Green Tractor Talk banner

D140 Transmission Control Lever Replacement

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  artm 
#1 ·
Hey All,
I am trying to replace a broken transmission control lever on my D140 lawn tractor. This is the lever that attaches the forward/reverse pedal linkage rod to the transmission. (Deere part number M810140 @ partscatalog.Deere.com). The lever is held in place with a two-part pin that I have been unable to figure out how to remove. I contacted my local shop and they recommended that I should be able to just pop the pin out, however, it will not budge. I’ve tried several different approaches but haven’t been successful and don’t want to damage the pin. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you!

#2 ·
Are you attempting to remove the pins individually? You'll have more difficulty trying to drive them both out at once. It is better to use a small punch to drive out the center pin and then use a roll-pin punch to drive out the larger pin. It also helps to spray some good penetrating oil in there first to help loosen the pins.

Reactions: artm
#4 ·
Just in case you end up needing to replace the pins, the smaller pin or the "inside pin" is John Deere Part number CH17124 and sells for about $1.11 and the larger diameter pin, or the outer pin is CH17125 and sells for $1.31. Good luck.......

It's really handy to have a set of these in the toolbox, if you don't have them already. Here's another tip, as you are tapping the pins out, remove the punch every couple of hits to make sure you don't get the punch stuck in the hole.

The other day a neighbor was removing a pin in a PTO shaft and he got the punch stuck inside the pin and when he was trying to get the punch backed out, he snapped it off in the shaft. I ended up having to drill out the broken off punch first and then the pin, to get it apart, so make sure you don't wedge the punch inside the pin when driving either pin out or it just gets harder and harder to finish the repair..............

Reactions: artm
#6 ·
I had the exact same problem! Not to mention there was no room to punch them out. I ran into the issue above, where I got my inner punch stuck. I was glad to be able to complete the job, but it sure took many hours and much sweat. That was 2 years ago but I replied now because the new pins I installed had fallen out and only after investigation did I find that out. Does anyone know the specs on the pins? Local dealers don't have them in stock but my local hardware store has virtually everything for 1/10 of the cost. The going rate seems to be about $7 a pin!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.