Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what to look for to fix these problems since I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting this and if you know what the issue is, what parts I would need to replace.

Steering wheel sits 1-2" off center to drive straight. The left front wheel is turned slightly inward after a problem I encountered on an uneven surface. I went to turn right and the left wheel went completely sideways, I turned back and it corrected without issue, however as explained previous the wheel is slightly to the right (into the mower).

I appreciate any insight on this and thank you for you time!

·
Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
If you look at it in Deere's parts site this will make a little more sense but, the front wheels are mounted on the spindles. The spindles have a tab welded on to them. That tab is where the drag links connect. The other end of the drag links connect o what Deere calls a "gear". That gear is a metal plate with teeth on one side. Those teeth engage the teeth in the steering column.

The end result is that when you turn your steering wheel, the gear turns and pulls on the appropriate drag link causing your front wheels to turn.

If you yanked a wheel sideways you may have twisted the gear plate. The gear plate is the weak link in the chain and they have bene known to flex and twist so that they jump the teeth on the steering column. . It isn't unusual to bend one and mess up steering. That'd be the first place I'd look.

The gear is item 21B in the parts breakdown picture.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
It is also possible that you bent one of the steering drag link rods (highlighted below). Since there is nothing adjustable in the D125 steering it relies on the length of these rods to keep the two tires pointed in the same direction.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
Also check both ends of the steering rods, numbered 13 and 27 as the rod ends are known to fail and may eventually completely fall off the machine. They use a swivel joint in the end of the steering rods to permit the axle to pivot and one tire to be higher than the other when on slopes, etc. These joints wear out and they also fall apart from use over time.

You need to inspect each part of the steering system to see what has moved or changed. If you put a jack under the front of the mower and lift it so there is no weight on the front axle, you can pivot the axle on the center pivot shown as number 1 and then see how the steering rods move, etc. Have someone rach over to the steering wheel and slowly turn the steering wheel while the steering is being inspected and most likely, the damaged parts will become quite obvious as the wheels turn side to side.

Make sure to support the machine securely with jack stands or a suitable and safe supporting method, before any attempts to get under it or inspect any of the steering parts. You may also find you might need to remove the mowing deck to see all of the steering pieces and their movement and to complete any repairs.

Just be careful and NEVER get under or even stick your arm under any machine which is jacked up until it is safely supported so it can't fall. If you are not sure how to safely do this, seek help from someone more experienced. You don't need the machine falling on you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts