Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was mowing my lawn the other day and I began to smell burning plastic about 30 mins into my mow. I immediately shut the tractor off and popped the hood, and saw smoke coming out from under the flywheel. After removing the flywheel This is what I saw (See pics below!). Has anyone ever heard of this happening, and what might even cause it? Upon close inspection, the black wire did have a tiny sliver of rubber missing, and very small amount of metal exposed. I'm talking less than 1/8 inch. Wondering if it was possibly shorting out as a result? What else could cause such a catastrophic failure? Ive already ordered a new part, but I dont want to install it if something else other than the defect in the cable would cause this. Thanks for your help guys!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,722 Posts
Not common but not unheard of for a stator to short out. Replace stator along with voltage regulator. Check battery also. Give all the wiring a good visual to include headlight harness
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,429 Posts
Welcome to GTT Bill.

This ailment is a new one to me; but I'm not surprised as all BBM (Big Box Mart) grade of riding mowers regardless of brand are junk in my less than humble opinion.

Fix it if you can at a reasonable price; but don't be surprised if eventually you upgrade to an X320 or above at some point in the future.

I had a L(emon)-130 for 9-years and I just replaced it with an X754. I went from one extreme to another; but so far it's been worth it as I want the new rig to last me out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
I have seen this one other time on a mower stator. Not usually common on mowers from my experience. Should be fine after you replace it. As stated above just double check the rest of the wiring to make sure it isn't shorting elsewhere. Good luck!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,945 Posts
Not uncommon for a stator to short out and burn-up. This is especially common due to high heat and insulation breakdown. Is there any chance that ventilation was restricted? Check wiring for integrity prior to replacing the part, Make sure there are no shorts to ground. You may be able to test the regulator if you have a shop manual. A shorted regulator may have caused the stator to overcharge and overheat.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top