Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:usa Is anyone going to Daytona Bike week? :usa

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
:usa Is anyone going to Daytona Bike week? :usa
Nope. Not this year. Got the rallies out of my system years ago. Did have a good time in Daytona, Laconia, Sturgis, Milwaukee and Myrtle Beach over the years though. Ever since Ms. SGS started riding her own bike she's uncomfortable being in or around large crowds. I've got to say, I don't miss the lines, lack of parking and expensive hotels and restaurants that go with the territory. We do take a couple of bike trips out to Ohio every year. No more 700 mile days though. We usually do it over a couple or three days. Most of our riding is usually limited to day trips or weekends when going out together. I did take a couple of weekend trips with a neighbor last year but he's got a couple of young kids, a boat and a summer place in Laconia. Good place for a destination ride and cookout in the Summer!

If you do go to Daytona "Ride Safe!" :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
17,973 Posts
Not this year :cray:
But it's supposed to be a warm week here so I may get some riding in-Wednesday high of 74 predicted, a few friends and I are already planning to play hooky and go riding.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Not this year due to the difference in the dollar and expensive motels.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have not been to Florida yet alone the rally. I have friends who has wintered in Florida and the 'blue hair factor' was scary to off the charts scary. Still, I may go sometime in the future.

I do however feel the older I get I hate large crowds. While I like to people watch and enjoy the bikes, it gets old fast. People who don't normally ride in groups and or drink beer do both in excess.

To those who ride do so like everyone is out to kill you. I do. I ride a lot and will continue to do so but man 'cagers' texting and face booking while driving is really taking the fun out of the ride.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Hoping all my GTT friends who ride have a great season. Enjoy the road and as always, Ride Safe! :good2:

Old MC Poster.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
People who don't normally ride in groups and or drink beer do both in excess.

To those who ride do so like everyone is out to kill you. I do. I ride a lot and will continue to do so but man 'cagers' texting and face booking while driving is really taking the fun out of the ride.
I was just reading a story in the Wall Street journal recently where the Feds were in a near panic because there has been a "substantial increase" in motor vehicle accidents, injuries and deaths in 2014 and 2015. They were calling an "emergency meeting" to convene all of the authorities to discuss the matter.

Gee, let's stop for about 1.1 seconds and think about exactly what has changed in the last 2 years to result in increased accidents and traffic deaths..........DISTRACTED DRIVERS. The reason for the increase is crystal clear, distracted drivers screwing with their text messages, phones and I have even seen a few "taking selfies" while driving, not to mention all of the usual make up application, kids distractions and for those young and in love, well you know........Like what happened to Chevy Chase and his wife in one of the "Family Vacation" movies, let's just say it involved a Hummer and I am not talking the H1, H2 or H3......

It has gotten me so concerned that I have put off buying another motorcycle and has me reevaluating my riding. Just today, I was almost hit head on downtown in a 25 mph zone, by all people, the City Police officer who was obviously looking down and to his right and typing on the computer with his right hand. The guy I was going to meet at lunch was behind me and he was really surprised. When I stopped, my friend says "That guy should have come back and apologized to you for almost killing you." Yeah, like that would ever happen.

Also, the greatest increase in the accident rates in the reports I have seen is with the 16 to 29 year old drivers, the one's who for the most part can't put their phone's down long enough to do anything else. Take the drivers with the least skills and experience and add in a lifestyle which for many is built around Wastebook (aka Facebook)and Uber and everything else online and there you have it.........The worst increase in motor vehicle accidents in 50 years. Missouri is a typical example where the serious accident rate increased 11% just in 2015. The fatality rate hadn't really increased since the seat belt laws were passed 30 years ago and when MADD got really mad.

We used to worry about drunk drivers. Now I just worry about all drivers.......:unknown: Here are just a few of the stories.

https://kobi5.com/news/oregon-sees-sharp-increase-in-fatal-motor-vehicle-accidents-22065/

Increase in Motor Vehicle Crash Fatalities in 2015

Deaths in car accidents increase in Colorado

The list goes on and on........:nunu: I have told my wife that if someone kills me while I am riding and it is clear that their negligence is the cause, make it a mission to financially destroy the responsible party, not to mention criminally prosecute them. This new "indifference" to the importance of driving is unacceptable and completely avoidable and must be corrected.

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
Off subject for one thing, yesterday going to Cumberland, Md (55-60 miles) at least 5 people passed me either with a tablet ,phone and one with a book laying on the steering wheel. Then coming home I came through Frostburg at least 3-4 kids (either college or high school ) was holding the phone at the top of the steering wheel driving toward me. NUTS

Wifes cousin and her husband are in Daytona for Bike week, been going for guessing the last 15-20 yrs maybe longer.

Planning on selling my 05 Burgman 400 ,right at 6700 or 6900 miles, too many toys .

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
gee,:hijacked: I hate to get off topic here, but-I can remember working down and around the Washington, D.C. area in the mid-eighty's, and on our way from the shop to the job site, their was lots of women then putting their make-up on, people reading the paper. wasn't any cell phones then we saw. what or why the Government wait so darn long till now. back to ur normal broadcasting!!!:hide:

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Off subject for one thing, yesterday going to Cumberland, Md (55-60 miles) at least 5 people passed me either with a tablet ,phone and one with a book laying on the steering wheel. Then coming home I came through Frostburg at least 3-4 kids (either college or high school ) was holding the phone at the top of the steering wheel driving toward me. NUTS

Wifes cousin and her husband are in Daytona for Bike week, been going for guessing the last 15-20 yrs maybe longer.

Planning on selling my 05 Burgman 400 ,right at 6700 or 6900 miles, too many toys .
Now that Chevy is proudly selling new vehicles with their own built in WIFI system in the car, they are encouraging the dangerous behavior, instead of doing anything to help prevent it. Chevy has a commercial where they proudly boast that for "young drivers", the radio is muted until the seat belt is fastened. Wow, such a safety feature.

The other amazing statistic is that more young drivers and passengers are NOT wearing their seat belts. Considering that they are young enough that during their entire lives growing up, wearing seat belts has been the law, they don't have the decades of experience like some of us "more mature" folks who actually had cars without seat belts many years ago. I have noticed a trend in the TV shows, especially the so called "reality shows" where hardly anyone shown driving and riding in vehicles is wearing their seat belts. Clearly this is not a good trend to be setting.:unknown:

I used to go to Daytona bike week but the combination of "Florida Drivers" and the fact that many of the people who attend the rally's don't ride often, other than these special events, and many of them are downright dangerous to be around. Add in the drinking and crowds and it's a scene that I no longer want to be a part of. I have been to Sturgis a dozen times or more and the main reason I go there is simply for the ride mid summer and also to see the concerts at the Buffalo Chip. After that, I am off on the two lanes and away from the craziness.:good2:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sulleybear, I'm trying to keep my cool. I hear you loud and clear. After 22 years of being a first responder, you are absolutely correct. There is no excuse for driving with mobile devices in use. None.

What really amazes me is why the state of Michigan, short on cash, does not respond. Drunk driving while a serious problem is a cash cow for the state. First offense could easily cost you $10,000 by time you pay everyone involved. Why not distracted driving? It it a failure of our system when a drunk driver could spend 5-10 years in prison for manslaughter plus whatever the civil suit costs them but a 18 year driver texting gets a $100 fine? That is exactly what happened to a dizzy chick who pulled out in front of a couple on their motorcycle. Killed them both. $100 bucks. That's it. For a text about nothing. If not for public safety at least cash in on it.

Everyday I see it. Often like you I have had to take action to avoid a crash while some young person is holding their phone up in front of them. Heck, I get road rage at Meijer's grocery shopping. People pushing carts while focused on their Facebook page ramming into others.

Sad state we are in when people no longer can function without their mobile device. And this is coming from a guy who loves his iPhone. I just am thankful I can easily put it down.

isaac

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Sulleybear, I'm trying to keep my cool. I hear you loud and clear. After 22 years of being a first responder, you are absolutely correct. There is no excuse for driving with mobile devices in use. None.

What really amazes me is why the state of Michigan, short on cash, does not respond. Drunk driving while a serious problem is a cash cow for the state. First offense could easily cost you $10,000 by time you pay everyone involved. Why not distracted driving? It it a failure of our system when a drunk driver could spend 5-10 years in prison for manslaughter plus whatever the civil suit costs them but a 18 year driver texting gets a $100 fine? That is exactly what happened to a dizzy chick who pulled out in front of a couple on their motorcycle. Killed them both. $100 bucks. That's it. For a text about nothing. If not for public safety at least cash in on it.

Everyday I see it. Often like you I have had to take action to avoid a crash while some young person is holding their phone up in front of them. Heck, I get road rage at Meijer's grocery shopping. People pushing carts while focused on their Facebook page ramming into others.

Sad state we are in when people no longer can function without their mobile device. And this is coming from a guy who loves his iPhone. I just am thankful I can easily put it down.

isaac
Issac,
I am going to write to my State Representatives today and to the State Senator asking about their plans to address this growing crisis. I agree fully, with the state's cash crunch why not target the most dangerous threat to everyone on the road?

At least with the threat of drunk drivers years ago, they were on the roads later in the day or late at night. If you could avoid driving after 10 pm, you could avoid a lions share of the drunk drivers risks. Now, distracted drivers are everywhere, all of the time.

I have experienced the same thing in Meijers with people locked onto their phones. We have a locally owned smaller grocery store and we use them as much as possible as we believe in supporting locally owned companies and their customer base is much older and their are fewer cell phones in use and fewer kids in the store. It seems like every time I am in Meijer's, I run into at least half a dozen families where they bring every single person plus half the neighborhood kids grocery shopping and they are all blocking virtually every isle from side to side. It seems that manners are no longer taught and heaven forbid someone actually say excuse me, etc.

I think I am becoming the "grouchy old man" just from encountering rude and stupid people nearly everywhere I go.:unknown:

You are right about the drunk driving issue costing $10k. My neighbor had an issue last summer and between the lawyer costs and bond, fines and fees, he spent $10k. In the process, he swerved to avoid a deer which ran out in front of him and put his car in the ditch, which did $9,800 damage to his BMW.

I told him at the time that if he could afford to pay for the repairs of the car himself, he would be smart to do so as his insurance rates were going to be jacked after this claim. Sure enough, he let the insurance company fix his car and not only did they drop him, the new company would only pick him up at a high risk premium. Now he is paying $3,000 per year more than he was so he is already more than half way to the $10,000K it cost to fix his car. But I have no sympathy because you do stupid things you pay the price.

I would go to Daytona if the risks of distracted drivers wasn't so high and adding in the "Blue Hairs" in Florida, the combination is just more than I want to risk. Alright, I have officially taken this thread way off topic so I will stop now........:nunu:

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Thought I would get in my 2 cents worth even though I am not a biker. Both my brothers are, as are (were) a lot of my friends. Back in the old days, I found out that I could not master a horse or a bike. The horse knew he was boss, and the bike always pooped out in traffic, and in the days of kick starters, I ended up with a sprained ankle while being terrorized by traffic; but I got my revenge, that old Tomahawk self destructed in a sheet of flames.

But I digress. One morning on the way to work, about 7:30, Westward bound, I stopped at a rural intersection. I looked to my right, and then to my left, and to my right again, seeing nothing I started into the intersection. Just then, a motorcycle came ripping by, coming from my right...and he had his headlight on. Kinda took the starch out of me; my mind did not register that there was a bike coming, but I was looking for cars, and I think the headlight acted more as camouflage (lights act as camouflage in some instances; they used it in WWII). Took me a couple minutes go calm down, I nearly got the guy.

I guess my point is, that folks in cars have enough problem seeing bikes any way, and if you're distracted with a phone, bikes are at a real disadvantages. I had a guy nearly run my truck off the road a couple weeks ago; I can imagine what it's like for you guys on bikes.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Thought I would get in my 2 cents worth even though I am not a biker. Both my brothers are, as are (were) a lot of my friends. Back in the old days, I found out that I could not master a horse or a bike. The horse knew he was boss, and the bike always pooped out in traffic, and in the days of kick starters, I ended up with a sprained ankle while being terrorized by traffic; but I got my revenge, that old Tomahawk self destructed in a sheet of flames.

But I digress. One morning on the way to work, about 7:30, Westward bound, I stopped at a rural intersection. I looked to my right, and then to my left, and to my right again, seeing nothing I started into the intersection. Just then, a motorcycle came ripping by, coming from my right...and he had his headlight on. Kinda took the starch out of me; my mind did not register that there was a bike coming, but I was looking for cars, and I think the headlight acted more as camouflage (lights act as camouflage in some instances; they used it in WWII). Took me a couple minutes go calm down, I nearly got the guy.

I guess my point is, that folks in cars have enough problem seeing bikes any way, and if you're distracted with a phone, bikes are at a real disadvantages. I had a guy nearly run my truck off the road a couple weeks ago; I can imagine what it's like for you guys on bikes.
I can honestly say that riding a motorcycle has made me a much more aware driver as it is a matter of survival. Some motorcycle riders have added things to their bikes to cause the headlights to "flash" and "alternate" so that they are not one constant stream of light. But the lights appear much like the lights on the front of emergency vehicles and many states won't permit the "pulsating or alternating" light add on's. I did add a item to my bike years ago which causes the rear brake lights to flash brightly about a dozen times very quickly, when you first put on the brakes so that it is much more obvious and it is far easier to see, especially if you have been following a vehicle with their tail lights on all the time as is the case with motorcycles.

When I ride, you have to assume that people don't see you. I have seen many people look directly at me, to the point of almost making eye contact, and then they still made movements and either pulled out in front of me or at a minimum, they started to. I ride a full sized dresser Harley which has a headlight, two driving lights and two amber front turn signals. Years ago, before the new bikes began using LED lights, the big thing in the after market was to upgrade to LED's for the brighter lights.

But these past two years I have seen people more distracted than ever and frankly, driving more poorly than at about anytime in my life. Driving down the road on any day, I encounter situations where people are focused on doing things other than driving. The recent pinnacle was the cop who almost hit me head on yesterday in downtown on a 25 mph road. I noticed him drifting over the center line to the point where the squad car was 5/8th in my lane. I at first, thought maybe he was going around something in the road but then I could see he was looking down and to his right and I could see his right arm moving around like he was typing on their laptops they have mounted off their dash. He NEVER did get back over in his lane until after I passed him. The center of the hood of the squad car was on my side of the center line.

I should have gotten the car number, but I know I could identify the guy as I looked right at him as we passed and he never looked up. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Well I haven't driven a road bike since 1983 so I am not going for sure but I did want to comment on a person that I have known since I was 15 years old.. He and his biker "group" usually trailer the bikes this time of year and head to Daytona, my point on why I would not go especially with them,, they are a rowdy bunch who like to tease/dare the cops and cause trouble, the man has a "Hammer" pin and colors on the back of the jacket I need to say no more. He tells us all they do is drink and smoke (weed) and drink and smoke and do drugs so they can stay awake continuously then they go burn things? I don't know what they burn and don't ask. This guy impaled a guy years ago with a pipe from a chain link fence in Sturgis and I don't know if the guy lived or not, never asked!! If I'm ever subpoenaed for a deposition I don't what to know anything! This would be one reason I would not go, if these guys get trashed and drive around causing trouble and crap forget it,, I want no part of that.. Fights, no part of it either.. This guy lives for this stuff and I just don't get it? I also do not tell him he is nuts either! I don't need to be a reason for another hammer Pin!
I understand this is probably only a very small percentage of people that cause trouble, and I suspect you can get caught up in something you may not what to be caught up in! For those of you that go for the races, scenery and shows, have a great time. I hope you stay safe, just watch out for people like I just described. I think if I were there and I saw him and his group, I would be just another obstruction in their eyes.. The have no fear at all. Not my style.
We (my wife and I) used to go to Laconia back when we were kids and we were accosted by a "group" with this one big guy stating "Nice Lady" to my wife and then started following us, my wife would not shut up to the guy telling him how F'n fat he was and he wouldn't stand a chance with her etc.!.. Ah,, Okay even though I was carrying I don't know that I would use it unless it came to that, luckily we were with others from our area so nothing happened but it could have and it would have been ugly. Damn good thing he didn't see I was driving a rice burner; 1981 Kawasaki LTD 1000!!.. I am not a little 85 pound weakling and was brought up tough, however, no match for a group or this big dude either! We never attended any more rallies, it was not worth it to me especially with my other half who thinks I can take anyone she wants to insult! I am a musician for Gods sake, Peace, love and tie-dye... I'll play in any bar and I will fight if I have to but I will avoid any trouble if at all possible.. I do miss the road bike and I just recently sold my XR 250. the last Sh*$$er I took last fall told me at 62 you cannot do this anymore! Especially getting up off the ground after doing a header over the handlebars and not hearing your friends off in the distance!!! Did I go to sleep? :dunno: Have fun biking people and please stay safe. I wont even get on a horse anymore as I have fallen off those things too! The wife always rode bareback, I never really could grasp how you hang on! That's what I get for being a Sturbridge city slicker!!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Yeah Jeff your story sounds a lot like mine. I lived the biker lifestyle for decades and escape unscathed. All I have left is a 1985 Yamaha 500 4 carb street bike that I drove into a shed in 1994. Guess it is still there? Thought about getting another Harley but then the tractor happened.:laugh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Well I haven't driven a road bike since 1983 so I am not going for sure but I did want to comment on a person that I have known since I was 15 years old.. He and his biker "group" usually trailer the bikes this time of year and head to Daytona, my point on why I would not go especially with them,, they are a rowdy bunch who like to tease/dare the cops and cause trouble, the man has a "Hammer" pin and colors on the back of the jacket I need to say no more. He tells us all they do is drink and smoke (weed) and drink and smoke and do drugs so they can stay awake continuously then they go burn things? I don't know what they burn and don't ask. This guy impaled a guy years ago with a pipe from a chain link fence in Sturgis and I don't know if the guy lived or not, never asked!! If I'm ever subpoenaed for a deposition I don't what to know anything! This would be one reason I would not go, if these guys get trashed and drive around causing trouble and crap forget it,, I want no part of that.. Fights, no part of it either.. This guy lives for this stuff and I just don't get it? I also do not tell him he is nuts either! I don't need to be a reason for another hammer Pin!
I understand this is probably only a very small percentage of people that cause trouble, and I suspect you can get caught up in something you may not what to be caught up in! For those of you that go for the races, scenery and shows, have a great time. I hope you stay safe, just watch out for people like I just described. I think if I were there and I saw him and his group, I would be just another obstruction in their eyes.. The have no fear at all. Not my style.
We (my wife and I) used to go to Laconia back when we were kids and we were accosted by a "group" with this one big guy stating "Nice Lady" to my wife and then started following us, my wife would not shut up to the guy telling him how F'n fat he was and he wouldn't stand a chance with her etc.!.. Ah,, Okay even though I was carrying I don't know that I would use it unless it came to that, luckily we were with others from our area so nothing happened but it could have and it would have been ugly. Damn good thing he didn't see I was driving a rice burner; 1981 Kawasaki LTD 1000!!.. I am not a little 85 pound weakling and was brought up tough, however, no match for a group or this big dude either! We never attended any more rallies, it was not worth it to me especially with my other half who thinks I can take anyone she wants to insult! I am a musician for Gods sake, Peace, love and tie-dye... I'll play in any bar and I will fight if I have to but I will avoid any trouble if at all possible.. I do miss the road bike and I just recently sold my XR 250. the last Sh*$$er I took last fall told me at 62 you cannot do this anymore! Especially getting up off the ground after doing a header over the handlebars and not hearing your friends off in the distance!!! Did I go to sleep? :dunno: Have fun biking people and please stay safe. I wont even get on a horse anymore as I have fallen off those things too! The wife always rode bareback, I never really could grasp how you hang on! That's what I get for being a Sturbridge city slicker!!!! :laugh:

Jeff Taylor,

I know some guys who are like you describe as they are members of the "Big Red Machine" (a.k.a. Hells Angels). Generally, unless you are with the Outlaws or Bandidos they will pretty much leave you alone. Once you jump into a Motorcycle club, you are generally committed long term. Many times I have been at various functions when guys who are MC members will arrive. I have never had any issues with any of the them. Treat them respectfully and generally they reciprocate. Act like you think your a bad ass and you will quickly learn that you aren't. Mouth off and you leave them no choice but to respond.

A few years ago when I was in the Buffalo Chip, at the Sturgis rally, a group of guys from California who were Hells Angels were in a motor coach next to mine. They were having generator problems and I had them plug their coach into my trailer's generator as my coach and trailer each had their own generators (coach 12K and trailer 8k). They were very grateful and insisted on buying me VIP tickets as an upgrade to one of the shows we were there to see (which cost them at least $300). We exchanged names and numbers and they invited me to come to the Fontana NASCAR race as they went every year and were always in the same spot. The issue that they were HAMC never really came up other than when they were telling me about how their entire coach was searched by LE twice on the trip to Sturgis. The guy who owned the coach was the owner of a small chain of tire stores and one of the guys was a lawyer.

I was at a site of a violent confrontation where the two groups opened up on each other with Shotguns at a campground in Deadwood a few years ago. But the problem had been brewing for quite some time and it was well known, even by those who were not part of either group, so it was easy to avoid the confrontation when it occurred. As is often the case, there were some who just had to be as close to the issue as possible which was not only foolish, but also resented by both sides.

It is possible to find trouble at these rallies if you look. I have been to Daytona and Sturgis and other major rallies a total of 15 times or more and the only real violence was at the shooting in Deadwood. Both major clubs own facilities in Sturgis and Daytona and there are some people who want to go to their specific bars or even try to get into their private clubhouses, which is just foolish just to say they have been there. It's kind of like avoiding the public housing projects in any major city, like Chicago. If you go as a tourist and want to experience the "local excitement", chances are your dreams or nightmares will be full filled. But most rational people avoid such issues as there is no sense seeking trouble, especially when it is around.

There are always trouble starters but most of the rallies have extensive law enforcement presence and those seeking trouble almost always end up being accommodated in jail. For those looking to go to a rally to enjoy the motorcycles and the entertainment, they will not be disappointed. One of my favorite parts of the rally's are the vendors with all of the latest and greatest in the industry. Seeing the new products and attending the concerts have always been my primary goals and objectives. I don't drink so I don't hang out in the bars but I have been in many to eat or whatever. Also, it's kind of like the bars, if you go at 7 pm you will see one crowd and if you are there at 3am, the group will be much more hard core and likely heavily intoxicated, which is likely to lead to trouble.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I went to my first Sturgis, SD rally in 2001. My father and I purchase our bikes the summer before. I was a tad nervous about riding with so many bikes. This being my first road bike and I went for a honker Road King. I was also a little curious about the biker culture. While I had the 'honor' of being in some horrendous bar clearing brawls, I wasn't sure I wanted anything to do with that action out there. Friendly fist to cuff is one thing. Chains, knifes, and hand guns are another.

I was talking to a lovely and pretty female office of the law shortly after dad I landed there the first day. I struck up a conversation. She was awesome. Like SulleyBear said, if you want trouble, you can get all you can handle. But for the most part, everyone kinda minds their own business. The gangs each have their own campgrounds and you may not even notice them because either they stay at the campgrounds or they take their colors off because most places will not allow them to be worn. She did tell us at all cost steer clear of the 'Sons of Silence'. She said they were bad news. I did see three of them ride into town one night. There was many cops, several large cops at that, in plain clothes on them before their kickstands hit the ground.

Dad and I had a blast. And no troubles. Meet tons of interesting people. Seen lots of things. Some I wish I never saw but that is they way it goes when folks completely let their hair down and live some fantasies.

isaac

1 - 20 of 20 Posts