Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put a dash cam in our flatbed truck. Newish Ford F450. Rides like a deuce and a half with cement wheels. The suction mount Garmin GPS can't hang onto the windshield for very long between drops onto the dash.

Further, the dang auxiliary power sockets stay live when the key is shut off, complicating the whole automatic recording functionality. So, it will need to be hard wired in somewhere, somehow. Yay. Thanks Ford.:good2:

Any gadget junkies have a recommendation? I've read good reviews about these G1W things and the similar A118 versions, which I like the unobtrusiveness of. I don't care for a windshield becoming a media center.

And I'm not interested in something like a go pro or using a smart phone. I want dedicated stuff, out of mind, and preferably out of sight.

I'm only considering new technology, micro sd or better. Long recording storage, several hours. Only HD quality, no last year's clearance models. Been there, done that. Not worth the savings.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest thing available but it seems like you can get something good for under $100 these days. Maybe I'm wrong about that one, which is why I ask the question.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
I kind of gave up on this. I bought a cheap one when on sale just to try it. Of course it worked for about 1 week and that was it. I then did my due research on purchasing another with a budget similar to yours. The more reviews I read the more frustrated I became until I ultimately gave up. It seems the price doesn't matter much - most of them seem to come from one or two overseas factories with just different names on them. All junk in my opinion.

And I had the same issue with the always live 12v ports in my truck (Ford) - i would go ahead and hardwire one if I found a decent quality cam but that never happened.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I'll be curious to see what folks have to say, as I'd like to have one for my work truck as well.

One feature I would like would be a button somewhere I could hit to take a still photo. I haven't seen that option yet, so I may be stuck trying to capture one frame of the video on the laptop.

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kind of gave up on this. I bought a cheap one when on sale just to try it. Of course it worked for about 1 week and that was it. I then did my due research on purchasing another with a budget similar to yours. The more reviews I read the more frustrated I became until I ultimately gave up. It seems the price doesn't matter much - most of them seem to come from one or two overseas factories with just different names on them. All junk in my opinion.

And I had the same issue with the always live 12v ports in my truck (Ford) - i would go ahead and hardwire one if I found a decent quality cam but that never happened.
Well then I'm even more glad that I asked the question! Hopefully some all knowing orb will be along to adorn all of us with their vast knowledge.

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The Best Dash Cam | The Wirecutter
Been very good and is inexpensive

Funny, I read that article this morning which led me down the path of the G1W. Good to hear from a reliable source!

My concern with that one is the suction cup deal and possibly getting power into it. The last time I took a dash board apart, it was to install a month's pay in the form of an Alpine hi fi cassette deck. Those contortionist days are long over.

·
Registered
10,021 Posts
I don't know squat about dash cams, but bought one identical to the one in the photo below.

When the viewing screen is folded upward, it looks like a Radar Detector. The facilities I enter do not allow cameras, so this one works for me(kind of covert). I do not know the brand. Been using it in my F450 for a bit over 2 years. Bought it off of eBay and can't find another like it. I'm guessing they discontinued the model.
It's so light, it stays in place next to the interior rear-view mirror. I lost the instructions, so It's trial & error to set it up.

Below is the closest to the one I have. Click on the photo.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
If you're looking at the G1, consider the B40 as well. A little more money, but supposedly better build quality. It would be nice if a local retailer stocked some of these so you could see them in person.

I'm leaning toward this one because I get to deal with a lot of dirt roads, and there are reports of the mounting slot cracking on on G1W.

·
Registered
97 Posts
WE have rearview mirror cameras that record not only the front of the vehicle but also the operators compartment on the Ambulances (wear your seatbelt big brother is watching you)on my side job. They activate on sudden starting /stopping/ hard braking or turns. there is also an emergency panic button that will record back almost 30 seconds from prior to pushing button. They record on a loop and can be downloaded by bluetooth or wi-fi or wire.

Their footprint is just slightly larger than a standard rearview mirror and they replace the factory mirrors.

Site is :pickup:WWW.digitalallyinc.com

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're looking at the G1, consider the B40 as well. A little more money, but supposedly better build quality. It would be nice if a local retailer stocked some of these so you could see them in person.

I'm leaning toward this one because I get to deal with a lot of dirt roads, and there are reports of the mounting slot cracking on on G1W.
Thanks, that's the A118 which is what I have been favoring as well.

Bad news on the FoMoCo StuporDuty switched aux power. No such thing, apparently. :crazy: We'll have to dig. This might be a better job for sumuda guy with more time.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Thanks, that's the A118 which is what I have been favoring as well.

Bad news on the FoMoCo StuporDuty switched aux power. No such thing, apparently. :crazy: We'll have to dig. This might be a better job for sumuda guy with more time.
Yes and no. I have a 2015 350, and the two aux power points on the dash do shut off on their own a few minutes after the ignition is turned off. They come back on when you open the door though, key on or not. I've tried leaving things plugged in to charge overnight, only to find the next morning it hadn't charged at all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
While we have gone over to the GMC ferame due to Diesle availability we still have two E450 frames that have the cameras in them. They operate with no issues.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The Garmin Dashcam 20 is the one that I have been using for about a year now. Great camera and has a button for still photos. The Garmin devices (GPS and dashcams) have always fallen off after a while. I think the plastic outgases and loosens the suction over time. I put some crazy glue around the rim and stuck it in place. Never came off again and when you do haft to remove it, a razor blade slides under it and will also remove the crazy glue.:bigthumb:

·
Administrator
17,059 Posts
Not related to dash-cams in particular, but rather the mounts: I have been using RAM Mounts on my motorcycles for GPS and celly for years, and I've never read of a failure.

Ram Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions

Usually buy from here: RAM Mount

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
Yes and no. I have a 2015 350, and the two aux power points on the dash do shut off on their own a few minutes after the ignition is turned off. They come back on when you open the door though, key on or not. I've tried leaving things plugged in to charge overnight, only to find the next morning it hadn't charged at all.
I thought those my dash ports turned off automatically like you say in my F-150 . I know the radio does exactly as you say in that it will stay on for ~10 minutes after shutting the truck off but will shut off right away when the door is opened. I tested the 12V port but it stayed live - now I am wondering if it was because of the position of the key or having the door opened or closed when testing.

My project for tomorrow to test this out again. I really don't want to dig into the overhead console to hard wire one of these.

Techie1961 - thanks for the info on the Garmin. I didn't know they made one - I would tend to trust a large electronics company like that.

Maybe I will explore the dashcam idea again......i don't drive much anymore but still would like to have one. After an accident 7 years ago and taking 6 months of trouble trying to prove the drunk old man pulled right into my path makes me want to have one. Instant proff of who was at fault.

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That must be a new change. I think ours is 2012 or 2013 and those suckers are always on.

On the new models they go hot when you open the door? Yeesh. What's next, windows that automatically go down when you lock the doors? missingteeth.gif

**Just kidding! I know these are made to be work trucks, not one of Liberace's convertibles**

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
Curiousity has got the best of me with this - I have to try a couple things again tomorrow.

Chris you may be right in that mine is a 2009. Also I need to check the one in the center console - I don't think I tested that one before.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I tried several of the cheaper models before finding this one a couple of years ago. I have been real happy with it. It is very small, very good video, and even has GPS logging which I wasn't looking for but it's a neat gadget factor. Also says you can remove it and take stills with it but I've never tried that.

All the others I had used a suction cup mount, wasn't too sure about this one since it glues to the windshield so you need to make sure you have it where you want it.

Actually the mount is what glues, the camera is removable from the mount, and extra mounts were available, with or without the GPS.

This one looks like mine but not sure if it is the same since they now have several different models.

Amazon.com : OJOCAM Pro Mini 0801 Dash Cam with 8GB Samsung micro sd card, G-Sensor and GPS logger (Google Map Integration), latest firmware, record car accident video evidence, record road trip videos and easily upload to YouTube -1.5" Lcd, 1080p re

This is the same review on youtube for mine that I looked at a couple of years ago before buying, its British but a good review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPHXv8Hzj8

One thing I wasn't crazy about is mine saves the files in .mov (Apple) format, not sure if this is still the case as this wasn't mentioned when I bought mine.

I wired up another socket under the dash in my previous vehicle (Avalanche) that turned on and off with the key just for a dashcam. It had 3 sockets in the dash but everyone was hot all the time. Was surprised to find that one of the sockets in my 2014 High Country Silverado is actually switched with the key, first vehicle I've ever had that did.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have my dashcam connected to a plug that stays hot when the key is off. This way it is recording 24/7. I have it set to record in 5 minute increments so it is easier to locate a recording if I know the approx time that the incident occurred. If someone hits my truck while it is parked and unattended it will be recorded. I have it set to turn off the screen 30 seconds after it is turned on. The camera is very small and is concealed behind my mirror. I won't recommend this camera to others because it is cheaply made and the owners manual was useless. Leaving the camera on 24/7 has not caused any problems with the trucks battery even when the truck was not started for over a week.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts