Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a black top drive way and with winter coming how can i protect the edge of my bucket ,something that i can take on and off

·
Premium Member
14,102 Posts
Use the float position on the fel loader or front blade and you will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
I don't know of anything made to fit on a bucket but I'd guess that you could take a rubber/PVC cutting edge designed for a plow and back it with flat steel stock. You'd have to drill some holes in your bucket to hold everything in place but, if you can live with that, it may be worth the trade-off.

·
Administrator
17,265 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a bolt on wear bar uses same bolt holes as bolt on tooth bar I use this to save cutting edge on bucket got this from everything attachments made by WR Long.

·
Administrator
17,265 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Buy some black sewer and drain pipe from your local Home Depot, the smaller diameter the better. Take a skill saw and make one cut lengthwise--be very careful doing this as it probably is a little dangerous if you don't hold it down well. Now slip the pipe over the edge of your FEL and cut it to length. The snow will go over the pipe and into the bucket and any left over probably isn't worth the effort of moving.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Buy some black sewer and drain pipe from your local Home Depot, the smaller diameter the better. Take a skill saw and make one cut lengthwise--be very careful doing this as it probably is a little dangerous if you don't hold it down well. Now slip the pipe over the edge of your FEL and cut it to length. The snow will go over the pipe and into the bucket and any left over probably isn't worth the effort of moving.
Now that sounds simple. How long does it hold up?

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
I tried that for my 54 blade on the 420. used plastic conduit, didn't last through the first use! So, I drilled a piece of angle iron to fit the blade edge holes, bolted it on, then welded on some pipe: HPIM2979.JPG HPIM2980.JPG Worked great non my gravel ("3/8" chips") drive & didn't gouge the sod when blading a path to the wood pile! ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
16 Posts
Now that sounds simple. How long does it hold up?

Depends on a lot of things--how rough is your driveway, how much down pressure you use on the FEL, how many times you back up with your bucket down, etc. etc. Look, it is a cheap experiment--it might cost you $10 and some time. If you find it doesn't work in your situation, you haven't lost more than a couple of drinks at the local tavern. And a length of pipe will probably make you 2 or 3. What have you got to loose?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used the FEL edge bare for a while with minimal damage to paving and blade. Issue was breaking out chunks of asphalt where old driveway had cracked. Used mushroom skids for a few years with good re curved-bottom skid style is that small changes in loader tilt angle make it easy to set ground clearance for close cleaning or less scrape.

I finally switched to a front PTO blower; loading snow in the layout here was not efficient. But if I'd seen those edge tamers, I would have tried them - looks like a good solution.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Is gouging the expensive pavement not more of a worry than scratching the wear bar on the loader or blade?

That's how I look at it.

-J.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts