Green Tractor Talk banner

D110 stalls when brake disengaged or blades engaged

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  owenmitchell 
#1 ·
I started having trouble with my D110 today (about 5 years old, 260 hours, I live in upstate NY and the weather has been quite cold lately). Starts fine and idles with no problem but stalls as soon as I disengage the brake or engage the blades. I am definitely not a small engine guy but after some internet research it seemed like the problem might be the seat safety switch. I disconnected it, cleaned the connections and put it back together. Same problem. I then did the same for the switch on the brake. Same problem. Then I brought the seat switch to a local shop and they tested it and said it was fine. Put everything back together once again and the problem persists.

I have enjoyed the research and learning a bit about how the tractor works but at this point I am about at the end of my do it yourself skill set so the next stop is bringing it in to be serviced. Before I do that I figured I would ask if anyone has any suggestions I might try.

#3 ·
The quick and dirty method is to bypass all the safety switches. If I'm remembering correctly there should be 3 of them (seat, brake and PTO/mower clutch). Bypass all of them and see what happens. If it runs fine that way you may very well have multiple switches bad. You wouldn't be the first. You're seat switch may be fine and the other 2 gone.

Reactions: glc and kylew
#4 ·
Also try to follow the wires of the switches back towards where they originate. There may be a pinched, cut, chafed, etc. wire somewhere.

Reactions: glc
#6 ·
Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for all the feedback. A few thoughts / updates based on your notes:
1) I found the seat switch online for about $10 so I am going to try swapping it out and see what happens. In the meantime, might attempt to bypass all three as mentioned here
2) I traced the wires as best I could and did not see any obvious cuts, crimps, bends, etc.
3) The post from xcopterdoc about the seat being stiff from the cold caught my attention as I noticed it was very rigid, almost frozen when I was working on it. I might try to get the mower into the garage to warm up to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again

#9 ·
Which is worse, people who bump five month old posts or people who join a forum, get what they want and never contribute? I think the latter so I am finally getting around to coming back to update this thread.

xcopterdoc had it right. After all the jerking around, the problem was in fact due to the seat being frozen stiff. A week or so after the issue the weather broke, the seat softened up and everything worked perfectly. Luckily I didn't jack anything up with all my fooling around. Thanks xcopterdoc!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.