Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just posting this because I didn't find anything by using Google search. Using a router to cut shadow lines in ceiling tile. I'm no pro at using a utility knife to cut the recessed lines in the tiles like the pros. I even tried Toolpro shadowline cutter TP05110 with no luck. I have the thicker tiles for sound transfer. So the set guide depth on the tool was not right for my tiles. So I will be returning the Toolpro with extra blades.
So I decided to use my table saw to cut all the partial ceilings tiles around walls. Using a router table to cut the shadow lines works great for nice clean cuts. Yes it is going to create a lot of dust so you will want to do it outside. Safety glasses and dust mask will be a must. I learned to install the cut edges against the wall so I don't have to paint to match the tile. This is for my basement ceiling. I also have a walk out basement. So I don't need to go up/down stairs to make cuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll offer the suggestion to make a "sled" to protect the tile face. Not an issue if you are painting the tiles, anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I'm just posting this because I didn't find anything by using Google search. Using a router to cut shadow lines in ceiling tile. I'm no pro at using a utility knife to cut the recessed lines in the tiles like the pros. I even tried Toolpro shadowline cutter TP05110 with no luck. I have the thicker tiles for sound transfer. So the set guide depth on the tool was not right for my tiles. So I will be returning the Toolpro with extra blades.
So I decided to use my table saw to cut all the partial ceilings tiles around walls. Using a router table to cut the shadow lines works great for nice clean cuts. Yes it is going to create a lot of dust so you will want to do it outside. Safety glasses and dust mask will be a must. I learned to install the cut edges against the wall so I don't have to paint to match the tile. This is for my basement ceiling. I also have a walk out basement. So I don't need to go up/down stairs to make cuts.
We used to use a good stackable dado blade to get what you are doing on ceiling tiles,, and wore masks, hearing and eye protection and a hat, lots of dust those tiles make... Careful with one of those adjustable dado blades they may tear up the clean edge of the tile on ya.... A good router table works too with a shop vac attached and hold down attachments... If you have a feed attachment that is also a great tool for cutting shadow lines. Right speed and nice clean cuts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts