Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this email around the New Year, and it’s been 11-months since I cut the CATV cord, and I figure I should actually send this out. To put the monthly monetary savings into perspective; what we’re saving on TV, landline phone, and cell service allowed me to get a high end diesel powered lawn tractor.

I can’t guarantee that the links provided below still work.

Well the Cumcrap CATV bill went up again, and this time I’m going to find an alternative; which is boiling down to a good old fashioned antenna for local OTA (Over The Air) channels that I located on a 12’ high post in the back yard, and a streaming device (e.g. Roku) to get cable channels and movies from Netflix, Hulu, and others off the Internet. Worried about what your HOASS has to say about TV antennas? Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | FCC.gov Our HOASS hasn’t bothered me about my antenna. So far the big downside is probably going to get access to the Discovery Channel family of networks. Yes, I’ve looked into satellite, and the cost to get service comparable to what we have is just as expensive, if not more as what we’re paying now.

So if “cutting the cable” is something of interest to you; I’ve included all the links I’ve used to gain information on getting TV via the net.

Free TV - 6 Cable TV Alternatives, Netflix, Free Television - AARP

Get Free HDTV and Save Money

http://www.antennaweb.org

Cutting the Cord on Cable - WSJ

The Five Best Cord Cutting Devices (Plus One Bonus!) | TechCrunch This article and the next one mention a device called Boxee that sounds promising; but I didn’t include Boxee’s link as Samsung just bought them from Linksys, and it appears they are in some sort of flux.

The Four Big Steps To Cutting The Cord | TechCrunch

http://www.antennacraft.net

DisableMyCable - Free and cheap alternatives to cable TV

http://www.roku.com Streaming $99 Internet device that I’m going to try. An update, the Roku 3 device works great with our wireless router.

Home of the #1 rated Indoor HDTV Antenna - Mohu

http://www.killthecablebill.com

Use an OTA Tuner to Turn Your PC into a TV and DVR | TechHive

http://www.channelmaster.com

https://signup.netflix.com/ Streaming Internet TV/movie service for around $9 a month. An update, I’m happy with Netflix.

Free TV Shows and Movies - Watch Your Favorite TV Episodes and Movies Online | Hulu Streaming Internet TV/movie service for around $9 a month. An update, Hulu finally provided us a month’s trial for free. I think I might keep it.

TV Fool

Reducing the cost of landline and cell phone service.

For over a year now we’ve been using Ooma’s VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) for our landline. We’re just using plain-Jane Ooma, and our cost dropped from $45 a month with Century Fink to <$5 a month with Ooma. All we pay are the Gummint taxes and fees, and it works great. www.ooma.com

Tired of 2-year contracts and high monthly cell phone bills, then check out Consumer Cellular https://www.consumercellular.com/ , which is a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator; aka reseller of minutes) that uses AT & T’s network. We have two cell numbers and a data plan for my smartassphone for about $50 a month. The Big 4 can’t even come close. Consumer Cellular also lets you upgrade/downgrade service at will as your needs change. Their phone selection is limited; but just about any unlocked phone approved by AT & T should work on CC’s network. I bought my Sony smartassphone from these guys. http://www.gsmnation.com

For those of you with home security services (e.g. ADT); I have no idea if the VOIP options will work with them or not.

·
Premium Member
14,718 Posts
Tried Consumer Cellular Ok if your AT T coverage is good in your area. ? NOT worth the pain and aggravation if coverage is poor. I admit could save money ,, oh I still have 3 new flip phones, one may have been used for 2 phone calls. ! One maybe 10 and last one 40 at the most over 4- 5 mo. I lost money in long run.
Switched back to US Cell happy again.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
My problem with cutting pay TV is college football, we love college ball and just no way to get all the games without pay TV.

What we have done is go under contract with Comcast, Dish, Direct every couple years for one of their promotions. We get the minimum service that will suit us and end up with service for $30 a month. As soon as the contract is over we move to a new provider.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
OTA TV signals are great if you can get them - no way around here.

No cell phone at all - no cell coverage anyway. Have been using VOIP for years now at $7.71 per month with unlimited everything.

Roku is great - no running monthly fee. Netflix is nice at only $8 per month. But you need high speed internet.

I think the cable and satellite TV companies are really scrambling right now. My thinking is that most all TV will come over the interent shortly. There is a new company that is forging ahead with this called SlingTV. They are just starting out but I see a lot more channels being added soon.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I save even more, mjncad. I removed the TV from my life!!! No cable/dish, no fees, no taxes, etc. I already received local channels via antenna, but then they went "digital", so I would have needed a converter box, or new TV. No more than I was watching on TV, none of it was worth it.

I get local news on the radio in my truck when driving, as well as traffic reports if I have to go to a bigger city. Get weather via the same, or the internet. Savings in money has been great, and without the mind controlling box around, I actually get a few things done, sometimes!! Funny thing is, I really do not miss it!

·
Corndog Hater
11,687 Posts
You can say that again, too far from any of the towers.

I save even more, mjncad. I removed the TV from my life!!! No cable/dish, no fees, no taxes, etc. I already received local channels via antenna, but then they went "digital", so I would have needed a converter box, or new TV. No more than I was watching on TV, none of it was worth it.

I get local news on the radio in my truck when driving, as well as traffic reports if I have to go to a bigger city. Get weather via the same, or the internet. Savings in money has been great, and without the mind controlling box around, I actually get a few things done, sometimes!! Funny thing is, I really do not miss it!
Seems that way with a lot of things. There are so many ways to get news/info today. It's amazing how many services we pay for that duplicate each other.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Only reason the wife and I still have any cable channels is because it was $5.00 more month over our internet package. We mostly watch netflix, $8 a month is reasonable for the amount of tv that I watch.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts

No cell phone at all - no cell coverage anyway. Have been using VOIP for years now at $7.71 per month with unlimited everything.

Roku is great - no running monthly fee. Netflix is nice at only $8 per month. But you need high speed internet.

I think the cable and satellite TV companies are really scrambling right now. My thinking is that most all TV will come over the interent shortly. There is a new company that is forging ahead with this called SlingTV. They are just starting out but I see a lot more channels being added soon.
Sling looks very promising. I could go with it for my college football in the fall and cancel for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I don't have tv anyhow...

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Sling looks very promising. I could go with it for my college football in the fall and cancel for the rest of the year.
A person I know on another forum just started out with the SlingTV and Roku. He got tired of his Dish bill. He is an avid sports watcher and really liked the SlingTV lineup. He's had it for a couple weeks now and said he is calling to cancel his Dish service today.

I can see Sling adding more channels soon - I hope so anyway. A couple more like History, Discovery, and AMC along with Netflix and I would be good.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The only way I can get very many OTA channels in my location is with at least a 50 foot tall tower. Which I used to have but it was a PITA to maintain. So years ago gave up on it and went to DISH. Then cable came to our area and we changed to it. Still have it for ISP but the TV service sucked so changed to DirecTV. It has been the best of them all for TV, love their Genie whole-home DVR with 5 tuners. Not cheap, but our main source of entertainment so it's worth it to us.

I like XBMC (now changing its name to KODI) for streaming to TV from internet. Not really plug-and-play but has a lot of capabilities and is free. I don't really want to watch TV on my computer so have it on a G-Box MX2.

I need to keep a landline because of my wife's heart monitor, so was able to bundle it (Verizon) with DirecTV which saves some. As for cellphones, my wife and I are both light users, so we use Tracfone, which cannot be beaten on price for us. Of course YMMV. Tracfone uses the major carriers in our area, AT&T and Verizon, so service is great. Our 2 phones average around $7 a month each for us. I have an Iphone but for internet access with it I use wifi if possible instead of cellular data. I'm old-school, I don't really like using a phone for a computer anyway, prefer a real keyboard and full-size display.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Food TV and the Cooking Channel are must haves for us, so I pay the big bucks for cable. It's all about quality of life. I may be labeled shallow for this, but I love me some Amy Thielen. :)
I used to watch Food Network, when it had good cooking shows. It started to try to get in on the "Reality TV" trend, with Next Food Network Star, Battle of the Chefs, and similar, so had nothing on that I could go to the kitchen and use. Not worth it for the stuff they began offering.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I did to, but I cancelled the tv before I made anything:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Sling TV is offered by one of the satellite TV companies; I just can't remember which one. Since sports bores me to death, Sling has nothing of interest to me. During pro/college football season, I ***** profusely that boring football fouls up the schedule for national and local news.

I'm lucky in that all of the major local OTA broadcasters have their transmitters on Lookout Mountain, so I only have to aim the antenna in one direction.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had a Direct Tv for years until they gave me the sports package against my wishes. I called them to cancel my subscription and was told that I might have to pay a $300 early termination fee. I kept telling them that I did NOT want the extra package. Finally they sent me a box for their receiver & remote; free of charge and I finally have extra money in my pocket. I still get offers in the mail asking me if I would come back but that mail goes right in the trash.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sling TV is offered by one of the satellite TV companies; I just can't remember which one. Since sports bores me to death, Sling has nothing of interest to me. During pro/college football season, I ***** profusely that boring football fouls up the schedule for national and local news.

I'm lucky in that all of the major local OTA broadcasters have their transmitters on Lookout Mountain, so I only have to aim the antenna in one direction.
Dish Network is who came up with SlingTV.

When I first moved to NC, I didn't bother with TV. After I bought my house last year, I decided to get DirecTV just to try it out. Honestly, When my contract is up, I'm not sure I will keep it. I find myself watching the same handful of channels and with my favorite show in its final season, I can wait to watch everything else. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. All that's left is Hulu and I will probably get that whenever I cut the cord again.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. All that's left is Hulu and I will probably get that whenever I cut the cord again.
I have both Amazon and Netflix and see no reason for Hulu, it is just the same stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
I have an Iphone but for internet access with it I use wifi if possible instead of cellular data. I'm old-school, I don't really like using a phone for a computer anyway, prefer a real keyboard and full-size display.
Same here. I tried getting on-line with a friends phone once years ago and that lasted all of 5 minutes. I just don't know how people can do that on those tiny screens.

·
Registered
291 Posts
XBMC is the way to go for free TV. Google it, Little Black Box or Armada. You will be amazed at what you find. BTW you will need decent high speed internet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts