Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called my dealer store to get price on Versa turfs for my 1025. Their price is $600. The price to switch tires is $75.00 per tire. I said are you kidding me. He explained that the rims can’t be done on a tire machine and they do them by hand. Does this sound right ? I’ve been happy with them in every other way. Would a regular tire shop like mavis or others do this?

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
I had 2 tires mounted on Deere rims at a local commercial truck tire shop. They charged me $10/tire.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
My brother needed new inner tubes installed in the rear turf tires on his Ford 1210. None of the local tractor dealers wanted to do it and one gave him a crazy “we cant be bothered“ price. He finally found an AG tire shop that only charged $10 per tire. They even unloaded and reloaded them in his truck for him.

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
I paid under $500 for the entire set of Versa Turfs delivered to my house. I bought mine at SimpleTire.com. You will get a special credit for your first order. Search by the tire size and then the brand and they carry the tires for the 1025r, 1023e and 1026r.

I paid a total of $65 to mount and dismount 4 tires. I tipped the tire guy on top of that as he did a great job and I happen to know his fiance.

$75 per tire to swap the tires, Yikes................I paid about $16 per tire........

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
By the way, SimpleTire.com has a list of recommended tire installers who work with them in your area.....

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Called my dealer store to get price on Versa turfs for my 1025. Their price is $600. The price to switch tires is $75.00 per tire. I said are you kidding me. He explained that the rims can’t be done on a tire machine and they do them by hand. Does this sound right ? I’ve been happy with them in every other way. Would a regular tire shop like mavis or others do this?
You are right, that is crazy. I have sold tires for years. Mine and and most rim clamp tire machines now days will work down to 12" wheel, so the rears can be done on a machine. The fronts probably need to be done by hand. The front beads can still be broken down on the machine. maybe an hour for all four if they are off the tractor and not filled. If they are filled different story, I have never done filled tires. If your tactor has some age on it have them pop in new valve stems also. Should be able to get them all changed for $60-80 with new stems. If not filled with fluid. And yes any tire shop should be able to handle this. A small private auto garage would be a place to ask also

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had 2 tires mounted on Deere rims at a local commercial truck tire shop. They charged me $10/tire.
Recommend you do this. My local Mr. Tire was able to put a tube in one of the rear tires on my 4200 in just a few minutes with a tire machine. The sales person expressed concern it would be too big for the machine; it barely fit and they were done in 15 minutes. I think it was $15.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
My shop charged me $0. I guess when you go to the same place for all your tires, there are benefits!

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Firemark: Think you are getting poor into....the most work on these wheels and tires are getting off tractor into truck then back off truck onto tractor. All dealers have tools that make the change of tires an after thought....I would consider adding fluid on the change and you might want the commercial or industrial type stems installed....

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Firemark, Sounds like a money-maker... for you! Tell your dealer you'll change all their tires for $50. Go to local shop, pay $10 or $20 per tire and walk away with $40-$50 to drive around! Bob

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Here's the approach....they ask $75 for change of tire....only 4-5 out of 10 people bite on this which is 40-50%, they still make average of $40 per change which is 3 times all the other's mentioned....I'm not telling you Dealer's are rooking you but they get as much as they can on every deal...maximize all profits.....lot of overhead....a friend in Auto said the large dealerships would get the average customer by $500-600 bringing their cars in....all "cash" forward...not treating you like a neighbor...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I worked with my dealer on the Versaturfs for my tractor when I bought it last year in March. They weren't available from Deere at the time so he went to his supplier who had them. They were on the tractor when I received it, but the up charge was almost $400 for the swap out. I also seem to remember that someone, maybe Tim, could only get the rear Versaturfs at the time. Well worth the up charge for hard to get tires back then, but a little steep now.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
In the past I've bought the whole tire/rim setup and had them shipped in cheaper that buying just the tire....there may be a lot of people that want to trade out....jumping at the dealer option would be my last approach. I know the new design is catchy on the market but I can't see that much advantage over the R4's. I've used R4's on 5 tractors and they done everything needed. I never ran out of traction before I ran out of horsepower....but whatever the consumer wants....in no way would I go turf.

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
When I put versa turfs on my 2016 1025 a set of tires ran just over 300$ I ordered rims from deere for 425$ to have them mounted the local tire shop charges 4.00 to take a tire off the rims and 4$ to install. I had ordered new valve stems when I ordered rims. I dropped them off and went back in 2 hours and the bill was 16$ I gave him 25 and told him to keep the change. He smiled and said that was the first tip in a long time.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I prefer to say that I'm "thrifty", but bottom line, I'm friggin' CHEAP ! But, if someone does a good job at what I believe is a low cost, I don't have any problems with tipping! "Good job, Drifter!" Bob

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
1025 tire sizes aren’t really “tractor” sized tires and should be manageable by anyone with a tire machine. I usually change out tires myself except for on-road vehicles. It’s not that hard with a couple of the right tools and some know how.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Consider buying a Bead Buster and a HF manual tire changer, watching a few videos, and doing it yourself. The Bead Buster brand tire lube really makes the job easier too, much better IMO than dish soap or WD40. You can buy it all for well under the $300 your dealer wants, and you are then set for life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts