Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I seem to be lost in this issue and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I have bought two sets of headlights for my D130 and they blow out the second the key is turned to the lights function. I traced the wires and I cannot find a short anywhere. I can't seem to find if there is a fuse attached to the lights unless I am totally missing it, and everything else seems to be clean. Is this a problem anyone else has run into? The mower only has 67 hours on it and with the shorter days approaching, I would like to have the option to turn them on if needed. Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
6,353 Posts
The D100 series machines have only 1 fuse. If you lift your hood, it is right next to the battery.

I've never heard of anyone else blowing out those bulbs. Are you sure you got the correct replacements?

Deere lists part numbers but I'm 99% sure they are a generic GE1156 bulb.

·
Premium Member
16,045 Posts
A short circuit is unlikely to cause the headlights to burn out. Just to confirm, are you saying that with the engine stopped, just turning the ignition switch to the headlight position causes the bulbs to blow out (both of them)?

Are you using part number AD2062R for the bulbs?

·
Registered
336 Posts
The D100 series machines have only 1 fuse. If you lift your hood, it is right next to the battery.

I've never heard of anyone else blowing out those bulbs. Are you sure you got the correct replacements?

Deere lists part numbers but I'm 99% sure they are a generic GE1156 bulb.
Deere even lists the A-1156 in the 'alternative' parts for AD2062R
Anybody's 1156 likely works.

·
Premium Member
16,045 Posts
Deere even lists the A-1156 in the 'alternative' parts for AD2062R
Anybody's 1156 likely works.
I saw that JD Parts listed several substitute bulbs. I hope the OP gets back to us because I just can't figure how 12V bulbs can blow in a system that only has a 12V battery.

I thought maybe the voltage regular was defective but that should cause other components to start cooking. Still waiting for confirmation if this happens with the engine running or stopped.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I hope the OP gets back to us because I just can't figure how 12V bulbs can blow in a system that only has a 12V battery.
Agreed.
Should be able to hook the bulbs directly to the 12V battery (to use a battery tester?) without causing bulb damage.

Also curious if it happens with engine running or off, and if wiring is all original or has been modified in some way.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Possibly (??) an overcharging issue. If charging systems is putting out 16-18 volts, I'm thinking that'll take out a bulb! A short won't take out a bulb...and if you think about a bulb IS a short! 12v on one side, through bulb, and into ground.
I think engine running or not will tell the difference, as well as the correct voltage for the bulb and charging system "health". Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My apologies for not getting back sooner as I work overnights and didn't check my email until recently. I used 1156 bulbs as opposed to the direct John Deere parts. I did not test the lights with the mower off. I turned the key back as the mower was running. The wiring is original on the machine as I have not touched anything on it as opposed to routine maintenance. The bulb issue was occurring prior to any maintenance performed on it. I will try to see if the bulbs blow with the engine off later today and I will be sure to get back to you all. Thank you very much for your responses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts