Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 50 hour service completed last fall at the dealer on my 1025R which included a hydraulic fluid change. I did not use the tractor much over the winter, some firewood hauling and road grading, but now that summer is here I have mowed the grass at least 3 or 4 times. I decided to give the tractor a good cleaning and as I was blowing off the dust before washing, I discovered the following under my seat:
Inked20170610_105654_LI.jpg

The yellow arrow is pointing to where I found my oil fill screw cap and the blue arrow is where it should have been. Notice all the dust around the hole? Obviously when the technician finished the maintenance, he forgot to replace the cap and it has been sitting under my seat for more than 6 months with the reservoir open to the environment. I know there would not have been any water contamination as I store the tractor in the garage, but I suspect some amount of dust or dirt has managed to get in. I pulled the dipstick and the oil was still clear and bright (Navy terms), so the filters are obviously doing their job.

Besides showing this photo to the service manager, should I be concerned about any long term issues? Does it warrant a fluid change? I'm at about 86 hours at the moment. I'm kicking myself for not noticing, but with the seat down, it was not apparent. I suppose at a minimum I could pull and clean the oil pump suction screen and replace the transmission filter.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had a 50 hour service completed last fall at the dealer on my 1025R which included a hydraulic fluid change. I did not use the tractor much over the winter, some firewood hauling and road grading, but now that summer is here I have mowed the grass at least 3 or 4 times. I decided to give the tractor a good cleaning and as I was blowing off the dust before washing, I discovered the following under my seat:
View attachment 386914

The yellow arrow is pointing to where I found my oil fill screw cap and the blue arrow is where it should have been. Notice all the dust around the hole? Obviously when the technician finished the maintenance, he forgot to replace the cap and it has been sitting under my seat for more than 6 months with the reservoir open to the environment. I know there would not have been any water contamination as I store the tractor in the garage, but I suspect some amount of dust or dirt has managed to get in. I pulled the dipstick and the oil was still clear and bright (Navy terms), so the filters are obviously doing their job.

Besides showing this photo to the service manager, should I be concerned about any long term issues? Does it warrant a fluid change? I'm at about 86 hours at the moment. I'm kicking myself for not noticing, but with the seat down, it was not apparent. I suppose at a minimum I could pull and clean the oil pump suction screen and replace the transmission filter.

Thoughts?
Your probably okay. If you worried about it do a filter change and go on. If you store inside and don't run it much. Maybe some dirt got in. If anything change filters or just dump and fill fluid. Put clean low-vis in and press on bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Tell manager

I would certainly tell the service manager, ask what you should do and see what his response is. I think you are ok but a good service manager will apologize profusely and offer to change out the fluid and filter. A great one would offer to change and pick up and deliver free.

At the least, they should give you the fluid and filter for you to do the work.

The issue is that it's just your word that you didn't do it yourself and try to scam them out of free service. I'm not saying you would but I'm sure it happens.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
524 Posts
Exactly what treefarmer said. We had a tech do this on a 3038e and we went and picked it up and did a full service for free and wash and clean as good as we could and took back to him. He was upset but we made it right and no harm was done. Now they have to win back your trust and respect. Put the ball in their court and see what they say. Don't hold back tell them how you feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments so far. I will definitely stop and show the service manager the photo and see what his response will be. I won't be by there for a couple weeks, but it has waited this long, a few more days won't hurt.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Thanks for the comments so far. I will definitely stop and show the service manager the photo and see what his response will be. I won't be by there for a couple weeks, but it has waited this long, a few more days won't hurt.
Don't procrastinate. Call them to mention what happened. You can always email or text them the pictures. Waiting longer to notify them won't help your position.

Another note. Any time you have a warranty problem notify the dealer as soon as you find it. Then follow the dealerships instructions to the letter. Such as stop using the piece of equipment until it is inspected or fixed. Sometimes continuing to use it will cause further damage.

Also the day you call should be recorded as your "problem" date. This is especially important if your warranty is close to expiring. For instance. Your warranty is set to expire in one week. However the dealership won't be able to look at or fix your tractor for 2-3 weeks. This way the dealer will still be able to get your repair cover.

Back in 2007 I worked for a H-D dealer. A customer stopped in over the winter. He came by the service counter to mention a problem that his 2005 bike was having. Said it started running bad towards the end of the season. Then eventually it wouldn't run at all. He mentioned waiting until spring to bring it in. I gave him the same advice. Turns out the engine had bad valve guide seals. It was burning so much oil that the plugs looked like a Hershey's Kiss. Turns out he only had another 2 weeks of warranty left. If he would have waited until spring it would not have been covered.

I would agree that the missing cap should not have hurt anything.

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
This stuff happens. Places like Deere are super busy right now and rushed.

Just like now I have my truck serviced at the Ford garage. I always check under the hood before I leave just in case something like this happens.

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
6 months? Wow. I'm going to go against what the others have said. Sure, it's the dealer's fault when it happened. But at 6 months without a visual inspection of your machine, I'd have to own that one as my mistake. The manual clearly states to do a visual inspection before every use.

Let's put it this way, had this happened on a jobsite and you were the superintendent, your service mechanic did this but it was your operator who's required to inspect the equipment daily only notices this after 6 months, who would you hold at fault? IMHO, they both do. But the operator should have caught this on day one.

I'd still go to them, but if they don't offer anything, I'd still have to be OK with that and carry on. Mistakes and blunders happen. That's just part of life.

Don't let my opinion hurt your feelings either. It's just my opinion. :drinks:

·
Super Moderator
8,152 Posts
6 months? Wow. I'm going to go against what the others have said. Sure, it's the dealer's fault when it happened. But at 6 months without a visual inspection of your machine, I'd have to own that one as my mistake. The manual clearly states to do a visual inspection before every use.

Let's put it this way, had this happened on a jobsite and you were the superintendent, your service mechanic did this but it was your operator who's required to inspect the equipment daily only notices this after 6 months, who would you hold at fault? IMHO, they both do. But the operator should have caught this on day one.

I'd still go to them, but if they don't offer anything, I'd still have to be OK with that and carry on. Mistakes and blunders happen. That's just part of life.

Shared responsibility. Kumbaya:hi:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,522 Posts
A lesson is learned here.

When service, or repair is done on anything, inspecting it afterward is always necessary. If this were noticed after the service was done, we would not be discussing it now.
Jason is correct in his statements. The operator, in this case you, should also have done a pre-use inspection.

Show the pics, and discuss this with the service manager. Let the dealership take the reins, and go from there.

·
Premium Member
12,770 Posts
A lesson is learned here.

When service, or repair is done on anything, inspecting it afterward is always necessary. If this were noticed after the service was done, we would not be discussing it now.
Unfortunately this needs to be standard procedure whenever someone else services ANYTHING you own... car, truck, tractor, boat, house, etc. Especially these days when folks who care seem to be few and far between.

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
Unfortunately this needs to be standard procedure whenever someone else services ANYTHING you own... car, truck, tractor, boat, house, etc. Especially these days when folks who care seem to be few and far between.
While I agree with you, I do for a different reason. You should absolutely inspect everything. Not because people don't care, but because people make mistakes. I care. I make mistakes. I had to re-split a tractor, twice, with you guys watching, because I made a mistake. It happens. I don't assume people don't care. I assume they care until proven otherwise. Maybe I'm flawed? :unknown: :lol:

I was an aircraft mechanic for many years. I had a pilot one time just close the cowlings after I had inspected his helicopter. He was doing his preflight and didn't look at anything. I asked him why. He said he trusted me. While that was a compliment, I told him that I can make a mistake, one that could potentially be lethal. I told him to look behind me like I was trying to kill him. Not because I was being an a$$... but because I do care.

Mechanics nowadays are being rushed. Most are being paid "by the book." If they are slow, they don't make as much money. If they are fast, they make more. The system is flawed to make them make mistakes. Please don't blame a good mechanic for being human. We all are. A great mechanic will learn from his mistakes and OWN them.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I would kindly ask for a fluid and filter change, it's probably fine but there could certainly have been some things that got in there, probably some oil-soaked spiders in the pan.

Echoing Dieselshadow, everyone should be in the habit of routine visual inspections, it's the only way to catch broken components, leaks, loose or missing bolts, etc before something breaks.

Reactions: Levi

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts

I agree with Diesel here except for the carry on part. I would definitely change the hyd. oil and filter and clean the screen filter. I blow off my tractor up to 4 times while mowing and with the dirt you show in the pic you got dirt and grass in your transmission oil. I always have dirt and grass around the fill cap when I blow my tractor off. You might even have a small rock get in there. I wouldn't take the chance. Change it!

·
Administrator
20,896 Posts
I agree with Diesel here except for the carry on part. I would definitely change the hyd. oil and filter and clean the screen filter. I blow off my tractor up to 4 times while mowing and with the dirt you show in the pic you got dirt and grass in your transmission oil. I always have dirt and grass around the fill cap when I blow my tractor off. You might even have a small rock get in there. I wouldn't take the chance. Change it!
I agree. Oil is cheap, repairs are not.

I meant carry on with doing things myself regardless of dealer assistance , not ignoring anything. :good2:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
View attachment 386914

Thoughts?
What I do not get is there is all that dust where the cap shoulda been, yet nothing in the threads in fill hole and the bottom of the cap and it's threads. They have to be a little oily and should have picked up some dust. You sure somebody is not playing a practical joke on ya?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, I'm already kicking myself on not catching this one earlier. The funny thing is, I did check the dipstick a few weeks ago, level was great, but I rarely lift the seat, and since I have not actually done that service myself - I will in the future, did not notice anything amiss.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What I do not get is there is all that dust where the cap shoulda been, yet nothing in the threads in fill hole and the bottom of the cap and it's threads. They have to be a little oily and should have picked up some dust. You sure somebody is not playing a practical joke on ya?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
That's because I discovered it and started to replace the cap, when I decided to document with a photo. I'm sure there was dust on the threads before I started screwing the cap back on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts