Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trouble going uphill, so I replaced the drive belt. That didn't help.
So I removed the green body to inspect transmission area, but visually I don't see a problem.
Can anyone advise on troubleshooting this thing? If I have to pay $384 on Amazon for a new transmission, I will.
But first, I'd sure like to check all the lower cost items... just not entirely sure what to look for.
I appreciate all help... the grass grows taller daily!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,352 Posts
What are the symptoms?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sluggish going uphill.... gets worse with time, until it stops. Sometimes can let up on gas, then press and get 12” forward movement... but even that stops helping after a while. Ultimately no movement even on level ground. But let it cool down, and then it will run somewhat until the cycle returns.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If your belts are good and the pulleys on top aren't stripped, then it's toast.
What's your ser # and year? There was a recall from Deere.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Using lists from this thread and others, I've examined variators and parts and see no obvious break or damage. Plenty of grass to clean away. The variator belt isn't as snug as I'd imagine it should be, but what do I know? One paper from General Transmission stated that too many trans have been replaced when the fault was an external component, and based on the symtom list, my problem should be an 'external part'. But I sure can't tell which one yet!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update2: Removed and examined both variators, checked movement of pulleys and bearings. Cleaned thoroughly around and between trans parts. Reassembled and tried test drive... just as bad as before. I couldn't even drive all the way back into the shed, which was only slightly uphill, and pushed it in.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,155 Posts
How many hours are on your machine?

As I am sure you are aware, hills are very tough on this machine's transmission. If you are mowing hills regularly, don't be surprised if the replacement transmission also fails relatively soon. Also, NEVER pull anything with the machine, not even small trailers and carts designed to be pulled by mowers. The mower is priced as an entry level mower and simply won't tolerate hills, towing items or any ground engaging items and instruments, even tow behind carts.

Based upon your just posted update, Sounds like it's transmission replacement time............

Make sure you know exactly what you are getting if you order it from Amazon. A full 40% of the transmissions purchased for your machine on Amazon rated a 1 star review for the items missing parts, being incomplete or damaged. At least if you buy it from the Deere Dealer, you can see exactly what you are getting at the counter before you pay for it. Seems like many complain the Amazon transmissions are not complete with all parts, pulley's, etc..........

Update2: Removed and examined both variators, checked movement of pulleys and bearings. Cleaned thoroughly around and between trans parts. Reassembled and tried test drive... just as bad as before. I couldn't even drive all the way back into the shed, which was only slightly uphill, and pushed it in.

Reactions: Toughsox and Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,352 Posts
A friend of mine seems to be having the same issues you are having, his is a D125.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok; changed the toothy trans belt, and thought all was fine. It ran well for an hour, then had some hill trouble the second hour, and finally barely hobbled to the shed to be put up. Very similar to what it was doing a week ago. Rats!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,352 Posts
Did you change the hydraulic oil?
Interesting article...
"Poor performance and drive-train hesitation after cold-starting are seldom indications that the oil in a hydrostatic transmission needs to be changed. The most common indicator is performance fade as the machine heats up; if the machine is slow to respond in both forward and reverse, or if the machine decelerates on upward slopes, the oil may require changing."
https://www.hunker.com/12615672/what-makes-a-hydrostatic-lawnmower-not-move

"What Happens to Old Oil
Older oil loses its anti-foam capacity as the additive package decays. One result of this decomposition is that both air and atmospheric moisture becomes mixed in with the oil, a process known as entraining. Entrained oil does not possess the correct hydraulic properties, so the drive system will not function optimally. At best the entrained oil will result in the machine slowing noticeably on even mild slopes; at worst, the machine will not self-propel at all."

Reactions: Tomfive

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did you change the hydraulic oil?
Interesting article...
"Poor performance and drive-train hesitation after cold-starting are seldom indications that the oil in a hydrostatic transmission needs to be changed. The most common indicator is performance fade as the machine heats up; if the machine is slow to respond in both forward and reverse, or if the machine decelerates on upward slopes, the oil may require changing."
https://www.hunker.com/12615672/what-makes-a-hydrostatic-lawnmower-not-move

"What Happens to Old Oil
Older oil loses its anti-foam capacity as the additive package decays. One result of this decomposition is that both air and atmospheric moisture becomes mixed in with the oil, a process known as entraining. Entrained oil does not possess the correct hydraulic properties, so the drive system will not function optimally. At best the entrained oil will result in the machine slowing noticeably on even mild slopes; at worst, the machine will not self-propel at all."
D105 isn't a hydrostatic transmission it is a forward / reverse gearbox with an external variator (CVT) to control speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
D105 isn't a hydrostatic transmission it is a forward / reverse gearbox with an external variator (CVT) to control speed.
I appreciate the idea, Gizmo2, and the reply, ExperimentalMechanic. At this point, I'm open to all ideas. That's why I've posted on boards... hoping 1 good idea will be the solution! With the brief ability to run a while... it's hard to determine that any part is actually 'broken', and yet the onset of difficulty tells me something is definitely wrong!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Not familiar with the D105 transmission, but assuming Ex Mech is correct, it should be "relatively" easy to troubleshoot! If truly a gear drive, that means engine runs but transmission doesn't due to belts. You'll need an assistant to look under the tractor when it stops or really slows down. Have them observe the variable pulley belt and the belt from the engine. One of them should be nearly stopped. Bob

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Tomfive

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not familiar with the D105 transmission, but assuming Ex Mech is correct, it should be "relatively" easy to troubleshoot! If truly a gear drive, that means engine runs but transmission doesn't due to belts. You'll need an assistant to look under the tractor when it stops or really slows down. Have them observe the variable pulley belt and the belt from the engine. One of them should be nearly stopped. Bob
I tried leaning and looking myself. The drive belt to the engine seems to always move. The small trans belt sometimes appeared stopped, other times moving somewhat, but hard to view with certainty.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
That's why I mentioned an assistant! If you can verify small trans pulley stopped, I'd say you're down to 2 issues: belt slipping due to springs (??) in variable pulleys, or trans is failing and requiring to much force to drive. You've installed a new belt, so it's not a stretched or glazed belt. It could be glazed pulleys, but I doubt it.

As I stated, I'm not familiar with the D105, so I've got questions! When you want to stop fwd/rev motion, do you have a clutch...a means of releasing tension on engine to trans pulley...? If so, when tractor refuses to move or slows waaay down, put in neutral, stop engine, get off and quickly try to rotate large pulley. Try pushing/persuading large pulley together. Another question, is there an adjustment to the springs on either of the variable pulleys? I would think the larger pulley is moved mechanically, and the smaller pulley is spring loaded. A loose spring will cause the smaller pulley to slip.

A last option that I can think of, and not sure if it can be done in the proper time frame! Get a jack & jack stands ready. Drive tractor until it almost doesn't move and get back to your jack & stands. Jack tractor, put on stands, remove belt on vari-drive, and try to rotate small pulley. This should rotate by hand! If not, problem INSIDE tranny. If it rotates, problem with belts. Bob

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Tomfive

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good stuff, Bob. The 'gas pedal', when released tension to the trans so the handle can slide between F and R. There are no spring adjustments. I may try some of your 'tests'. For what it's worth, I used a troubleshooting guide from the trans manufacturer that supposedly rules out internal trans issues. (Put in N and turn 1 wheel, other should spin opposite way. Put in D and turn secondary pulley; wheels should slowly turn. Pull disengage lever and wheels should spin freely. Etc.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.