Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got a chance to finish up and paint my "home brew" cutting torch jig.
Added one more thing to it that added a bunch to the functioning.

Worked pretty good as was with semi polished slides, but not as friction free as I wanted it.

Saw this high density plastic stick on tape, used primarily for dresser drawers and such for
easy sliding.
Read that woodworkers were using it also on their rip fences on table saws and router table guides
for near friction free sliding.
Figured it would be worth a shot on the sliding angle iron of the cutting jig.
It's only 1/32" thick, ordered a 3" wide 10' roll of it.

This stuff is amazing and works as advertised, it's like the "works" is on ball bearings now!
The adhesive on the backside is great, didn't have to replace it with JB Weld.

Absolutely no glitches or "hang-ups" when cutting, making for a very smooth, straight cut.

Great stuff to aid sliding between two surfaces.

You got radial arm saws, calling this my "fire saw" now.:laugh:

Here's some product info, ordered it from Woodcraft, couldn't find it at any of the big box hardware stores,
seems it would be good stuff for them to handle.

SlickStrips.com UHMW Adhesive Backed Sheet and Tape - Reduce Friction - Slide Anything

Buy Slick Strips, 3" Width at Woodcraft.com

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Pretty slick OC. :mocking:

:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Great Jig! Simple and bullet proof! I think I'm going to build one for my plasma cutter this winter... Thanks for sharing :bigthumb:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great Jig! Simple and bullet proof! I think I'm going to build one for my plasma cutter this winter... Thanks for sharing :bigthumb:
This is just something I threw together while in the middle of another project, came together better than it should have.

Made several mistakes, used the wrong welding rod to weld together, used a 3/32" 7018, should
have used a 1/16" 7014.
You really want to use as little "heat" as possible to prevent warpage and pulling.
Had to waste time with the torch and C-clamps keeping things straight and aligned.
Really important to keep the fixed angle irons perfectly aligned with the sliding angle irons.
Also no need to weld long beads, 1/2" spot welds would have been sufficient.

Also note that the "peak" on the fixed angle irons will have to be grinded down a little for the slider angle irons
to fit flush.
You don't want any side to side or up and down play as you slide it over the entire length.
It can be accomplished with a little patience.

As I said above, the "Slick Strips" really perfect it for smoothness of cuts, worth the cost of them.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
OC,

Probably would have been a little simpler to use just one vee rail and the other a flat guide. :think: That way you would not have to worry about the parallelism. Just a thought.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OC,

Probably would have been a little simpler to use just one vee rail and the other a flat guide. :think: That way you would not have to worry about the parallelism. Just a thought.
Actually thought of using a rod/shaft for the second rail (had a piece of 3/4" stock 3' long), but decided two angle iron rails, if aligned perfectly, would make it more stable as to any wiggle being introduced at the torch tip when manually pushing the torch and holding down the oxygen trigger.

Good idea to try though, would greatly simplify build and speed it up.:good2:

If I have a big need, may build a hinged sub-platform for the cutting jig, that it will bolt onto where I can adjust the tip/torch/jig
angle to give me a bevel cut, 45 degrees, etc. on a work piece.
Shouldn't be too hard to do.

Using pieces of 2 X 4 to block up the back end looks too "redneck" for such a precision machine. :lol::lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
Nice work OC. You're quite the Cagey Cajun! :good2:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Nice Jig. Looks like it will cut straight.:bigthumb:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work OC. You're quite the Cagey Cajun! :good2:
I hear that a lot........well sort of, they leave off the "y"............. "Cage Cajun" they say most of the time. :laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts