Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice guys, I have 20hrs before the $500 special offer ends.... I thought I had everything figured out when I walked into my dealer's this afternoon and had him start the final quote for an X590 with a power flow 3 bagger 14bu and a cart (leaning towards steel 18S but he's suggesting the poly 17p). I reminded him that my intentions are to mow my 1/3 acre which has improper grading and water settling issues, hauling topsoil, mulch, and firewood. My pickup does not fit between my house/flower bed and my fence otherwise I wouldn't be leaning towards a x5 series. I will be buying a new home in the 6-12 months on 2-5 acres. In the mean time I won't be doing much ground engagement other than basic yard work and grading and a brick patio. My snow needs are handled with a Ariens Platinum EFI 24" snowblower.

The dealer thought it would be a good idea to run a quote for a X738 since it is more capable, AWD, and wouldn't cost me 4.9% in interest, in essence putting that interest back into the cost of the tractor. The X738 + the "free" 54 HC deck, the 3 bagger power flow and the cart would be $5 less per month. (We all know free doesn't exist LOL ) This will be in their shop in the next day or two, bagger is 2 weeks out.

At that point I told him to quote me for the X758 with the diesel...I couldn't get a diesel pickup might as well look at diesel mowers ;) The quote came back as $24 more than the X590. This would be a special order just like the bagger, so 2 weeks out.

X590 with the 3 bagger and cart was going to run me $230mo for 48mo
X738 with the 3 bagger and cart will run me $225mo for 60mo
X758 with the 3 bagger and cart will run me $246mo for 60mo

Am I crazy for considering the X7 series? Say I'm not crazy for considering the X738...am I crazy for saying the X758 sounds enticing?

My fiancé is pretty much onboard with whatever I decide since it's my checkbook :bigthumb::laugh:

Reactions: TJR345

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hiya,

I'm of the same mind as Blake, go for the 1 series if you are getting the land. Have the dealer put a price together with a loader, mid mower and MCS.

If you don't get the bigger place, get the x758, nothing beats a Diesel for mowing.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'd go 738 just because of your slopes and bogs. Plus it's less than you planned to spend. Full time AWD is your biggest advantage. It can turn sharp without locking and unlocking regular 4WD.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the 1 series is a little too rich for my blood at this time and will be extremely underutilized. I've more or less told the finance that I rather have a capable tractor for yard work at this house and the next. Should I find myself in a situation where it's time to add a bucket then I'd add a 2 series sorta like her father has (his is orange).

At this time I would not be adding the front/rear PTO or the 3pt to the x7 as I don't have any attachments.

Is the maintenance on the diesel any more of a hassle? Due to my lower consumption will I have to worry about the diesel going bad like standard fuel?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd go 738 just because of your slopes and bogs. Plus it's less than you planned to spend. Full time AWD is your biggest advantage. It can turn sharp without locking and unlocking regular 4WD.
H-D dealer, any concerns over center of gravity on say 12deg slopes or do I have to hit those vertically instead of laterally? How planted is this 1100lbs beast?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
I vote for the 1025R. I worked mine hard yesterday and only used 1/4 tank of fuel. These thing are very cheap to run. with 0 percent and attachment rebates you only live once. if you don't want the one series get the diesl. :good2::good2:

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I vote for the 1025R. I worked mine hard yesterday and only used 1/4 tank of fuel. These thing are very cheap to run. with 0 percent and attachment rebates you only live once. if you don't want the one series get the diesl. :good2::good2:
I think that's a little past the size that I can fit around my property. As it is my shed isn't large enough for the x5 series with the bagger or even the deck attached. I will be ejecting the fiancé's Cruze from our garage which has a 6' tall garage door. I will try to convert my shed over to a different style door setup to accommodate the new toy.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hiya,

Sounds to me you have already pretty much decided on the X758..... now go get it. :good2:

I would go with the Diesel over gasoline powered any day, much less seasonal hassle. Just put a trickle charger on the battery and wait till the grass grows in the spring, fire it up and get back to mowing. With today's gas, you either have to run a gas unit weekly or drain and properly winterize it.

When you buy the land and find you need a bigger tractor, mark my words, you will figure this out once you get more property, we all have, the Diesel X758 will be worth more when you trade it in on a 1 or 2 series... ;-)

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you buy the land and find you need a bigger tractor, mark my words, you will figure this out once you get more property, we all have, the Diesel X758 will be worth more when you trade it in on a 1 or 2 series... ;-)

This is precisely what I'm hoping for LOL I was leaning towards the X590 since I'd be saving cash and hopefully still getting a 1-3 series. We all can dream right? :)

Waiting 2 weeks for delivery will be brutal!

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
I think that's a little past the size that I can fit around my property. As it is my shed isn't large enough for the x5 series with the bagger or even the deck attached. I will be ejecting the fiancé's Cruze from our garage which has a 6' tall garage door. I will try to convert my shed over to a different style door setup to accommodate the new toy.
Has far has ejecting your fiancé's Cruze out of the garage, I have two 24x24 and don't park in either one. If she is a keeper she will understand if not you are better to find out now. :lolol:

·
Corndog Hater
11,773 Posts
I agree with what has been said in previous posts. I also think you have this somewhat figured out for yourself. Firstly, I wouldn't consider the X590 at this point. Secondly, if you don't see loader work in the immediate future or you have easy access to one, and mowing is the primary task for the foreseeable future, skip the 1 series. So that leaves X738 vs. X758. If you can afford the diesel, get it. Aren't you glad I came along and decided it for you?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
H-D dealer, any concerns over center of gravity on say 12deg slopes or do I have to hit those vertically instead of laterally? How planted is this 1100lbs beast?

Either one should side hill that slope better than a 1 series. It's always better and safer to drive up and down vs side to side.

No matter what size or shape yard you are cutting inevitably you have to turn the tractor around. Like a 180 degree turn or a K turn. Then how many times is this going to happen at the top, middle or bottom of a hill? How many times will the turf be wet or muddy? Doing this with standard 4WD is going to rip up the grass and mud way more then the 700's AWD. Plus not having to decide when to shift it in or out. Let alone the time it wil save on all that shifting. With a 1 series. If you turn in rear wheel drive only you are less likely to scuff the turf. However if it's soft or a low traction situation spinning a tire will do it for sure. So then you shift into 4WD. Then all 4 tires must slip a little too compensate for the tight turn. Thus causing the tires to scuff the turf anyway. If that makes any sense. lol

Although I love my X540 and it climbs like a billy goat with the diff lock. I'd trade it for a X728-748 in a second. Just to get the AWD. AWD and a diff lock will climb even better. Plus you are not married to chains for winter time work.
With your hills and wet areas I'd rule out the X5xx tractors. This is how I ended up with my tractor. A customer bought it and had traction problems in his driveway. So he traded it back in with 4 hours for a 1 series.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Has far has ejecting your fiancé's Cruze out of the garage, I have two 24x24 and don't park in either one. If she is a keeper she will understand if not you are better to find out now. :lolol:

Well it's good you 2 got that straightened out already. lol

As far as gas vs diesel it's 6 of one and a 1/2 dozen of another.
Diesel is more expensive to buy and to maintain. However they will use less fuel and should last longer then a gas engine. Better low end torque.

Gas is cheeper to buy and maintain. However it will use more fuel and not last as long. (Hours and years) Still have enough power to get the job done. Easier to start in the cold weather. Not as heavy.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with what has been said in previous posts. I also think you have this somewhat figured out for yourself. Firstly, I wouldn't consider the X590 at this point. Secondly, if you don't see loader work in the immediate future or you have easy access to one, and mowing is the primary task for the foreseeable future, skip the 1 series. So that leaves X738 vs. X758. If you can afford the diesel, get it. Aren't you glad I came along and decided it for you?

Thank you Colony we are on the same page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
The 758 is a grass cutting monster. That would be my choice. The more grass I cut the happier I get. If you end up with a long driveway one time with a blower and the Ariens will be out front with a for sale sign on it. I can do 1000ft of drive with 8 inches of snow on it in 45 minutes.
Ron

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it's good you 2 got that straightened out already. lol

As far as gas vs diesel it's 6 of one and a 1/2 dozen of another.
Diesel is more expensive to buy and to maintain. However they will use less fuel and should last longer then a gas engine. Better low end torque.

Gas is cheeper to buy and maintain. However it will use more fuel and not last as long. (Hours and years) Still have enough power to get the job done. Easier to start in the cold weather. Not as heavy.
Two 24x24 and you don't park in either?!

Diesel is More to maintain even though it doesn't need DEF? Even with EFI it won't start as nicely as a gas unit in the cold?

Hmm maybe the gas jobber is the best option. EFI was a prerequisite due to ease of use. I already have cans for my blower and a gas truck no cummins :(

Reactions: tj1 and BigJim55

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I have both in the older models,345 and x595. I have 2.5 acres and for years used the 345 to mow.I got the x595 at a great price and and have added to it over the years. You can do what you plan on doing with the x590.Now with that said the x7xx series will handle the job and then some.The 4wd is great and the diesel sips fuel and all kinds of power.The x758 and the 1 series have the same diesel so you can see that it's more than powerful enough to do what you want.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish I could find a dealer in CT that had a 758 and a 738 in stock so I could see, hear and feel them both. Right now I'm going in blind and I hate it. I'll try to make some calls tomorrow and see if I can get lucky.

Do the x7's fall under that JD satisfaction plan? What does the fine print say for that?

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 20 of 66 Posts