Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today my d160 loader on the 3025e hydraulic cylinders are leaking a small amount of hydraulic fluid, anyone know of any aftermarket cylinders available for or if warranty covers this? I checked the inner shafts and do not see any nicks or damage.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,138 Posts
Yes, warranty should definitely cover leaking cylinder seals.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had issues with a leaking stabilizer cylinder on my 375A backhoe shortly after I got it. Dealer wanted to reseal my cylinder. I said NO, it is under warranty, I want a new one.
Well, we both learned that left and right on a backhoe is not from the tractor operator's seat, but the backhoe operator's seat. So that new cylinder went back. Once we had the correct cylinder, the tech came out and installed it. Just as he was getting ready to leave, I noticed that the cylinder was all banged up. (Numerous areas of chipped paint; from riding around with no box or protection in his service trailer for a week I later found out.)
I complained to the service manager and he handed me can of John Deere black paint. I filed a complaint with Deere Customer service and got nowhere. It works but doesn't look pretty. FWIW: a new cylinder is $1100.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Just my opinion....but demanding a new cylinder due to a seal leak....is about the same as demanding a new engine for a coolant gasket leak....cylinder seals are a replaceable wear part sooner or later they all need repaired...

Cylinder seals can fail due to many reasons including lack of use from sitting on a dealers lot...

·
Premium Member
11,917 Posts
The 3025e has to be a 2017 or newer, so certainly warranty should cover it depending upon it's purchase / service date. When ever there is a doubt, it's best to ask the Service Manager at your dealership.

The warranty coverage on the tractor is as follows, from John Deere's Warranty Statement;

12) Compact Utility Tractors a) Power train on Compact Utility Tractors (components as per B above) b) Compact Utility Tractor Loaders D120,120R, 220R, 300E, 300R, 320R, 400E, 440R

24 Months or 2000 Hours, Whichever Comes First
The Power train is warrantied for 72months or 2000 hours, Whichever Comes First

What is included In Compact Utility Tractor Power train Warranty -Engine cylinder block, cylinder head, valve covers, oil pan, timing gear covers, flywheel housing, emissions control components and all parts contained therein. Power train - transmission, transmission case, differential and axle housings, clutch housings, MFWD front axle assembly, and all parts contained therein (does not include external drive lines, dry clutch parts, or steering cylinders).

I think you should bring this to the Service Managers attention right away as the clock is ticking on the 24 month period, plus the 2,000 hour limitation applies, but we don't often see people use these tractors over 1,000 hours a year...but it could happen .................

Here is the link to the Warranty Statement.

Many people think the tractor is warrantied bumper to bumper for 6 years, etc. That is not the case. Read the warranty statement, its very clear and its the governing document. It's also pretty clear on what's covered for the entire warranty and what's limited to the 2 year period.

I have heard some say "If you buy the loader on the tractor, its covered for 6 years but if you buy it separately, its covered for just the 2 years." Well, the loader isn't the Power Train and only the Power Train components are eligible for the 6 years of coverage. The document is pretty clear and it's Deere's official document, not someone's opinion or hearsay.

In my opinion, if you have had your tractor for 2 years or it has more than 2,000 hours on it, you might have exhausted the warranty coverage on your machine for the FEL cylinders. Check with your dealers service manager to be sure as they will know your date of service, etc from your delivery file.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just my opinion....but demanding a new cylinder due to a seal leak....is about the same as demanding a new engine for a coolant gasket leak....cylinder seals are a replaceable wear part sooner or later they all need repaired...

Cylinder seals can fail due to many reasons including lack of use from sitting on a dealers lot...
No it is not. That is not an apples to apples comparison. I demanded a new component be installed on a new piece of equipment. To your comparison, would you accept a rebuilt alternator or water pump on your new $60,000 truck? I don't believe that you would? Just as I do not feel I should have to have put up with a beat up component on a new backhoe. I also did not feel I should have to wait 1-2 weeks with the tractor / backhoe out of service while they got around to rebuilding the cylinder on a 2 month old piece of equipment.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
No it is not. That is not an apples to apples comparison. I demanded a new component be installed on a new piece of equipment. To your comparison, would you accept a rebuilt alternator or water pump on your new $60,000 truck? I don't believe that you would? Just as I do not feel I should have to have put up with a beat up component on a new backhoe. I also did not feel I should have to wait 1-2 weeks with the tractor / backhoe out of service while they got
as i started my post..."just my opinion" ....obviously yours is different and you recieved the compensation you asked for.........seals, gaskets, o-rings etc are service parts that can degrade with lack of use......i would be extremely suprized if they didnt take your old cylinder and reseal it and put it back on the shelf for sale as new...

·
Registered
12,133 Posts
No it is not. That is not an apples to apples comparison. I demanded a new component be installed on a new piece of equipment. To your comparison, would you accept a rebuilt alternator or water pump on your new $60,000 truck? I don't believe that you would? Just as I do not feel I should have to have put up with a beat up component on a new backhoe. I also did not feel I should have to wait 1-2 weeks with the tractor / backhoe out of service while they got around to rebuilding the cylinder on a 2 month old piece of equipment.

Jeff
Chevy has had multiple engines with ring wear issues. They do rebuilds unless the block is damaged.

As long as the parts that are damaged are replaced they are doing what’s required and expected. You’d probably still have a nice looking cylinder if it was just inspected and repaired, and why stop at a cylinder, why not a whole new backhoe so there no wrench marks on the bolts?

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
458 Posts

Chevy has had multiple engines with ring wear issues. They do rebuilds unless the block is damaged.

As long as the parts that are damaged are replaced they are doing what’s required and expected. You’d probably still have a nice looking cylinder if it was just inspected and repaired, and why stop at a cylinder, why not a whole new backhoe so there no wrench marks on the bolts?
I love how you two Gentlemen like to compare a whole engine with hundreds of parts to a hydraulic cylinder with a dozen or so and most likely 2-3 year old (or older) vehicles with known fleetwide problems.

And how many miles were on those Chevy engines with ring wear issues? 20, 30, 40 thousand miles. (Out of warranty, but repaired in good faith to avoid a class action suit?) We are discussing a new tractor with at the time 25 hours on it. Trust me, if Chevy, Ford or Honda, tried to rebuild an engine in my new car, that had failed due to their admitted poor engineering or assembly practices, It would have been replaced with a new one.

Jeff

·
Registered
243 Posts
The 3025e has to be a 2017 or newer, so certainly warranty should cover it depending upon it's purchase / service date. When ever there is a doubt, it's best to ask the Service Manager at your dealership.

The warranty coverage on the tractor is as follows, from John Deere's Warranty Statement;

12) Compact Utility Tractors a) Power train on Compact Utility Tractors (components as per B above) b) Compact Utility Tractor Loaders D120,120R, 220R, 300E, 300R, 320R, 400E, 440R

24 Months or 2000 Hours, Whichever Comes First
The Power train is warrantied for 72months or 2000 hours, Whichever Comes First

What is included In Compact Utility Tractor Power train Warranty -Engine cylinder block, cylinder head, valve covers, oil pan, timing gear covers, flywheel housing, emissions control components and all parts contained therein. Power train - transmission, transmission case, differential and axle housings, clutch housings, MFWD front axle assembly, and all parts contained therein (does not include external drive lines, dry clutch parts, or steering cylinders).

I think you should bring this to the Service Managers attention right away as the clock is ticking on the 24 month period, plus the 2,000 hour limitation applies, but we don't often see people use these tractors over 1,000 hours a year...but it could happen .................

Here is the link to the Warranty Statement.

Many people think the tractor is warrantied bumper to bumper for 6 years, etc. That is not the case. Read the warranty statement, its very clear and its the governing document. It's also pretty clear on what's covered for the entire warranty and what's limited to the 2 year period.

I have heard some say "If you buy the loader on the tractor, its covered for 6 years but if you buy it separately, its covered for just the 2 years." Well, the loader isn't the Power Train and only the Power Train components are eligible for the 6 years of coverage. The document is pretty clear and it's Deere's official document, not someone's opinion or hearsay.

In my opinion, if you have had your tractor for 2 years or it has more than 2,000 hours on it, you might have exhausted the warranty coverage on your machine for the FEL cylinders. Check with your dealers service manager to be sure as they will know your date of service, etc from your delivery file.
I think if you buy the loader separate it is only a 1 year warranty, so you get an extra year buying it when you buy the tractor, same goes for other implements when you buy them at the same time, warranty goes to 2 years not 6. This is what my dealer told me.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I love how you two Gentlemen like to compare a whole engine with hundreds of parts to a hydraulic cylinder with a dozen or so and most likely 2-3 year old (or older) vehicles with known fleetwide problems.

And how many miles were on those Chevy engines with ring wear issues? 20, 30, 40 thousand miles. (Out of warranty, but repaired in good faith to avoid a class action suit?) We are discussing a new tractor with at the time 25 hours on it. Trust me, if Chevy, Ford or Honda, tried to rebuild an engine in my new car, that had failed due to their admitted poor engineering or assembly practices, It would have been replaced with a new one.

Jeff
and i love how you think you actually got a new cylinder with the can of spray paint from the dealer....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,133 Posts
and i love how you think you actually got a new cylinder with the can of spray paint from the dealer....:rolleyes:
I had to wonder the same thing. Pull one off a tractor that’s approaching old stock, then do a swap, and put a freshly rebuilt one on the tractor on the lot.

Either way the dealer did what they felt was easiest for customer service, if they said no what are you going to do wait 2 years for a lawsuit to be settled while the rest of the warranty expires? I really don’t care. I have yet to see where rejecting good faith efforts and making demands ever puts you ahead in the long run. There are two good redit threads for entertainment, entitled people and malicious compliance.

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
458 Posts
I didn't get a can of spray paint. The wrong cylinder was new, why would the right one not be?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I didn't get a can of spray paint. The wrong cylinder was new, why would the right one not be?
"I noticed that the cylinder was all banged up. (Numerous areas of chipped paint; from riding around with no box or protection in his service trailer for a week I later found out.)
I complained to the service manager and he handed me can of John Deere black paint."

i probably misunderstood your post....

·
Registered
3 Posts
would anyone be interested in buying a quick loader set up for a D160 Loader. I never use it like i thought i would comes with feet for the loader as well. asking $300 + Shipping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts