Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dealer to put a new 1025r package together. Ordered 1025r, 120r loader, rt3049 tiller, 60d MMM LED work lights kit, 72lb rear wheel weights. Etc. Everything involved around 24 grand. Then they tell me they want 5hrs of labor to set it up. Is this normal. Honestly first time buying scut. Also got load n go. I want all these things set up properly but don't feel that on 24,000 worth of stuff i should pay $360 extra. Am I out of line?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
They will have to attach the mower deck lift mechanism. They will also measure and cut PTO shafts on implements if needed and fill gearboxes on those. The wheel weights will have to be mounted. Light kits probably take an hour to route through the inside of the rops. 5 hours doesn't sound like a lot for all that really.

You may be able to ask for those things to not be setup and do it yourself but its probably worth it to just get on the machine and use it as soon as its delivered.

·
Registered
935 Posts
My dealer never mentioned setup labor charges, I ordered a package deal and that is what I got. They even threw in the service and parts Manual just before I signed on the dotted line. I ask after we settled on the final price.

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
Normal? Depends on your definition of normal I guess. It isn't unheard of. Some dealers charge for setup, some don't. IMO, most dealers won't change any setup fees on new complete packages. But there is a question as to whether that means they just asked a higher price for the equipment and built the setup fees into that. Would it be a better package of they charged you $360 more for the equipment and didn't have a setup fee?

A small percentage of dealers do. When Deere changed their pricing model a year or so ago, more dealers started charging for it as a line item.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My dealer did not charge a setup fee, but the discount on parts with labor intensive installations was less. The overall discount off of list was about 15%, but I noticed the prices charged for the hydraulic BH thumb and the third SCV were not discounted. Overall I was pleased with the price and the dealer was pleased with having made the sale. That is perfection. On top of it all he did not charge for the service parts, including five gallons of HyGard and a set of filters for my other JD diesel. I had asked to have those items included in the overall sales price to avoid the out of state sales tax but did not expect them for nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I think it varies dealer to dealer item to item.
I have seen it several times on items that I option to have add to a machine they already have in stock.
I wanted LED lights, extra LED lights, extra hydraulics, on my 2025R and same thing on my latest machine the 5115M.
All were charged on the invoice for parts and labor. Now sometimes the labor on one item gets waived since they are already in there and charged on the adding of another item, they are normally pretty good about not charging if there really wasn't any extra labor involved. That's why I have learned it saves in the long run to have everything I may need all added at once and factored into the total deal, you can save on labor, as well as get the special finance rates on those things that would be out of pocket and in some cases double up the labor if added at different times.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have purchased 3 complete Deere tractor setups over the last 10+ years. Most recently a 2020 Deere 2032R with loader, MM Mower, plow, quick hitch and various other items. After significant negotiation, we agreed on an out the door price and that was the deal. No hidden extra charges. No discussion about setup labor. The final quote sheet listed all the equipment and parts and they broke out setup and freight. I did see these numbers, but it did not affect my agreed to out the door price. It looks like my dealer accounted for all costs in the paperwork. My final invoice has no mention of labor.

·
Premium Member
12,711 Posts
I think how the deal is negotiated determines if there is a LINE ITEM labor / set up charge. In truth, the labor cost is there for all of the dealers either in a smaller discount or as a line item charge. Personally, I would rather have it disclosed so I know exactly what I am paying for each item.

Where the set up charge or labor is abused is when you see a labor / set up charge for a Box Blade, or Rear Blade or Landscape Rake or any other "Hook and go" implement which arrives at the dealer ship banded to a pallet ready to use once the straps are cut. In fact, many of those implements are delivered to the client on those pallets so the dealer does nothing but load and unload the pallet loaded implement. Personally, I wouldn't pay any set up charges on items which don't require any set up or dealership labor.

Whether an invoice shows the labor charge or not, you can be assured you are paying for the labor one way or another. I think the wise move is to show the labor charge as it defines the item price clearly. If you find them charging labor for items which don't require any, challenge that. You can always negotiate on everything. On the other hand, if I were a dealer with this type of demand for machines, I wouldn't sell items on which I didn't make a reasonable profit. What's reasonable? That's what negotiations determine.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
My sale included a $150 setup charge. However, the discount was steep and the sale included installation of my 3rd SCV, changing the tires to Versaturfs which were not available through Deere at the time, build and test of all attachments including deck, then delivery to my house 40 miles from dealer. Everything has been near perfect and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Reactions: Aaron wants a 1025r

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you looking at the package as a whole? My quote from my dealer had setup as a line item for the attachments that needed to be setup and a customer discount, then there was a price for attachment. That is the number I looked at to determine if it was a fair price, and this is the price that was on the purchase order I signed to buy the package. I do not have a problem with paying for setup if needed, or it being wrapped up in the cost of the attachment, as long the final cost of the attachment, tractor, and finally the package is reasonable and fair. Unless they were trying to sneak it in at the end, after the detailed quote, I look at it as part of the cast of the attachment or what ever needs to be set up, unless you tell them you will set it up yourself. Not sure if something changed between the quote and the purchase order, and if it did then yes, you should call them on that, if not, it's just the cost of the attachment and needs to be fair to both parties.

And I'm still waiting on mine, it's in the shop being put together.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Premium Member
12,711 Posts
One thing is certain, the $360 is a small price to pay to have things set up correctly so they work properly. If you don't feel you should pay it, say so to the dealer. Maybe they will work with you on it.

Or if you would rather do the set up yourself, that's likely an option as well. When the mower deck isn't set up properly, it sure gives the owners a lot of fits, far more than $360 worth, that's for sure.

I do know that I wouldn't allow $360, which is 1.5% of the total transaction to ruin the purchase transaction so you end up feeling you weren't treated fairly or squarely. Talk to the dealer about it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It depends on how the dealer wishes to price their product and services, how the salesperson is paid, various incentives from Mother Deere, how much they want the revenue now instead of next month... When all is said and done, no matter how the quote reads, nothing is truly "free".

For example some dealers will admonish a sales rep for not charging a particular a fee...say for example a "set up fee". I've had sales reps drop an item's price the same dollar amount as a fee. They made me feel better about the fee, and they kept their boss happy because he/she got their fee! These fees are often an emotional objection that often can be overcome. Sales people can be very creative folks. :)

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I agree with Sulley. Well worth it.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Four things,
1. yes, it is a little irratating
2. As others have said, you will probably be paying it one way or another. Hidden or declared
3. If they charge you and list it as such you have something in writing if somethings is wrong with the setup.
4. 5 hrs for $360 is pretty reasonable in my area.
I would pay it. If you are a do it yourself guy ask for the tech and parts manual to be thrown in.

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Mine had fees for the options to be installed. I sell manufacturing equipment and while the base product has no install fee's optional equipment does. There is a real cost so there is a charge. Of course I could not show the line item and just increase the price of the optional equipment or just not discount as much. Any of the 3 ways has the same outcome and any of the 3 ways has people who would like it a different way. The salesman just has to pick a plan and go with it, I add it because it makes it easier for she who will be called "Erin" to understand which place or department money goes too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Depending on attachments and ad ons, setup times vary, so dealers need to cover that time techs are using to setup equipment vs times those techs can be using for services and repairs. Some add ons and attachment can take a good bit of time to install and adjust, 3rd functions, scv's, mmm, etc.

·
Registered
177 Posts
As many have said here set up is in the price in some form and I accept that. I wish that many of the items that we pay for later could be included in the build at the factory. If I want the LED light upgrade. it just seems pretty easy to install those when the tractor is going down the assembly line. But the dealer has to pay someone to install these. What I hate is when these type of charges show up at the last minute. When discussing the purchase price the dealer is clear that there is a fee for accessories and attachment installation then I can either accept or perhaps try another dealer. I have that option.

Generally I find that the Deere dealers I work with are pretty open about what the final cost is going to be. Now in powersports, like atvs, utvs, snowmobiles, etc, you have to be careful and ask the questions. My Polaris dealer (also a Deere dealer) is great. His price that he quotes is the final price in fact he writes it with sales tax and the DNR license fees included so there is no question on the check I have to write. And there are no "document fees" which is apparently what they pay a clerical employee to get my signature and the license application and mail to the license bureau.

A few weeks ago I went looking for a new utv and stopped by the local Can Am dealer to talk about the commander utv. The price he quoted was the suggest retail price (no discount) plus $700 freight and setup, plus $135 document fee and of course the sales tax and license fees. But it was only after I asked him if that was the total did I find out about the document fee.

We all pay for this stuff in the final price. I say just include these fees so that I can compare it to the price I get from another dealer.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts