Green Tractor Talk banner

D105 auto won't move

28K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Rule292 
#1 ·
I bought one in 2014 and have 111 hours on it. Yesterday I was giving the yard its first cut with it for this season and I stopped for a bit and when I went back to finish it would not move in either direction.

Any other users here have the same problem? Could there be something other than the transmission that is wrong? I bought this at a JD dealership and the service manager seems kind of

sheepish and wants the vin number before he will talk about it.

#2 ·
The little rod (I can't remember what it's called) in the back of the tractor...make sure it is pushed in all the way. When it is pulled out, you are free-wheeling, which means that you can move the tractor by hand/push it, but the tranny doesn't work.

Reactions: SulleyBear
#3 ·
Reactions: BigJim55 and odis
#4 ·
I would look under the pedal area of the platform to make sure the linkage didn't get disconnected, which is unlikely.

There is also a "Lever Kit" which moves the machine back and forth on top of the transmission which could be the issue, make sure to check that. Here is a link to the transmission page in the parts manual and it's item number 7 in the illustration.

John Deere Parts Catalog

There is also a drive belt kit and some other pieces to check which would prevent the machine from moving in either direction. You will see that there are few servicable items on the actual rear drive assembly and the transmission itself is priced at $372.14 and it is part number AUC11077 from Green Parts.

It's a common enough part that Amazon sells the entire rear transmission assembly, ready to install here

Amazon.com : General Transmissions Transaxle RT400 GT87137 : Garden Outdoor

Sadly, these machines are known for having a weak transmission and one which is prone to failure. The machines are real susceptible to failure if they are used to mow inclines or if the machine pulls anything of any weight or resistance.

The D105 use a transmission which is unique to those models which is made by General Transmission and is largely plastic gears and the unit is considered "Non Servicable",meaning the unit is supposedly factory sealed.

There are numerous videos and threads about working on these transmissions. Seems like there is a common gear failure, which if you can do the work yourself, makes the unit worth considering a rebuild. If you are going to need the dealer to repair the unit, make sure to get an estimate before you proceed as the labor costs along with the parts can sadly, make the cost to replace the transmission exceed the value of the machine for some.

Reactions: BigJim55
#16 ·
I would look under the pedal area of the platform to make sure the linkage didn't get disconnected, which is unlikely.

There is also a "Lever Kit" which moves the machine back and forth on top of the transmission which could be the issue, make sure to check that. Here is a link to the transmission page in the parts manual and it's item number 7 in the illustration.

John Deere Parts Catalog

There is also a drive belt kit and some other pieces to check which would prevent the machine from moving in either direction. You will see that there are few servicable items on the actual rear drive assembly and the transmission itself is priced at $372.14 and it is part number AUC11077 from Green Parts.

It's a common enough part that Amazon sells the entire rear transmission assembly, ready to install here

Amazon.com : General Transmissions Transaxle RT400 GT87137 : Garden Outdoor

Sadly, these machines are known for having a weak transmission and one which is prone to failure. The machines are real susceptible to failure if they are used to mow inclines or if the machine pulls anything of any weight or resistance.

The D105 use a transmission which is unique to those models which is made by General Transmission and is largely plastic gears and the unit is considered "Non Servicable",meaning the unit is supposedly factory sealed.

There are numerous videos and threads about working on these transmissions. Seems like there is a common gear failure, which if you can do the work yourself, makes the unit worth considering a rebuild. If you are going to need the dealer to repair the unit, make sure to get an estimate before you proceed as the labor costs along with the parts can sadly, make the cost to replace the transmission exceed the value of the machine for some.
Does anyone know the amount or type of CVT fluid used in the e100 model? I want to drain and fill it before 100 hrs and complete catastrophic failure. I know there is a fill hole, so its just a matter of using the mityvac to suck it all out and refill. thanks, Wayne

#5 ·
Thanks for the replys. I'm starting to get sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Once I get this thing operational I figure I'll figure out someone that I really dislike that wants a used lawn mower and sell it to them. This is the first real problem I've had with this machine, but all of the tires have had tubes put in them because of leaks from weather cracking. Plus it appears that one can not adjust the front alignment. Must have been designed and made for JD in some country named trashcanistan or cheapistan, I expect that from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools which is why I bought this from an authorized John Deere dealer. Plastic throw away tranny, unbelievable.

#6 ·
It was designed for a price point. If you want quality and adjustability you need to open your wallet. One adjustable tierod end costs more then the draglink on these models.

As for weather cracks, how is the mower stored? What’s the ground like under it? One member just replaced 25 year old 180 tires, it’s also a riding mower, but cost more in 95 then a d105 does now without even figuring in inflation.

#7 ·
It's a shame the quality isn't better now days, even though it is a low end model. I've got a Lowes branded riding mower made by American yard products I bought in 1994. It still runs and mows. It has a simple manual transmission. Nothing fancy but just goes and goes. I've replaced the drive belt just one time. Sorry to hear about your luck.

#10 ·
Odis, I can't prove or disprove this statement, only repeat what I've read online at various JD forums: If it says John Deere, it's made by John Deere. If you buy a D105 at Lowe's, Home Depot, Honest Joe's
Surplus Tractors, or a John Deere dealership, it's the same tractor! JD doesn't make a different quality level based on the end seller...a D105 is a D105.

BTW, I was of the same opinion, box stores where a lower grade. I've been wrong before, and I'll probably be wrong again! Bob

#14 ·
Take Taryl’s advice, problem solved.

It is not JD’s fault for the low quality it is the consumers. People are willing to accept things like plastic bushings vs. wheel bearings in from tires and thinner decks and ect.

Now consumers are willing to accept plastic transaxles.

#15 ·
Take Taryl’s advice, problem solved.

It is not JD’s fault for the low quality it is the consumers. People are willing to accept things like plastic bushings vs. wheel bearings in from tires and thinner decks and ect.

Now consumers are willing to accept plastic transaxles.
Yes, let's blame the consumers. Like that makes any sense. If John Deere is going to make a pile of **** and paint it green and yellow, they still need to stand behind it. Just because the "consumer" can't pay $3,000 - $5,000 for a good model doesn't mean John Deere needs to make a cheap crappy model to compete with other inexpensive tractors. God forbid their profit margin isn't the same as on the $5k tractors. Does Made in the USA mean anything? 2019, John Deere's NET INCOME $3.253 billion. I am all for capitalism but not at the expense of the consumer.

#17 ·
Same issue here, 115 hours, transmission fail. There was a product recall in 2017 (transmission failure, crash hazard) for all D105's with serial numbers starting with 1GXD105.

I took mine to the local John Deere dealership, repair estimate $775. I showed them the recall (lots of hits on googling "John Deere D105 transmission failure") links, They said they're looking into it.

If they come back with no bingo, $800 is a good down-payment on a new tractor from an honest company.

Nothing runs like a Deere? Suuuurrre...

#18 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Dealer got back to me, said that it's not the transmission, it's a pulley on top of the transmission, no coverage. Taking my $800 over to Husqvarna, Rustler, Cub Cadet or [insert company that can make a machine that lasts longer than 115 hours]. It's a shame to see another iconic American company **** the bed. 😕

According to the dealer, the problem pulley (variator) can be fixed with kit #MIA12482, which seems to be a little less than $100. (Amazon.com: John Deere Original Equipment Pulley Kit #MIA12482: Garden & Outdoor)

I'm with the original OP...this mower will get fixed to finish out the season, then prettified and sold with the proceeds going towards a better mower.

#19 ·
UPDATE: Dealer got back to me, said that it's not the transmission, it's a pulley on top of the transmission, no coverage. Taking my $800 over to Husqvarna, Rustler, Cub Cadet or [insert company that can make a machine that lasts longer than 115 hours]. It's a shame to see another iconic American company **** the bed. 😕
I'd write Mother Deere and grumble in a tactful way that elicits sympath.

Sometimes it's better to buy a used step up machine as opposed to a base model/entry level machine.

Anyway, anything made by the hands of man has imperfections and every manufacturer makes lemons. That model seems just like it's a lemon with a bad design just like our daily driver manual transmission Subaru Forester (dog wagon) that guzzles oil in stick shift trim.

BTW our two year old thousand dollar fridge just had the thermistor and control crap out and the fridge is 20 degrees at the warmest temperature. Technology is grand, QC is horrible.

Cliffs - I'd cry to Deere but not get mad enough to exclude them from future purchases since they do make some great equipment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.