Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings:

I have a D100 that I prepped for the new season (Oil, filters, blades) The tractor has lots of power in all of the gears while traveling on the street blacktop but when I go onto the grass it has the hardest time climbing a small incline.

I lower the speed down to 1 or 2 and the tractor does slowly move up the incline.

I thinking transmission belt? Anyone have a similar problem or some ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Welcome to GTT. We'll need way more info on your problem to be able to help. :hi:

Well, that was a total re-write.

·
Premium Member
14,130 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia

:wgtt:

Same here some more info,, guessing tires are not spinning.! if tires not spinning, possible belt slippage, maybe drive belt needs some adjustment.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Also make sure your idler pulley can spin freely. I had an old Craftsman where it locked up and the belt expanded. I ended up burning up the new belt only to realize what the real issue was.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Are there any things I should check on the transmission belt assembly?
Most people will find that running a belt other than the JD brand causes problems, not just on your tractor, but on a lot of different applications.

Not saying that's what your problem is.

I don't understand why the performance of the tractor would be slower in the grass vs the pavement running on similar inclines.

D100 belts and pulleys.jpg

·
Registered
225 Posts
How long have you had it? Jack up the rear and pull the snap rings off the rear tires and pull them off and check the shaft key. If it has sheared (or was never installed) it may cause an issue like you describe. Does it freewheel down the hill? ( don't try this because if the key us sheared you will have no brakes...)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tractor is 4 years old. Ill pull off the rear tires, thanks. I'm trying to work through this without having to contact a Deere dealership.

How long have you had it? Jack up the rear and pull the snap rings off the rear tires and pull them off and check the shaft key. If it has sheared (or was never installed) it may cause an issue like you describe. Does it freewheel down the hill? ( don't try this because if the key us sheared you will have no brakes...)

·
Registered
21,499 Posts
This may sound strange but it has been seen on this forum before - a quick painless and free check -

When the tractor starts "slipping" on a hill have someone watch and look closely at the wheel turning vs. the tire turning. If the air pressure is too low in the tires the wheel can slip within the tire. The wheel will be turning at a faster revolution than the tire itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts