Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the piranha tooth bar on now, when winter sets in I will be taking it off. Any thoughts on a good bolt on cutting edge for my loader bucket? I don't have a snow blower so I will be using the bucket on concrete, thoughts or ideas?

Thnxs
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a bolt on wear bar made by WR Long and sold by everything attachments on my 2032r it uses the same bolt holes as the toothbar made by WR Long
That might be the ticket and not have to drill more holes in the bucket, Thnxs

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I have the piranha tooth bar on now, when winter sets in I will be taking it off. Any thoughts on a good bolt on cutting edge for my loader bucket? I don't have a snow blower so I will be using the bucket on concrete, thoughts or ideas?

Thnxs
Greg
Look no further. I e-mailed BxPanded a month ago. Harry makes a "non-piranha" straight edge that bolts on in the same holes and in the same manner as the Piranha Bar. It is also the same price as the Piranha. It wasn't on his website when I last looked, but he can set you up if you e-mail him. I also inquired about a replaceable poly edge for the straight edge bar and he was going to get some quotes. I need to e-mail him and get an update.

Edit: I sent him an e-mail and asked Harry to post to this thread. Hopefully he'll chime in.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I heard back from Harry at BxPanded. If you want just the straight edge, you should send him an e-mail. As for the poly edge: he has the design but hasn't sourced the material yet. Wouldn't it be nice if his design allows for the straight edge to be retrofitted with a poly edge ... Are you listening Harry? He won't be posting here as he is not yet a vendor. :dunno:

I haven't ordered the straight edge yet, but if it's the same material and quality as the Piranha bar, it could be just what I need to scrape snow and ice and protect the corners and edge of the bucket. If you order one, I'd be interested in your review.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard back from Harry at BxPanded. If you want just the straight edge, you should send him an e-mail. As for the poly edge: he has the design but hasn't sourced the material yet. Wouldn't it be nice if his design allows for the straight edge to be retrofitted with a poly edge ... Are you listening Harry? He won't be posting here as he is not yet a vendor. :dunno:

I haven't ordered the straight edge yet, but if it's the same material and quality as the Piranha bar, it could be just what I need to scrape snow and ice and protect the corners and edge of the bucket. If you order one, I'd be interested in your review.
Thanks, the update, I think this might be the best route since I have their tooth bar and really like. I will call him today and talk to him about it, I don't like to scrap my concrete but my drive is very steep and with the ice at times I have to dig in, I try to stay away from salt as it also tears the concrete up over time. Wife's not happy if she has to park at the bottom of the drive.

Thnxs
Greg

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called Harry at BXpanded today and ordered a straight cutting blade for winter. Should be here late next week, I will pop off my tooth bar and install the straight edge to save my buckets edge. I will let you know how it works out.

Greg

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm looking forward to some more information on this as I'm thinking about getting a straight edge to protect my bucket. How much of a pain are they to add? Mark holds and drill?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking forward to some more information on this as I'm thinking about getting a straight edge to protect my bucket. How much of a pain are they to add? Mark holds and drill?
I drilled some pilot holes 1st, then went bigger, as state above some lube on the bits will help prevent them from burning up, you still might go through a few bits. Don't take that long though. I already had my piranha tooth bar on so when the straight blade arrives it uses the same holes. Winter I will use the straight blade and summer tooth bar. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

My last orange tractor I just used the cutting edge on the bucket when moving snow and in two winters of moving snow on concrete about 3/8's of an inch of the bucket edge wore off. It wasn't even wear either, outer edges was worse.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I drilled some pilot holes 1st, then went bigger, as state above some lube on the bits will help prevent them from burning up, you still might go through a few bits. Don't take that long though. I already had my piranha tooth bar on so when the straight blade arrives it uses the same holes. Winter I will use the straight blade and summer tooth bar. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

My last orange tractor I just used the cutting edge on the bucket when moving snow and in two winters of moving snow on concrete about 3/8's of an inch of the bucket edge wore off. It wasn't even wear either, outer edges was worse.

Center punch, pilot hole, lube and a step drill. The bucket isn't hard steel and the step drill did nice incremental enlargements. I did have to go in from both sides on the last step. Outside fender washer needed to be trimmed so 30 mins (and a :beer:).

·
Registered
25 Posts
so after looking at the BxPanded website, you only have to drill two holes for the straight edge also? I was under the impression that their would be 8 or so holes to drill along the edge of the bucket. I guess i was wrong.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so after looking at the BxPanded website, you only have to drill two holes for the straight edge also? I was under the impression that their would be 8 or so holes to drill along the edge of the bucket. I guess i was wrong.
2 holes are required, the blade has a hook designed to lock on your buckets cutting edge.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just received my BXpanded straight cutting edge for winter use, this thing is a heavy beast!

View attachment 35857

Boy do they make nice stuff! I called last week and was told about a week out to ship, REALLY want to get one. I would like to try it this coming summer after running the piranha since I got the tractor.

Reactions: xhere

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Had a little time tonight so I was able to get the straight blade on.. Some snow tonight, I might a chance to try in out in the morning.

View attachment 35894
That is real nice! I still haven't pulled the trigger for one of Harry's straight bars as I'm waiting on a new bucket, but as soon as I have the measurements I'll be ordering one. Thanks for posting up the photos.

Reactions: xhere

·
Registered
238 Posts
Had a little time tonight so I was able to get the straight blade on.. Some snow tonight, I might a chance to try in out in the morning.

So how is the cutting edge working with the snow? How does the offset affect things?

I'm thinking about getting one and wondering if it would help with an issue I'm having. Right now if I've got the bucket level and am pushing snow in float and the leading edge starts to dig in too much, I've been just rolling the bucket up just a bit. The problem is that that can make the bucket ride more on the outside edges that extend past flush on the bottom of the bucket. This is giving me the start of shallow gouges across my concrete. I was wondering if the offset of the cutting edge might help keep the bucket off the edges when I roll the bucket back a bit....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So how is the cutting edge working with the snow? How does the offset affect things?

I'm thinking about getting one and wondering if it would help with an issue I'm having. Right now if I've got the bucket level and am pushing snow in float and the leading edge starts to dig in too much, I've been just rolling the bucket up just a bit. The problem is that that can make the bucket ride more on the outside edges that extend past flush on the bottom of the bucket. This is giving me the start of shallow gouges across my concrete. I was wondering if the offset of the cutting edge might help keep the bucket off the edges when I roll the bucket back a bit....
I've only been able to use the cutting edge 3 times in the snow, I haven't had any gouging or scraping of the concrete that I can tell. I move snow in 2 drives, the house and the shop. The shop was poured this last fall and is a little course from the finish brooming. With the rougher surface on the shop drive I have noticed some of the cutting edge with a little wear about 6" from each corner.
So far I do like it as it saves the cutting edge on the bucket.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Look no further. I e-mailed BxPanded a month ago. Harry makes a "non-piranha" straight edge that bolts on in the same holes and in the same manner as the Piranha Bar. It is also the same price as the Piranha. It wasn't on his website when I last looked, but he can set you up if you e-mail him. I also inquired about a replaceable poly edge for the straight edge bar and he was going to get some quotes. I need to e-mail him and get an update.

Edit: I sent him an e-mail and asked Harry to post to this thread. Hopefully he'll chime in.
Very good info One hard season and the edge loader bucket is gone Here for a 53 inch the cost to replace is $500-600 I am happy that i read this

1 - 20 of 22 Posts