Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have John Deere d105 that won’t start.
I have replaced the battery, spark plug, oil, gas. When I turn the key it makes the cranking noise as if it’s going to start but it never starts the engine.
i have added a video at

·
Premium Member
13,036 Posts
I would first check to see if the spark plug has spark. You may need someone else to crank while you check.

While you have the plug out see if it is wet. If the plug is dry I would check the fuel shutoff solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor. It should have an audible click as you turn the ignition key off and on. If it is not retracting properly it will prevent fuel from getting to the intake.

If you have access to some starting fluid, spray a WEE BIT into the intake and see if the engine starts and runs for a few seconds.

Lastly, see if the flywheel key is partially sheared causing the spark to be out of time.

·
Premium Member
13,036 Posts
I forgot to ask. When did the tractor last run? Has it been sitting unused a while or did you use it one day and the next it would not start?

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks J,
I’ll try that in the morning. I also ordered a solenoid on amazon. Should get tomorrow and will try to replace it. I put my multimeter on it with the negative side on the battery and the positive on the solenoid side and couldn’t get 12v so hopefully that’s a sign.
To answer your question, yeah it’s been sitting in my shed idle for over a year.

·
Premium Member
13,036 Posts
Go ahead and give a replacement solenoid a shot but that doesn't sound quite right. Normally when the solenoids go bad they get gummed up and won't move. So even though 12V is applied to the coil it will not retract. Usually you can free them up by spraying them with some carb cleaner spray. But if you are not seeing 12V on the leads to the coil then the problem (if that is the problem) may be elsewhere.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have a spark tester I bought at Harbor Freight. I connects between the wire and the plug and you can see the spark, if there is one. Very handy tool and cheap. Beats having the plug dangling and trying to see the spark by yourself. That and can of starting fluid will get you in the ball park pretty fast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, so I gave Jimmy’s test a try while I wait for the amazon van with the solenoid.
I went to harbor freight and bought a spark plug tester. Plugged it in and tried to start it. I don’t see any light coming from the tester when I try to start it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Scratch that. I see the tester lighting up now.
Sounds like a fuel delivery issue or a timing problem then. Next I would try a shot of starter fluid and see if you can get any combustion going. I would also pull a plug and see if it's wet or dry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She’s alive!....Sorta.
took out the solanoid fuel and noticed the tip was stuck in there.
(Also looked like a piece broke off)

I cleaned out really good and sprayed some starter fluid. It’s now starting however it feels like it’s struggling. I can see a little bit of smoke coming out from under the engine so I shut it off.
Video here:

·
Premium Member
13,036 Posts
She’s alive!....Sorta.
took out the solanoid fuel and noticed the tip was stuck in there.
(Also looked like a piece broke off)

I cleaned out really good and sprayed some starter fluid. It’s now starting however it feels like it’s struggling. I can see a little bit of smoke coming out from under the engine so I shut it off.
Video here:
If the solenoid was that gummed up you may still have some fuel blockage in the carburetor.

Reactions: glc and jimmylh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you know that my JD is back on and running like a champ. I wound up replacing the carburetor and the fuel pump since I was already right there.

Thanks for all the help. I couldn’t have done it with out y’all. I really appreciate your help. Definitely saved me a few hundred bucks (and with COVID-19, it’s not like money comes easy to give away).

You guys rock!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts