Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with the Danuser 8800 hydraulic post hole digger? It's advertised on everything attachments and looks pretty neat. I have a ton of trees to plant and thought this might make life easier. I would be running it on my 2720, does anyone have any thoughts either for or against?
Thanks, R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
It certainly looks good. Do you have the hydraulic outlets to run it, or would they have to be added?

Awful expensive, but hydraulic augers are. Really nice to be able to reverse one if it gets hung up. You could get a PTO auger for a whole lot less, and will have to take small bites of the hole regardless of which one you choose. Dig down a few inches, clear. Dig down a few more, clear again. The three point capacity will be the deciding factor on how deep you can go in one bite.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a set of rear remotes that would run it, it is expensive, more than I wanted to spend but I'm going to be a one man show most of the time and figured with the hydraulic unit it won't get stuck and there are no shear pins to worry about.

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kenny, interesting concept. I think Danuser have a similar set up. Do you have any idea how much those LP rigs go for? I think the Danuser are close to $2500.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
Sorry Bonefish, I don't know what they sell for. Perhaps one of our vendors can get you a quote.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
Keep in mind that not only can 3pt PHDs be hydraulic, but can have down pressure also. Put a hydraulic side link on the 3pt and now you can easily control any angle that may need to be accounted for. I personally prefer to have the 3pt setup, because I don't loose the use of my loader. But, for me anyway, I can see in a straight line only 6-7 feet away better than I can at an angle 15-18 feet away. :bye:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Put a hydraulic side link on the 3pt and now you can easily control any angle that may need to be accounted for.:
Have you tried this?

I cut out the part of the boom that hooks to the tractor and welded in a draft link ball and use a bushing. Not exactly sure why or don't want to type a lot but it didn't work out like I expected.

Fran

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
Have you tried this?

I cut out the part of the boom that hooks to the tractor and welded in a draft link ball and use a bushing. Not exactly sure why or don't want to type a lot but it didn't work out like I expected.

Fran
You can see in this picture that I have the hydraulic side link as described. Yes it works to tilt the PHD. :thumbup1gif: I don't understand why you would cut up your PHD though. :think:

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
You can see in this picture that I have the hydraulic side link as described. Yes it works to tilt the PHD. :thumbup1gif: I don't understand why you would cut up your PHD though. :think:
Maybe I don't understand that hydraulic side link as described. I see more stuff on there than replacing the adjustable lift link with a tilt function.

It wouldn't angle, I cut and modified it and it still won't angle. Just need drill with a bigger auger or make adjustments with hand tools is where I seemed to end up.

I suppose my post hole driller is more robust than that one. The end of the boom had an one inch hole for the pin that goes where the top link attaches. I had a lower link come off a light duty one when just using the pole part which I do and it bent a piece between the pipe of the pole and the socket for the pin. This one might break the top link mount. It would seem to need flex at that point it it was to angle. I know the light duty one would have had enough play it it had worked out. But it didn't work out for me as the top of the arch pinned through the the main beam. Surely that picture doesn't show the tractor on a side hill drilling a hole vertically. It might work out for you it didn't in my case.

Fran

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
Maybe I don't understand that hydraulic side link as described. I see more stuff on there than replacing the adjustable lift link with a tilt function.

It wouldn't angle, I cut and modified it and it still won't angle. Just need drill with a bigger auger or make adjustments with hand tools is where I seemed to end up.

I suppose my post hole driller is more robust than that one. The end of the boom had an one inch hole for the pin that goes where the top link attaches. I had a lower link come off a light duty one when just using the pole part which I do and it bent a piece between the pipe of the pole and the socket for the pin. This one might break the top link mount. It would seem to need flex at that point it it was to angle. I know the light duty one would have had enough play it it had worked out. But it didn't work out for me as the top of the arch pinned through the the main beam. Surely that picture doesn't show the tractor on a side hill drilling a hole vertically. It might work out for you it didn't in my case.

Fran
Do you understand how a hydraulic side link works? It changes the the distance between the lift arm and the draft arm. This then tilts the implement, any implement, side to side. Nothing changes on the implement.

I seriously doubt that your PHD is more robust than that Land Pride PD35. Even Danuser's F8 is basically the same. So unless you have something custom made, I believe that you are mistaken.

I don't know what your PHD has for a pin hole at the end of the boom, but my PD35 has a ball swivel and that allows the boom to move as needed.

What is confusing you in the picture? That is a PHD with a down pressure unit with a 24" bit in the ground . My tractors have hydraulic top and tilt units on them. Of course the hydraulic top link is removed when I use the PHD. The hydraulic side link stays in place and can be used when needed.

No that picture is not showing anything on a slope. I was drilling holes for trees on that day and just wanted a picture of the rig. Nothing special.

Any chance you have some pictures of your set up? Maybe someone can get you headed in the right direction since it sounds like you have had some problems.

:bye:

·
Registered
616 Posts
The best advise I can give anyone who has never used a PHD is to rent one first. see how it works, see what you like and don't like before you dro pa ton of money on one. I think you'll find that a PHD for under $1000 will handle the work on most people's properties, but if you were a professional fence installer, or tree planter, then maybe some specialized stuff makes sense. I've had a PHD for 10 years, only use it ever couple of years for some project or another.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Ransx, that's definitely sound advice. My thinking on the hydraulic unit is ill be on my own most of the time and just don't want to wrestle with it if it gets stuck. My soil here is fairly heavy red clay, I can see me getting it buried, especially as I'm a rookie at this task.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If I was going to buy one, it would be this style: HD25 Series Post Hole Diggers | Land Pride

That way you'd have better visibility, and downpressure. It could also be mounted on a backhoe.
Removing the bucket on the BH and making a mount for it where the bucket goes would seem to work real good in my mind. Then you can see everything and you have down pressure and power to remove it as well and you could use an SCV that you have for a thumb to run it. Thanks Kenny. Great idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts