Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All! I'm new here and am having a problem with my D110 that I can't find an answer to anywhere I've looked.

I bought it in 2016 and the first year it worked great.

I removed the mower deck last year to clean it, and since I reinstalled it, the belt has been falling off every time I disengege the PTO. The belt seems very loose around the engine pulley. All the pulleys seem to be aligned well. They turn freely, but the belt is very hot when I shut it down.

According to the manual, the belt is routed correctly. The two things I noticed in the manual that were different than what I see on the mower is the front mount bracket and the pulley "adjustment".
My mower has a non-adjustable cable bracket (welded to the deck), and the front mount bracket has 3 holes rather than the 2 shown in the manual. They are also not labeled "hydro" and "auto" as mentioned in the manual.

This is driving me nuts! I've gone through 3 belts already. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I hope I can fix this before I trash another belt.

Todd

·
Registered
927 Posts
Did you remove the black plastic pulley covers from the deck and not put them back on? I had a similar problem last year which was solved by replacing the pulley covers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you remove the black plastic pulley covers from the deck and not put them back on? I had a similar problem last year which was solved by replacing the pulley covers.
I did try that, thanks. I put them back on since they are supposed to keep the belt from falling off the idler pulleys.

Luckily, I think I fixed it! The manual has a picture of the front mount that isn't very clear, especially if I'm not wearing my glasses. I thought it showed only two holes in the mount tab. They are also supposed to be labeled (stamped) with HYDRO and AUTO. Mine are not. So I just put the pin back in the same hole it was in when I bought it.... the upper front hole. This time I moved it to the lower hole. I just mowed for an hour and a half and the belt is still on and not hot to the touch!! FINALLY after replacing 3 belts last year, I think it's good!

Thanks for the reply. Have a nice weekend!

Todd

PS... the manual also says that the cable bracket is adjustable. Again... mine is NOT. It's welded to the deck.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I'm glad you got it fixed. I worked on one of those a few years ago for a friend and Think I remember there was a big angle from the drive pulley down to the deck in the mowing position. They were experiencing short belt life. Is yours like that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm glad you got it fixed. I worked on one of those a few years ago for a friend and Think I remember there was a big angle from the drive pulley down to the deck in the mowing position. They were experiencing short belt life. Is yours like that?
Yep. That's what I was seeing. The belt kept falling off the engine pulley.

Now that that's working, the spindle brakes are not engaging all the way when I disengage the PTO. That should be an easy fix, though.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Luckily, I think I fixed it! The manual has a picture of the front mount that isn't very clear....
PS... the manual also says that the cable bracket is adjustable. Again... mine is NOT. It's welded to the deck.

Hold it...a JD manual that is not clear? I am shocked, simply shocked! :quiet: Let's make sure no-one at John Deere gets word of this, as it would put forums like this out of business.

On a serious note, I am glad you got it working again. I have a similar lawn tractor (D100) and experienced the same issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hold it...a JD manual that is not clear? I am shocked, simply shocked! :quiet: Let's make sure no-one at John Deere gets word of this, as it would put forums like this out of business.

On a serious note, I am glad you got it working again. I have a similar lawn tractor (D100) and experienced the same issue.
Haha! One thing that kinda bothers me is that the manual says I should be using the upper hole for the D110 Hydro trans. I'll leave it where it is because it's working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts