Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone do with their FEL when cutting grass?

Just raise the bucket/FEL up?
or
Disconnect it from the tractor all together?

Thanks, will be my first summer cutting grass with my 1025r.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Howdy. I leave mine and my bh on. Mostly because of my disabilities. This year may be different but I doubt it. With the fel on I can scoop or push the stray branch out of the way.

Thats just me. I live out in the sticks so there is always something going on. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Every year I say I’m going to take it off and give it a break and wind up leaving it on due to more loader tasks I’m doing. I just detatch the bucket and raise the loader arms a foot off the ground

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
I take mine off. Mama would kill me if I took out her plants or put a gash in the side of the house. She's still PO'd about the garage door header I haven't fixed yet.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Better get on that Kyle! Mother’s Day is coming up :whistle:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Same as Kbar, I drop the bucket off and leave the arms attached. It’s just easier to do and helps a lot with visibility and maneuverability. I like mowing best when the loader is off completely, but dropping the bucket seems my usual compromise.

One benefit of dropping the bucket only is I then flip the bucket face down so it doesn’t collect rain water.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I wouldn't fix it Kyle, that way it will remind you to lower the roll bar down plus when family and friends come over you can proudly say I Did That 👍

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
It is not legal to have the FEL or BH in my neighborhood while I mow the grass....So I take it off to avoid conflict, with both the neighbors,boulders and trees.

(Jking :) ) I do take them off tho....It seems weird and heavy to leave them on.

It's 4 or 5 minutes for BH on or off (Dolly) ...and 30 sec to 1 minute to drop the FEL on or off(The whole loader using SP).

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I mowed for 5 years with just the bucket removed. I have the scars in my pasture fencing corners and curves to prove it (not really curves but a series of angles that give the optical illusion of a curve).

This year I installed the single point hydraulic connector and got Load-n-Go ramps. They rank among the best uses for $1000 I have found in my life. Now I mow without the loader, and there is no way I'd ever go back.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Once in a while I leave the loader on if I am lazy but usually end up frustrated with hitting trees and stuff. Most often I pull it off, but I mow with rear mowers so that with the loader makes a real long rig. I love how easy the loader comes off and on.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I take everything off that is easy to take off when I'm mowing with the MMM. No loader, no backhoe, and not attachments if 3pt is on. I do leave the I-Match on, it doesn't add much length. I want the mower as light and small as possible.

I switch mower setup and loader setup every week during mowing season, it only takes a few minutes. One mishap with the loader still on would take longer to fix than just taking it all off. Part of the reason for getting the Deere is the auto connect deck and easy remove attachments.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't dettached the entire FEL yet, just the bucket, but the couple videos I watched, it doesn't look like that time consuming of a process.

Still haven't decided on what I'll do yet :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
I leave it on, bucket and all. I never have removed my bucket yet lazy I guess.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
I haven't dettached the entire FEL yet, just the bucket, but the couple videos I watched, it doesn't look like that time consuming of a process.

Still haven't decided on what I'll do yet :)
Since you are new, it's good practice to take the FEL off and on. If I mowed with my tractor, I sure wouldn't want the bucket hanging out in front plus the extra 450 pound of weight on the machine.

I don't take my FEL off very often as I don't mow with my tractor, but whenever I do remove the FEL, it's always surprising how much shorter the tractor seems when looking down the hood. I only remove my FEL when plowing snow and I remove the FEL to install the snow plowing equipment and then remove the Quik Tach and plow to put the FEL back on the tractor.

If you have lots of things to mow around like landscape beds, fences, etc, then I would suggest you remove the entire frame and leave the bucket on the frame. Make sure to rotate the parking stand to fully lock the FEL when parking it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since you are new, it's good practice to take the FEL off and on. If I mowed with my tractor, I sure wouldn't want the bucket hanging out in front plus the extra 450 pound of weight on the machine.

I don't take my FEL off very often as I don't mow with my tractor, but whenever I do remove the FEL, it's always surprising how much shorter the tractor seems when looking down the hood. I only remove my FEL when plowing snow and I remove the FEL to install the snow plowing equipment and then remove the Quik Tach and plow to put the FEL back on the tractor.

If you have lots of things to mow around like landscape beds, fences, etc, then I would suggest you remove the entire frame and leave the bucket on the frame. Make sure to rotate the parking stand to fully lock the FEL when parking it.
Good point, its a reason I have been leaning tword taking it off, but I cut grass like once a week, plus I have allot of loader jobs planned for this year. I feel like I'd be constantly taking it off and putting it back on, which would also make me good at the process.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have a pretty steep hill to mow so I was in the habit of removing the bucket at the very least. This year I have the single point disconnect so it will come off until I head to the woods.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It's super-easy to take the loader off. Mowing is one of the few precious 'alone times' I get in life and I like to relax. It's easier to do that without the loader on, you can just drive the machine simply and negotiate some pretty tight areas simply.

During summer, I usually keep the loader off the tractor in the shed on a dolly and hook it up when I need it. If I do leave the loader on the machine in the shed(about 30% of the time), I'll just drop it off on the driveway or behind the shed, mow, then go back and pick it up again.

The loader is so easy to drop, I'd recommend practicing it and you'll never worry about it again.

The biggest thing you can do to help yourself is to make sure to take the loader off correctly:
1. Level surface (unlevel makes it less easy to re-attach)
2. After releasing the latches, make sure that you raise the loader off the tractor until the clamps snap shut on their own
- If you don't do this, the loader can leak down and make it hard to re-attach.

TTWT has a good video here. This is older, so he's using the h120 loader, but the process is identical on the 120r.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Brush hog I leave on, mid mount i take it off. (loader hydraulic quick connect is awesome).

I have way too many obstacles to leave it on. I also pull all of my suitcase weights off the HH when using the mid mount.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts