Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 4044R CAB, Frontier L.R, Frontier R.F.M., FX110 winch, Frontier R.B., Frontier P.F., C-Line PHD
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had the dealer install a few items on my 2021 4R CAB tractor before delivery, the radio, extra hydraulic options and work lights. At the prices the dealrs charge to install things like the light kits and so on, I decided I would rather carve out some time to install other options myself even after they tried to emote that it takes "1.5 hours for this, 2.5 hours for that" in an attempt to generate revenue I suppose? I have a pretty well set up shop, and a pretty good grasp on mechanical and electrical work, not a professional by any means, but able and willing to tackle some equipment or vehicle related shop project from time to time if I can free up a time slot. I guess my point in saying that is to explain that although I am not a pro, I am also not a greenhorn willing to believe anything a dealer is willing to tell me. So I have installed some of the kits I ordered at this point, the JD liscence plate holder /w light, the JD rear view mirrors, the JD amber beacon kit, the JD air ride seat base and have the JD upgraded rear wiper kit to install at some point. In installing those items, I have come across "a lot" of things that are less than stellar involving what I believe may be someone else's shoddy work vs an issue from the factory?

-When i ordered the up-fit for my machine, I requested that when the dealer installed the radio to give me a call and I would swing by and install some upgraded speakers I purchased after hearing how abysmal the stock speakers are. (Some people may be fine with them, I'm just a HIFI guy so it matters more.) Well, they never called and when I asked about it they said it didn't take long and they didn't have to remove the roof or headliner like I was originally advised of. I paid almost $300 to have a tech do that job, and found our a few days later they didn't even hook up the Bluetooth mic, it was still in the box and when I did that myself I found that the radio was not affixed in the back as depicted in the directions. Also, I have a "cut" in the tip of the radio bezel/bracket, is that normal fare? The whole radio holder/sun glass holder etc is floppy and looking like it's going to fall out of the headliner, I'm guessing because of the cut? What I think went down is that the tech cut that plastic part so they did not have to take more apart, slapped the radio In hooking up the harness and calling it a love story? Is that normal, do they cut that plastic piece/trim holding the radio at the top?

-When I went to install the liscence plate kit I noticed that the bolts holding the work lights on were different that what came in the package with the kit. They were washer hex head bolts, not stainless steel Allen head that recess in the light. Upon taking the light off I found out why, the inside of the light was busted, so the factory screw would just go through the housing and not hold anything.
-When installing the switch for the amber beacon kit, I found out why the 5th SCV continuous flow switch alway looked crooked, half the retention tabs are broken. I'm guessing the whole panel wasn't removed, so the pulled the two screws holding the trim in a drove there hand in the gap to try and get it done as fast as possible without any regard for wire management. Which leads me to the best part, a hole drilled to gain access from the outside which led to a small animal building a nest I'm the middle of all those switches and wires. Best part, the small creature, whatever it was has a taste for the labels on all the wiring harness plugs.....

I really am a bit perturbed right now, and questioning the hydraulic work at this point. I would not have likely noticed any of this, except the radio shroud had I not elected to just install these kits myself. This is what $10k in upfit looks like? Ugh.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Where did they cut the hole?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nothing you mentioned is right. Removing side panel is slightly time consuming process and is quite difficult to remove completely because of loader stick. However I would expect dealer to go at least this far. And for the money you paid full disassembly and nothing less is expected. Drilling holes without your permission and any real unavoidable need? Thats absolutely unacceptable. If it was me I would have them replace the whole wiring harness as well. You never know if only labels were eaten. Radio installation took me 3 minutes as everything is pre wired. You pop the cover find connectors and screw the radio in. If that cost 300 than I think I will make a business out of that.
If the same technician worked on hydraulics as well I would be affraid of what shaneningans he has done there.
Please don't settle for any of this have it all taken care of.
Our local technicians accidentally broke pump holder on washer fluid reservoir while installing rear wiper and when we noticed it it was immediately put under warranty repair.
If possible keep us updated.

·
Registered
2021 4044R CAB, Frontier L.R, Frontier R.F.M., FX110 winch, Frontier R.B., Frontier P.F., C-Line PHD
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll post some more photos tomorrow after I have a little "cool off peroid"..... Was too frustrated at the time to spend another moment looking at it, so I locked the doors and went home... :/ I can tolerate a screw up here and there, I make them occasionally just like anyone else is capable of. But after spending time installing my kits myself and by default, having a more fine tooth comb look at things, it was frustrating. Especially considering the hourly rate they command and on my end, the loyalty to a fault spending money at the same dealer across far more products than JD whether it's the best deal or not. I'm very pro brick and mortar when it comes to purchases if possible.

·
Registered
2021 4044M
71 Posts
I would be standing at or on the Service Managers desk as soon as possible. There is no excuse for shoddy workmanship like this. That “technician” needs to be educated about the proper treatment of customer machines and taught that customer expectations need to be met, if not exceeded, on every job.

If that was my tractor they would be replacing everything he screwed up with NEW parts as well as refunding some amount of the installation cost as a goodwill gesture. I would also have them note in my file that the “tech” is never to touch my tractor again.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry it took so long to post, been a 36hr week already and counting. Also needed a cool down session before I went by the dealer and truly spoke mind, although I learned the hard way its best to keep some comments in your head and be prepared with rational rebuttals vs angry nonsense, although the angry tirade definitely feels better for the first 30 seconds after your done. But I digress, so a hole wasn't drilled "but", a plug was not reinstalled bottom right corner under the floor mat, and also a boot was not properly secured there as well so there were two locations giving small furry creatures a basically "front door" to enter right into that RH console and all the wiring. I'm sure Deere had a good reason for using boots and plugs on all the penetrations into the cab?.... There are tool marks on just about all the trim pieces where it looks like someone used a crowbar and a hammer vs the proper tools for taking apart plastic panels etc. I'm not a mechanic, but I learned round about 15yrs old installing my first car stereo that there are tools for removing plastic vehicle panels and if you don't use them, it destroys the plastic and every plastic snap tab will get broken upon removal as well and then everything rattles. I have a set of those tools in my garage, not being a mechanic myself, I feels it's reasonable to expect the dealership charging well over $100 an hour to have the proper tools? I have also attached a photo of the radio abortion, sorry if this violates some forum rule, but I have no other words that come to mind to properly describe it. Might I restate that I personally finished the install because they forgot the Bluetooth microphone, but still paid the same install fee and thats when I fully realized how close the whole mess is to falling out of the headliner.... Lastly, there is a bundle of wires on the RH side of the cab on the floor that I have been able to see since day one, is it supposed to be like that vs neatly tucked under the rubber mat protected and out of sight?.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also attached a photo of the switch that has a broken tab, so will never stay flush, I'm guessing this happened when forcing it all back into place because someone didn't properly remove the panel to install the switches? Also s picture of the plug that was missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
RIP poor trim around the radio and switch. Best of luck trying to sort out damaged parts with your dealer.

The cable on the right side is like it is supposed to be. Not the brightests solution by JD. But everything is supposed to be inside the conduit. So whatever is that red tapped cable is an addition.

·
Premium Member
16,055 Posts
That workmanship is unacceptable on so many levels I don't even know where to start.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RIP poor trim around the radio and switch. Best of luck trying to sort out damaged parts with your dealer.

The cable on the right side is like it is supposed to be. Not the brightests solution by JD. But everything is supposed to be inside the conduit. So whatever is that red tapped cable is an addition.
Yeah, I figured the wire loom was factory, the red wire electrical taped to it looked like an afterthought? It could just be a "made on a Monday or a Friday" at the factory thing? Looking at it with the eyes of a skeptic because of the other items, I just have to wonder?....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That workmanship is unacceptable on so many levels I don't even know where to start.
If I would not have already written a novel in my previous posts, I would say you took the words right out of my mouth..... I tend to have laser focus on the task at hand and have learned to put blinders up with some things to curb my latent OCD. So from the dealer to my driveway, i am thinking "sweet, new machine to get more work done and it does look shiny" vs checking fit and finish like its a 69' Camaro ZL1 I just had rebuilt (yes I'm dreaming). As long as it functions properly, I am usually good and figure it's gonna get used anyways. But, and its a big but in this case, I cannot get the $10k upfit I had done there out of my head.... uggh. I guess I should expect more?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts