hot. Just no heat coming from the heater itself. A poor amount if any. Just doesn't add up. It has been this way since new from the dealer. leak is fixed.
I wonder if it could be air bound? Usually when this is the case both hoses aren't equally hot. Is your fan blowing warm air out of the heater box ducts? Any chance the blower motor is wired wrong? Reverse polarity would cause the blower fan to rotate in the wrong direction. Maybe upgrade to the higher temperature thermostat?

·
Premium Member
15,075 Posts
Both sides of the hoses are red hot. Just no heat coming from the heater itself. A poor amount if any. Just doesn't add up. It has been this way since new from the dealer. leak is fixed.
Both hoses are hot. Still could be a bubble in the hose , no shut off valve before going into heater core or on the other hose. ? Just wondering if heater core is blocked .
I think I would take the core out of the cab and hook the garden hose or water line to see if good flow of water.
The core I have is guessing , 4 or 5" W maybe 7" L and 1 1/2-2" thick..
OH ,,,,what size our the heater hoses. Mine are either 5/8" or 3/4" for some reason it was suppose to only have 1/2" lines . My dealer suggested going to next larger size because of lack of heat.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the "fan" is blowing out much at all. Gong to check the polarity. Does any one know if it's a two speed fan or just one? I rock my switch and it seems to make no difference at all. Seems to be on Low all the time. Heat is very minimal if at all. Windshield is always frosted over.

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
Not to add to the confusion here....but had a similar issue with my big truck (Volvo) and a mechanic not paying attention.....

They changed out the heater core. Went to pick it up (winter time) and didn't get any heat after 10 miles down the road. Turned around and went back. After an hour of him messing around (my mail is late now.....), the supervisor came over, and after watching for 2 mintues had me shut the truck down. He swapped the heater hoses - fired it back up and heat blasted out the vents. Here there is a check valve in the heater core that only allows flow one way - mechanic didn't pay attention and reversed the hoses on installation.

This theory would not be right however if both your hoses are hot. But......you never know. Do you have enough hose length to swap the hoses? When you said it has been like this since coming new I wonder if it isn't something like this.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Along with the 2-speed fan question... does anyone have a photo of the correct Hose connection routing?

·
Premium Member
15,075 Posts
Along with the 2-speed fan question... does anyone have a photo of the correct Hose connection routing?
Mine came with a 3 speed fan. if no one else post a picture. If nothing else it will show where my dealer made the connections on the engine . Some dealers connect at different places. I'll try and get one tomorrow or by the latest Thu. ..

Reactions: HouseMouse

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
You always want to feed a heater core from the bottom which will allow it to fill and purge itself of air. If you look at the nipples on the heater core one will connect to the bottom and another to the top. Make sure that the direction of flow from the engine feeds the bottom tube and returns from the top tube of the core and back to the cooling system. Reverse flow will always cause a partial fill of the core resulting in poor heater performance.

·
Premium Member
15,075 Posts
You always want to feed a heater core from the bottom which will allow it to fill and purge itself of air. If you look at the nipples on the heater core one will connect to the bottom and another to the top. Make sure that the direction of flow from the engine feeds the bottom tube and returns from the top tube of the core and back to the cooling system. Reverse flow will always cause a partial fill of the core resulting in poor heater performance.
Mine has the feed and return on the bottom of core.....

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Mine has the feed and return on the bottom of core.....
Gene,

The feed and return may both exit the housing at the bottom but most likely if you follow the tubes they should eventually connect to the top and bottom of the core. Then again, there's the possibility that it may be a cross flow core. I kind of doubt it though being a low volume system. I have a kit on the shelf in my barn. If I have some time I'll check it out and report back.

Reactions: HouseMouse

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought a core from a catalog outfit in Omaha. 12500 btu. It was 3 speed fan. I plumbed it with 5/8 heater hose. I held the ends up, filled one side with a funnel. When the other hose showed fluild it was full and all air removed. I then put quick connects on each hose. I have quick connects comoing off the water pump as well. Mine throws a lot of heat. I can take my gloves off remove my heavy coat. I can run down the road and not be cold. Tropical its not. I have very little invested. In the spring I just undo the quick connects remove the heater box. I put a plug in the electrical. I then plug the hoses coming off the water pump into each other to form a loop. I have a 2520 with origional tractor cab. I just leave the hard top on all summer. It keeps the sun off and keeps me dry in a rain.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have the Curtis 2 speed tuck away heater also. The cab is nowhere near air tight. I have some air coming in from under the seat and around the fenders and will try to remedy that for next winter. I noticed the other day that the heater only works on the high setting now. It doesn't heat that well either when it's really cold out with the wind blowing. If the sun is out and it's 25*..........I have to shut it off. The left side of my windshield would constantly fog up last winter. I installed a fan last fall and that helped big time. I'll have to check which way my hoses are connected. I didn't think it made a difference when I installed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just waiting for it to warm up a bit more before I head out to the barn. -24F this morning...... (Uggg!) I will take photos of anything that seems out of place or of interest in comments or opinions.

Reactions: budman

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts