Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Know, I know,I know,
The K46 transmission is trash.
Well after 100 hrs of use our transmission failed on the tractor. It has the standard problem of running good for 10-15 mins and then it won't go up a hill at all ( even a 4 degree straight slope):banghead:
The tractor is 3 years old and due to it being over 2 years old JD says it has no warranty.It has a babied life of dealer service at 25 and 80 hrs with no issues at all.
Has anyone had any luck with filing a case with JD and seeing if they absorb the cost of replacing it?

Second to that,they will replace it with the same trashy transmission not the K66 that doesn't miss a beat. When/if that is done I do not have high hopes the new one will last any longer than the original one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You didn't ask this but...

If you are mechanically inclined, you can most likely fix it with a few hours of your time and the cost of a few sheets of ultrafine wet/dry sanding paper and a few quarts of synthetic oil.

There a number of how-to's out there if you search on the subject

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
I would upgrade. Either fix and sell, or sell "as is" for parts or someone else to fix "Mechanic's special" :flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Your title is a bit misleading. It should read "D170 transmission fails after 3 years and 100.2 hrs - JD says no warranty".

The warranty on these tractors is 2 years or 120 hours, whichever comes first. I will admit that it probably shouldn't have failed this early but it is a year out of warranty. I'm not sure what you expected JD to do.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
First off, check what xcopterdoc suggests-if no luck there...

For clarification, you say JD says no to warranty then ask if you should open up a case with JD? Do you mean that the dealer declined to cover the repairs under warranty or that actually JD has declined? I’d say by all means talk to Deere and ask them to intervene if it’s the dealer that’s talking-but if Deere has already declined then opening a case won’t probably get you anything.

If no case and no warranty solution is to be found I’d suggest going the route denverguy suggests and try repairing it yourself. I have a 14 year old L130 with ~735 hours on my K46, it’s holding up very strongly after I rehabbed the trans-it’s not terribly difficult and is usually at least successful in getting some additional life from them.

·
Super Moderator
8,030 Posts
Your title is a bit misleading. It should read "D170 transmission fails after 3 years and 100.2 hrs - JD says no warranty".

The warranty on these tractors is 2 years or 120 hours, whichever comes first. I will admit that it probably shouldn't have failed this early but it is a year out of warranty. I'm not sure what you expected JD to do.
Good suggestion. Edited the title.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Good suggestion. Edited the title.

Sorry if I have offended the powers that be by stating the K46 transmission failed "improperly".

Yes it should not if failed at 100 hrs and yes I have asked JD to cover the repair and have opened a case with them about the issue.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Sorry if I have offended the powers that be by stating the K46 transmission failed "improperly".

Yes it should not if failed at 100 hrs and yes I have asked JD to cover the repair and have opened a case with them about the issue.
Sorry if you misunderstood my suggestion. I was mainly thinking of other folks who might get to this thread from a search. In JD's eyes failing at 1 year and 100 hrs is a lot different than 3 years and 100 hrs. Even failing at 2 years and 130 hrs is different.

But I think we all agree that it failed prematurely. Hopefully in the end JD agrees as well.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts

I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand your expectations in this situation. So, to what extent do you think Deere should be responsible for the cost of the repairs and why?

That Deere Fully cover all the costs?

50/50% ?

Deere paying 20% of the cost, since it's 20% under the warranty hour limit?

Is it simply because the unit is 20% under the 120 hour limit, yet 50% over the warranty time limit?

In your opinion, what would be the fair thing for Deere to do in this situation and why?

Being that the machine is a year out of warranty, even though it is below the hours, personally I would be very surprised if Deere would pay anything towards the cost to repair this.

The good news is that it appears You can buy the entire assembly for under $400 from a number of sources. If Deere doesn't honor the "case request", at least the parts are widely available and inexpensive, Heck, even Amazon sells parts for the K46.

Have you been to the Tuff Torq website, the maker of the K46?

K46 - Tuff Torq Corporation

Their parts illustrations and assembly illustration were helpful in working on their products. Here is a basic troubleshooting guide for the Tuff torq products.

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/instance1EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/Troubleshooting/Diagnostic_Flowchart_EN_23DEC08.pdf

Tuff Torq also has stated on their website that many of the "Well Meaning Blogs" and other information sources on the internet are directing people on "money saving repairs" and "easier fixes" which apparently don't involve replacing all of the parts which might be worn. Make sure to read this regarding any repairs to be made on your machine. They are offering the suggested parts replacement list in a Kit form, which would be a great place to start if you are not going to simply swap out the entire assembly. Also, Tuff Torq has this page about making repairs to the assembly which is worth reading.....

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/instance1EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/TechInfo/help/helplosspower.html

·
Registered
700 Posts
Seems pretty straight forward to me you are out of warranty.

Imagine you had a three year old Chevy Cruze blow the transmission at 10000 miles and three years, and Chevy told you to go pound sound.

That's where OP is at. JD needs to stop making garbage. In Ontario, we have a thing called "implied warranty", and it is ALWAYS in the favour of the consumer. In this case, OP is close enough in time (18 months is typically the allowance), and well within the hours.

I can't comment on the OP's state, but take JD to small claims. I bet they'll "settle" real quick.

·
Super Moderator
5,093 Posts
Tuff Torq also has stated on their website that many of the "Well Meaning Blogs" and other information sources on the internet are directing people on "money saving repairs" and "easier fixes" which apparently don't involve replacing all of the parts which might be worn. Make sure to read this regarding any repairs to be made on your machine. They are offering the suggested parts replacement list in a Kit form, which would be a great place to start if you are not going to simply swap out the entire assembly. Also, Tuff Torq has this page about making repairs to the assembly which is worth reading.....

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/instance1EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/TechInfo/help/helplosspower.html

I had never noticed it in the JD Parts catalogs before but the other day I was in there poking around and Deere now lists those kits on their site. The JD Part number for the D110 tranny is MIA880779. Looks like it runs ~$700 most places but I did see one guy selling one on EBay for $575.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Imagine you had a three year old Chevy Cruze blow the transmission at 10000 miles and three years, and Chevy told you to go pound sound.

That's where OP is at. JD needs to stop making garbage. In Ontario, we have a thing called "implied warranty", and it is ALWAYS in the favour of the consumer. In this case, OP is close enough in time (18 months is typically the allowance), and well within the hours.

I can't comment on the OP's state, but take JD to small claims. I bet they'll "settle" real quick.
Not quite. It would be like having a 4 year old Chevy Cruse blow the transmission at 10000 miles, assuming 3 year/36000 mile powertrain warranty.
1 year out of warranty, the dealer is certainly going to tell you to go pound sand.

Around here, the powertrain warranty is 3 years/36000 miles. Some are now 5 years/50000 miles. Some longer.
In any event, at 1 year plus out of warranty, good luck covering anything under warranty regardless of the actual use.

I still havent seen if it was actually Deere that said this or just the dealer, so its still unknown who actually said it wasnt a warranty item.
From the OPs last post, it appears that it was simply the dealer that said they wouldnt warranty it. If thats the case, we dont know that Deere will or wont do anything yet.

As to small claims court, good luck to the OP should he try that. Deere isnt settling anything. They have a whole team of lawyers that handle much bigger cases than this, and while its fun to believe that simply claiming you will sue will somehow get them to do extra, most times its the opposite. You claim to have contacted a lawyer, they say thats fine, we have plenty of those, and are done talking outside of those lawyers.
Its been said in the past that they almost enjoy these kinds of things. They are EXTREMELY aggressive in defending their own trademarks, printed materials, etc. Thinking they would somehow be afraid of some out of warranty claim against them is misguided.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
As a dealer tech I guess I will give my 2 cents based on past experiences over the last 12 yrs.
The dealer can go at this several ways.
#1. Its out of warranty. Case closed. Here is the quote for a new trans and associated parts.
#2. Low hours, warranty timed out. Machine never pulled hills or cart or ran a plow ect. Go to the regional guy and pleed your case. Best case it's Deere pays parts and owner pays labor.
#3 Deere pays all based on owners past history of owning Deere products. If you have 5 Deere tractors, commercial mowers, 3 combines and such. . yup.. Yur covered and rightly so. We have given commercial mowers to farmers that have invested several hundred thousand dollars on large AG equipment.
We have successfully warrantied out of warranty units before. It can be done. But it takes a good service mgr and a willing regional Deere guy to make it happen. It may come down to an overall comprise. And I will tell ya.. Deere is the most warranty forgiving out there. Go in there with yur azz on yur shoulders, threatening to call a lawyer will go no where fast.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Are you sure the tranny is bad. I've fixed a couple of D models and others that said they would move on flat but not an incline.If you look at the axle with the wheel off there's a key way,I've seen them spun where any torque they won't spin but will grab enough to turn on flat surface,or just broke in two.

·
Administrator
20,664 Posts
Gentlemen, please keep this respectful. Thank you. :hi:

I’ve removed some posts and cleaned this thread.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As a dealer tech I guess I will give my 2 cents based on past experiences over the last 12 yrs.
The dealer can go at this several ways.
#1. Its out of warranty. Case closed. Here is the quote for a new trans and associated parts.
#2. Low hours, warranty timed out. Machine never pulled hills or cart or ran a plow ect. Go to the regional guy and pleed your case. Best case it's Deere pays parts and owner pays labor.
#3 Deere pays all based on owners past history of owning Deere products. If you have 5 Deere tractors, commercial mowers, 3 combines and such. . yup.. Yur covered and rightly so. We have given commercial mowers to farmers that have invested several hundred thousand dollars on large AG equipment.
We have successfully warrantied out of warranty units before. It can be done. But it takes a good service mgr and a willing regional Deere guy to make it happen. It may come down to an overall comprise. And I will tell ya.. Deere is the most warranty forgiving out there. Go in there with yur azz on yur shoulders, threatening to call a lawyer will go no where fast.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Between personal and my company we have 3 different JD ag tractors and 2 different mowers and have used the same dealer for 22 years. They have already said the transmission is bad. ( not a belt and not an adjustment and they have serviced it from day 1 so they know it's history) They were the ones that suggested the claim and asking JD and that is why I was asking for any advice from people who had presented a similar situation to JD and the outcome.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts