Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I was replacing the two entrance door(front & rear) at my SIL's house, prior to her selling the place. She was getting rid of a few items in the house and I was given a old free-standing cypress cabinet. I've had it in storage since then. My wife was looking for a piece of furniture to place in an extra bedroom. This is the room our youngest granddaughter(Jane) stays in while she's visiting. I mentioned the cabinet her sister gave me, so she thought it would be a good idea to use it, only after a bit of re-working and painting.

After breakfast this morning, we began working on it. It was damaged, so I had to repair it first.
The top was split, so I removed it and repaired it. A good application of wood glue(Titebond) and a few staples did the trick.

This is what the front looks like.

The upper rear rib was ripped out, so it needed attention and to be re-installed.

I cleaned up the area and applied Titebond wood glue.

Applied Titebond.

Spread the wood glue throughout the area.

Installed and clamped on both ends. Staple were then applied for reinforcement.

This was stamped into the rear upper rib. Looks as if someone with the initials M M M built it in 1997.

This piece was made using reclaimed Cypress.

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
Very cool. That is going to be very nice.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Very nice looking. You guys are doing a great job in refurbishing it.

·
Premium Member
18,028 Posts
That is a beautiful cabinet, well worth the time to repair instead of throwing it away.. (y) (y)

·
Old Pa-pa
13,534 Posts
I initial everything I make...
Did ya initial the little lawn roller?
Good job FW. (y)

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Very nice. I love the old stuff. I got several old pieces from my grand parents and my folks. my house is full !!!

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Today, the top was reworked.
I narrowed the edges to remove the curves. Glued and stapled the top to the frame. Filled some of the staple holes and sanded the top.

I removed the hinges from the door. Wife says the top will be painted a dark color and the rest of it will be painter a light color, maybe cream. The knobs will be replaced with something different.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That is a really nice looking cabinet, good call on the straight cuts IMO. It looks like that cypress has a lot of "character" in it, which might make it interesting to paint. Will you fill all the holes and try to smooth out what looks like milling marks?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is a really nice looking cabinet, good call on the straight cuts IMO. It looks like that cypress has a lot of "character" in it, which might make it interesting to paint. Will you fill all the holes and try to smooth out what looks like milling marks?
Thanks.
By looking at the original build, one can tell it was re-purposed wood. I only filled the holes in the top. The rest will be left in it's present state. The paint she'll use is called Fusion. She hasn't settled on leaving the top natural, maybe re-stain with a dark shade and a matt finish, or paint it a dark color. The base(front & sides) will be a light color.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I put the drawers and door in place for my sister to get an idea of what it looked like before reworking.

I'm waiting for the paint store to open. Once Mrs. FW decides which color she likes, I'll take a drive there. The paint franchisee is in another town, Denham Springs.
There is a → Antique & Art District ← there and some of the shops handle specialty items for restoring furniture.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went to buy the paint today. While I was at the location, I Facetimed Mrs. FW to show her some of their furniture painted with the different shades of White. She had originally chose Casement White. She changed her mind and chose Raw Silk.

After lunch, I prepped the surface with a Scotch-Brite pad and cleaned it with de-natured alcohol. 30 minutes later, I then applied the first coat. I'll apply an additional coat tomorrow, then the boss will see what it looks like afterward.
It may need a third coat, but I have time. It's not like I have a regular job. ;)

The small jar of paint goes a long way.

Below is a view of the stained top. It will need a couple coats of clear, matt finish sealer.

This paint goes on smooth and easy. It will make me look like a pro. (y)

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
OK, so my idea of not painting it is out. :ROFLMAO: It looks good, I liked the wood.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts