Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
( Pardon me if I should have posted this on the last page of the "50 Hour Service" sticky, I didn't want it to be buried in the end of 31 pages of the thread!)

So I call my local JD dealer to arrange a pickup of my 1025R for the 50 Hour Service. I was loosely quoted a price of "around $700"

WOW. Stunned, I ask and he says the initial service is expensive. WOW again.

Having owned smaller J.D. garden tractors and having done the maintenance myself, I really don't have a reference point regarding a fair price. I would do it myself but don't have the time at the moment. I see some of you have paid as little as $200 for this service. Can someone offer some guidance on this before I pay for my service?

Some facts: The 1025r is halfway through its warranty period, I bought it used with 44 hours on it. My intuition is screaming "ripoff!" but I'd like some input regarding what others have paid for theirs.

Thanks!

Bill L.

·
Premium Member
14,104 Posts
What exactly does their service include?
My thought also,,, When I did mine, I changed the trans fluid, filter,cleaned transmission screen ,did chg little fuel filter under left side of floor board....nothing else. Pretty sure that is all the manual lists for 50 hr service. Yea , check wheel studs , check other nuts and bolts for tightness. Grease the fittings, some same to change the oil others say wait till 100hrs. Guessing they must be charging you around $300-400 for pickup and delivery.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
What exactly does their service include?
Hopefully a "rub and tug" for that price.r:good2:

How much does the dealer charge for pickup and how far are you from the dealer?

·
Registered
21,457 Posts
The service is the standard 50 JD service plus oil change, filters ( air and oil ) grease everything,
pickup and delivery. (20 miles one way)

Bill L.
50 hour service should include the important hydro transmission oil and filter change.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree with Scotty. That is insane. What are we talking?? 2 hours labor and less than $150 in filters and fluids? Before I sold my 2320, my dealer quoted about $300 for them to come
to my house and do the 50 hour service.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It would be interesting for them to give you a written estimate on what was going to be done... Maybe it comes with a buff and wax etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the plan for tomorrow's call to the dealer. I'm going to ask them to fax me over an invoice detailing the parts and labor. That's what I get for getting shocked into stupid town when I heard the guestimate.

Bill L.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
That's the plan for tomorrow's call to the dealer. I'm going to ask them to fax me over an invoice detailing the parts and labor. That's what I get for getting shocked into stupid town when I heard the guestimate.

Bill L.
If anything you can get a good chuckle out of it! And hold off until you have time and DIY, let us know how it it turns out, we may need a good laugh ourselves :)

Greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If anything you can get a good chuckle out of it! And hold off until you have time and DIY, let us know how it it turns out, we may need a good laugh ourselves :)

Greg

Normally, I'd do it myself but I have a big renovation going on here and don't want to have Thanksgiving on a pallet of drywall...been there....

I'm into that. If they do send me the quote, I'll share it with the group..... Stay tuned!

Bill L.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Before I would spend $700 for so little I would consider skipping the service and applying that money towards a trade in before that one is out of warranty.

For me, when the repair costs reach a certain percentage of retail value I start thinking about trading in, keeping in mind that repair costs will increase in the future while retail value will continue to drop. Make a business decision.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I got a similar quote of $300 and my dealer would pick it up, and drop it off. I still did it myself cause I squeak when I walk, and can pick a boogie from Lincoln's nose on a penny.
At $700, I would hope that when you get your tractor back home, you could open your "rear mounted" toolbox and find that they had kindly deposited $450 in cash back into your toolbox as a surprise.....:yahoo:

Tonton, make sure that you don't let your fingernails get too long for that "Lincoln digging work"....:lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The service is the standard 50 JD service plus oil change, filters ( air and oil ) grease everything,
pickup and delivery. (20 miles one way)

Bill L.
They shouldn't be changing the engine oil at 50 hours. The transmission oil yes. I was quoted $175 for the service and $50 for pickup and delivery. Then the parts guy realized the 1025r held 3.25 gallons of transmission fluid and said he didn't realize those little tractors had that much oil in them. Because of that price would be higher, but didn't know for sure how much. I bought the oil at 16.85/gallon and the filter for 23.75 and did it myself, with the assistance of several GTT members who are on GTT while at work it appears.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try calling Farmington Valley John. Deere in CT. They did my 50 hr service at my home and was much less than 700. The mobile tech was excellent, I met them at a trade show in Hartford.. I did not buy my tractor from the as well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
For $675 I'll fly out and do it. Let the bidding war begin.:lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts