Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Hubs traded our 3032R in and brought home a new 4052R with a cab. Yeah, don't ask how with a mini farm he talked me into that one. Anyhoo, the backup beep is outrageous. I'm not usually one to undo safety features. This thing is so loud though that I feel guilty throwing it in reverse even in the middle of the day! Figure someone can spare me fishing through manuals to tell me how to make it stop. My first instinct has something to do with a heavy hammer and lack of patience.:nunu:

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
At least it is not as loud as construction equipment. I can hear construction equipment beeping, but it was a year before I heard the beep on my 4066R cab. I happened to have the rear window open one time when backing up before I ever heard it. I think that possibly the rear beeper is required by law now.

Dave

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I'm sure you can locate it and give it the snip-snip, but if you wish to spend a few dollars they make back-up alarms that automatically adjust their decibels in balance with the background noise level. IOW if it is quiet, the beep is quiet, if the environment is loud, the beep becomes loud.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I simply couldn't take the beeper, nor the wife, daughter, and the dogs. On my open station 44R it was just above the rear axle on the left side. I just unplugged it and taped up both the alarm and the wire harness if I ever trade up for something bigger.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The back up alarm was also too loud for me as well, but I didn’t want to disconnect for the time in the winter when I clear driveways and parking lots. I had my dealer install a switch right near the 4wd engagement that turns the alarm off and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I work construction. They keep making the stupid beepers louder and louder. Think it’s because most of us get used to them and stop paying attention to them. A tractor, forklift or dozer is plenty loud enough as it is. If your not paying attention to what you’re doing and what’s going on around you a beeper isn’t going to stop you from stepping in harms way. But the safety police think they can fix everything with a beeper and flashing lights.

·
Registered
28,170 Posts
I’ve had plenty of experience with this working for the state. Every piece of equipment had them and you listened to them all day long. It was so much that you tended to ignore them after a while - opposite effect of what was intended.

We got a new dump truck one day that had the backup alarm way louder than normal. Up in the shop with it. Of course the mechanic couldn’t disconnect it so he did one better. He took a tube of silicone sealant - the stuff you use around windows and stuff - and started to fill the crevices in the alarm. Started with a little - tested it - and slowly got it to where we could live with it.

Nice thing about that is it is easily reversible if needed.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
my dozer, dump and backhoe "had" the backup alarms and believe me, I found the plug to those things immediately.. If you are working around a lot people or a guvment job, they are a must by law but if you are alone or with your own crew I would find that plug,, you can always go back to legal.. Not a lot of room for the hammer anyway!! They can be annoying for a one person gig.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I think they're probably making them louder since more people are burying their faces in a cell phone and wearing ear buds. Doing everything possible to protect those idiots from themselves.

I did a job in Mexican coil steel processing warehouse back in '06. They had several overhead cranes in operation. Instead of beeps or bells when the cranes were moving, each crane played a different song - like an ice cream truck. If "Crane 1" was moving, it played "Pop! Goes the Weasel!". Crane 2 played "Happy Birthday", etc. It was a long 10 days on that job!!

Reactions: tj1 and rtgt

·
Registered
626 Posts
I remember reading a few months ago about a study of these backup alarms. They said they were effective only when used in isolation like on a farm. On a construction site, they had 0 safety effect since you heard them so often, you would tune them out.

Personally I’d make the dealer point me to the buzzer before they left from delivering my new tractor, so I could disconnect it. Tractors are already loud enough as is, I don’t want more noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tj1

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts
I remember reading a few months ago about a study of these backup alarms. They said they were effective only when used in isolation like on a farm. On a construction site, they had 0 safety effect since you heard them so often, you would tune them out.
I seem to recall reading that there was an initiative to move to White Noise backup alarms instead of the annoying BEEP BEEP kind. Here are just two videos that I found on the subject.

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts
I’ve had plenty of experience with this working for the state. Every piece of equipment had them and you listened to them all day long. It was so much that you tended to ignore them after a while - opposite effect of what was intended.
After a recent pedestrian accident someone suggested that all cars and trucks should have backup alarms. I said, can you imagine what a Walmart parking lot would sound like? :)

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
I compromised. On my gator I put silicone on the holes on the beeper. You can still hear it but at least the neighbors can’t.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
i dont know about your specfic tractor ......but retired a lot of construction equipment to the farm.....and i just go find the beeper horn and disconnect one wire wrap it and all is good ...easy to reconnect should i ever take the equipment off site....used to be the OSHA fine for not having a working backup beeper on a workplace jobsite was catastrophic i wonder if OSHA guys ever look at companies like TTWT that publish evidence of no beeper...

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
What I like about the silicone was that I had two young boys and my wife using it and at least if we were hooking up something or working behind it there was a warning but it was not obnoxious.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
i dont know about your specfic tractor ......but retired a lot of construction equipment to the farm.....and i just go find the beeper horn and disconnect one wire wrap it and all is good ...easy to reconnect should i ever take the equipment off site....used to be the OSHA fine for not having a working backup beeper on a workplace jobsite was catastrophic i wonder if OSHA guys ever look at companies like TTWT that publish evidence of no beeper...
Hey now! Stop asking such questions! :)

·
Premium Member
14,503 Posts
Our work vehicles had backup alarms. When I lived in Vegas, I tried to back into the driveway in the evening so that I could pull out of the drive if I had a late service call or early departure time. Some of the HOA's there got snotty about vehicles with alarms and some of the guys had issues.

My boss's office had a front window and every time I parked at the office I tried to park in front of his office. I'd back in real slow....... One day he mentioned that I should pull in because the backup alarm was annoying. I suggested that there were a lot more people that found it annoying, but since you're the boss, maybe you could do something about it.

This is the same guy that gave one of the mechanics a written warning when they found his backup alarm had "come unplugged". The mechanic was one of those with HOA issues.....

JLG's, etc all have these and on a job site it can be really loud, especially in an big encloused but otherwise empty building with nothing to absorb the sound. They are loud enough that by other OSHA rules, you need hearing protection. I used a lot of foam ear plugs over the years.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Duct tape is your friend

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.