Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I posted this situation but apparently not. I bought a pair of Danner work boots last year (made in the USA :usa), great boots and good ankle support.

So there I was with my foot on the tractor step to enter the cab like usual and when I went to move that foot the boot tread got caught in the grid of the step. Having ignored the "always have three points of contact when entering and exiting equipment" I started to fall backwards and at the last moment I grabbed the handrail on the opened cab door.

Falling backwards wouldn't have been kind to my head however I'm a slow learner and almost repeated the same situation a few days later but not nearly as dramatic. I had an instant flashback of the earlier experience.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,348 Posts
Close, close!!!
Glad you caught yourself. :good2:

That's a long way down falling backwards, believe me I know. :banghead:

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
I have in engraved in my brain how to get in and out of equipment properly - I used to teach that stuff and just got so used to it that I would have to stop and think hard about doing it another way.

But I did it once - fell off my big truck when getting out.

I was driving a Mack for my first year hauling mail. The other guys had fairly new Volvo’s - I wanted a Volvo. Called the boss and he sent me one.

First day with the Volvo. At the end of my run I would fuel after I dropped my trailer then go home. Getting out of the Volvo properly - backwards - I made the second step, reached for the grab bar, and it wasn’t there. Thankfully the fuel pump was right behind me - gave it a heck of a bang but at least it kept me upright.

The grab bar on the old Mack was on the outside of the cab. When I looked up to see what happened - the grab handle on the Volvo was inside the door jamb so it was hidden when the door was closed.

It took me so long to learn that new grab handle. I got enough of a hit that day that I stopped before making my decent each time for a month before I got used to it. Memory function is hard to change.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes, you were lucky there was something behind you to break the fall!

I’m trying to be super careful and aware especially when using power tools since old age is catching up with me (turned 70 recently.) Another fly in the ointment that complicates getting into and out of equipment is my left leg is weaker than my right leg due to neuropathy. I’ve always placed my left foot on the step first but I’m trying to retrain myself to use the other foot.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
If that fuel pump wasn’t there it would have been bad - I was falling faster than I could even try to get my arms behind me somewhat. It would have been the head banging on the asphalt at full force.

Since I’ve had RA I have to be very deliberate with every move I make. I get on and off my tractor as if I were 90+ years old. I had to get the assistance of KennyD to get a step put on my tractor - just couldn’t do it without anymore.

Same goes getting in and out of my truck. For 9 years with my ‘09 F150 I was so mad that Ford felt the driver side grab handle was unnecessary. That plus I had the tubular running boards which had very small section where you could just get the ball of your foot on it. Thankfully now with my ‘15 I have a grab handle once again plus nice big platform running boards.

The risk of falling is always on my mind. Because of the RA my joints are pretty messed up. If I try to work on something like underneath my tractor or truck I have to rig up a rope from the rafters nearby so I can help pull myself up. If I fall outside somewhere I have to hope my wife is watching so she can come help me.

Falling off equipment is no joke. When I worked for the state you could be written up for getting out of equipment and trucks coming forward. A lot of guys did it especially the trucks. According to their statistics the most common “light” injury was coming out of trucks forward and them getting the heel of their boot caught.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are a real trooper Stan - my sister had RA.

The Mrs. is always on me about working too hard, too much and "why don't pay somebody to do that" but it keeps me entertained, I save money, get exercise, and I know the job is done right.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
You are a real trooper Stan - my sister had RA.

The Mrs. is always on me about working too hard, too much and "why don't pay somebody to do that" but it keeps me entertained, I save money, get exercise, and I know the job is done right.
Even though it’s painful and I am painfully slow, I have to do something every day. The first few years having RA I just sat in this chair - about drove me insane. But with the combo of all these medications I can at least do something for an hour or so a day. Have learned that is my limit but at least I get a feeling of accomplishment - very important to keep the attitude in check.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
I wore Danner boots many years ago. But then they started importing them. This was before I could do any research as internet in every household was still rare then. So I guess you can get made in the USA on some certain models now.

I had a pair of low hikers that I wore when I was mowing commercially - had them for years and refused to give them up. Was especially upset when I found I couldn't replace them with the same thing.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Hey Coaltrain - off topic a bit, but.. I always take my cell phone with me when I go outside, just in case. I know you don't have any cell coverage where you're at, but have you considered getting a pair ofvthe FRS radios so you could call Mrs C in case you fall or need assistance?

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have many Danner boots and love them. Maybe I been lucky but I have no problem on or off my tractor.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Hey Coaltrain - off topic a bit, but.. I always take my cell phone with me when I go outside, just in case. I know you don't have any cell coverage where you're at, but have you considered getting a pair ofvthe FRS radios so you could call Mrs C in case you fall or need assistance?

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!
Yeah - thought about that. But I know I would never remember to take it with me.....

When I go out yonder out of sight of the house I will tell Mrs. C what I am doing and about how long I will be. She knows what sounds she should be hearing as far as the tractor, chainsaw, etc. it it gets too quiet for long enough she will come investigate.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My boot requirements when I chose the Danner were a) waterproof b) steel toe and c) USA made.

This is the Danner boot I bought - their Quarry model with an "alloy" toe (as opposed to a steel toe I suppose.) Unfortunately the boot isn't 100% sourced in the US but at least it's assembled here.

Somewhat on-topic:
For a good part of 2018 we had a major house addition and remodeling project going on and there were primarily two guys here five days a week for months with the contractor helping out now and then. I was really disappointed there was zero emphasis on workplace safety. Nobody ever wore safety glasses and one guy wore something like a running or tennis shoe. There was a helper kid for a few days and he got something in his eye (what a surprise) and I took him back to the shop and used an eye wash bottle (I have two eye wash stations) to flood his eye.

They never cleaned up at the end of the workday (except for putting most of the tools away) but I was busy sweeping and picking up every day during the day - last thing I wanted was somebody falling or tripping on their mess.

I should have insisted on a copy of their workman's comp insurance but never did.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Danners are good boots. I've never had any but my dad swears by them. Always used them as flight boots in both his 26 years as a search and rescue pilot in the Air Force, and now as a medivac pilot in his civilian life.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts