Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
17,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so tonight some of us "spring forward" and readjust our clocks for DST. I do like it staying light later, and don't really care if it's darker for longer in the mornings.

Nice article on it:
Why Do We Have Daylight Saving Time?

Daylight Savings in the US

There is lots of talk and staying with DST all year around across the country-and I know some places don't change now.

So my question is who would make that decision? A Presidential executive order? A new "law" starting as a bill in congress? Or would this be on a state level since it's not spelled out in the 10th Amendment?

·
Administrator
20,310 Posts
OK, so tonight some of us "spring forward" and readjust our clocks for DST. I do like it staying light later, and don't really care if it's darker for longer in the mornings.

Nice article on it:

There is lots of talk and staying with DST all year around across the country-and I know some places don't change now.

So my question is who would make that decision? A Presidential executive order? A new "law" starting as a bill in congress? Or would this be on a state level since it's not spelled out in the 10th Amendment?
I'm the same way. I'd rather they kept Daylight Savings Time and never went to Standard Time. Either way, quit changing!!!! :lol:

I know some states have done this, Tennessee has a bill coming up this year as well. I'd like to see it go away nationally honestly.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Texas has talked about it the last couple of sessions, however, states that are talking about not changing, are talking about remaining on Standard Time all year, not DST. I'd rather change and have 8 months of DST and 4 months of Standard, than lose DST altogether. I keep myself and my critters on DST anyway, as well as my bedroom clock. It's always seemed easy enough when I was changing to get up 10-15 minutes earlier each week for the 3 weeks leading up to the change. But going onto Standard Time is never easy. As one that gets up at 03:00 to get things done, and my own critters taken care of, before cleaning up and going to work, and never needing an alarm clock, I am nearly always awake at 02:00 when on Standard Time. :hide:

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Personally I like DST, year around would be fine with me. Let's pray this never has to go through Congress, they can't agree long enough to make a decision on anything.

As a side note:

The first week of time change to DST is also the most accident prone week of the entire year according to the experts.

·
Registered
11,290 Posts

Nice article on it:

Alexandria Ortega Cortez will make the decision. She said that she is the boss and certainly makes the most noise.

Some of you older members may remember during one of the petroleum crisis when DST was moved ahead two hours instead of one and back only one in the fall. I can't remember how long it lasted but I like the idea. I drive to work in the dark regardless and really enjoy the extra daylight.

One of the moderators can remove my first sarcastic remark, even though I wrote it from the bottom of my old heart.:banghead:

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Making the most noise doesn't make you the boss, just the first person offered up in a mass office shooting.:lol: While the States have control of their time, it would be best to set it at a national level and then force the state to go on their own.

It never used to bother me. The older I get I don't like the change. Just leave the dang clocks alone.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I get more work done in a day during DST....:hide2:
IMO, We should stay on DST and it should be nation wide.
We all know you are pulling our leg. How can you even start a sentence with I get more work done...:banghead:

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
They been talking about doing away with it here for last several years. Like others said not sure who would make the decision, but way things are they can’t get anything done. :dunno:What a joke

Wish we would spring ahead and leave it!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Alexandria Ortega Cortez will make the decision. She said that she is the boss and certainly makes the most noise.

Some of you older members may remember during one of the petroleum crisis when DST was moved ahead two hours instead of one and back only one in the fall. I can't remember how long it lasted but I like the idea. I drive to work in the dark regardless and really enjoy the extra daylight.

One of the moderators can remove my first sarcastic remark, even though I wrote it from the bottom of my old heart.:banghead:
I'm with ya, Don!

I was going to suggest that the President sign an Executive Order to do just the opposite of what he really wants and then the current Congress will pass a law to do the opposite!

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!

·
Administrator
20,310 Posts
Guys, please, no politics here. :hi:

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Kennyd started it. :mocking:
:lol::lol::lolol::lolol:

well holy smokes ole giz--i was thinking it-but u said it.
for what its worth--i hated trucking across the country, with the different time zones--going west i lost time, then to come back east i gained it back. back then Indiana had some thing where they never changed their time-:dunno:

for me now i want to stay on DST too.

·
Administrator
17,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kennyd started it. :mocking:
Negative,
I simply asked who would make this change? And it seems no one knows as of yet :dunno:

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
As far as staying on DST or standard time - I like the idea of a compromise. Push the clocks ahead 1/2 hour tomorrow instead of 1 and leave it there.

Going to show my age now....I actually don’t like it when it stays light until 9:30pm around the summer solstace. Living where I do and how I live my life I kind of rise and fall with the daylight. Not so much get in bed and out of bed but my active hours during the day. I feel kind of relieved when it gets dark that I can sit down and not feel guilty about not doing anything else for the day.

I am a morning person. Don’t mind getting up before sunrise at all - will usually take that time to ease into the day.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I would like to not have the change also. I don’t care which it stays at - just as long as we don’t have the change like we do twice a year.
Personally I like DST, year around would be fine with me. Let's pray this never has to go through Congress, they can't agree long enough to make a decision on anything.

As a side note:

The first week of time change to DST is also the most accident prone week of the entire year according to the experts.
You guys are thinking about this ALL wrong,, especially for us retirees,,,

Twice a year,, I move my clock forward,, never back,, you see,, I am a forward thinker,,
I only watch Netflix and DVR recorded TV shows,, no ads, and I watch the shows WHEN I WANT TO,,

My wife and I eat when we want to,,sometimes only one meal a day,, especially if that meal is at Golden Corral,,,

I am old,, too old to go back and live the same hour over again,,
SO, AGAIN, this weekend, I will move my clock forward,,,

I have been doing this for quite a while,, lets see,, I think it is time for Jeopardy! Official Site | Jeopardy.com,,,

1 - 20 of 82 Posts