Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Looking for a little guidance here. I stupidly ran over a mole trap and it shot a metal rod into a plastic piece in the rear diff area. As far as I can tell, that's the only damage. I've tried to figure out if there's a way to just replace the plastic cover but I'm not finding the part from the John Deere catalog site. Does anyone happen to know what I should be looking for to repair this? Thanks in advance.
IMG_2601.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
J-B Weld

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
There are some external parts available but to repair the transmission case you will have to replace the transmission assembly.
There was a recall out that required certain units to have the transmissions replaced. Contact your dealer. Give them the machine's serial number. Maybe, by chance, you were under the recall. Then they would replace the trans free.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Don't know your machine. But if you can't change the part. I would cut a metal patch larger than the hole & use rivets or self tapping screws into the patch and the cover. Shoot it with Blitz Black paint & forget about it. But that's what I would do. Follow at your own risk.:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts

I agree. It has no pressure on it. Just clean it good and use a 2 parts epoxy for plastic and it will be good for years.

It would be great if yours was on the recall list though

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I agree. It has no pressure on it. Just clean it good and use a 2 parts epoxy for plastic and it will be good for years.

It would be great if yours was on the recall list though
From the photo posted by the OP, it looks like he has a Hole in that cover. That's why I suggested a thin metal patch. If it is a Hole & considering where the damaged part is, JB Weld may not hold up. I like JB Weld. Have used it many times But I'm not sure about it sealing a Hole. The photo is very dark, so maybe it's just a crack. I could be wrong about it being a Hole.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
From the photo posted by the OP, it looks like he has a Hole in that cover. That's why I suggested a thin metal patch. If it is a Hole & considering where the damaged part is, JB Weld may not hold up. I like JB Weld. Have used it many times But I'm not sure about it sealing a Hole. The photo is very dark, so maybe it's just a crack. I could be wrong about it being a Hole.
Agree. It's hard to see much detail in the shadows of that photo.

Perhaps a small square of aluminum sheet held in place by some J-B Weld.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't know your machine. But if you can't change the part. I would cut a metal patch larger than the hole & use rivets or self tapping screws into the patch and the cover. Shoot it with Blitz Black paint & forget about it. But that's what I would do. Follow at your own risk.:dunno:
Just be sure of what is on the inside of that case before you drill into it...might not be much room for rivets or screws.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the suggestions. Here is a clearer picture. It's a rather large hole.
IMG-2605.JPG

I was thinking of covering the hole with a piece of plexiglass using JB Weld. Thoughts?
I also checked the manual to try to figure out how I refill what fluid I lost and the transmission section of the manual says there's no way to change the fluid and it's un-serviceable. It's hard to say how much I lost.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
Yes, a piece of plexiglass would work fine.

The fluid loss is a different matter. Without any type of "check" hole or means to measure the level it's impossible to know how much fluid you lost. Hopefully someone more familiar with the transmissions on these D-series will have some suggestions.

The only thing I can think of is to get the make/model off the transaxle and then do some googling to see what folks who tear them apart and repair them do.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Here is a clearer picture. It's a rather large hole.

I was thinking of covering the hole with a piece of plexiglass using JB Weld. Thoughts?
I also checked the manual to try to figure out how I refill what fluid I lost and the transmission section of the manual says there's no way to change the fluid and it's un-serviceable. It's hard to say how much I lost.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Another thought you could cut the hole round and thread it for a plug and gasket then you would have a way to fill the transmission. Then JB Weld the plug tight to keep it from coming loose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts