Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of some people that have winter storage at their dealership. Is this a normal thing for all dealers or just some that have enough room? I don't have a shed yet for my newly purchased D130 and trying to figure out what I'm going to do with it if I don't have a shed by the time winter hits.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Dealers around here do not offer it. The old Menards is no indoor storage and is being run by Menards. The rates aren't bad and its a good way to use their old stores.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have heard of some people that have winter storage at their dealership. Is this a normal thing for all dealers or just some that have enough room? I don't have a shed yet for my newly purchased D130 and trying to figure out what I'm going to do with it if I don't have a shed by the time winter hits.
Winter storage is fairly common with motorcycle dealerships. Especially within the last few years. Haven't heard about any tractor dealers doing this in my area. However I haven't been shopping around trying to find some. I'm sure it would depend on how much extra inside storage room they have available. Best thing I can recommend is calling around to different stores and ask. If you don't have any luck with the JD dealers you might want to try other brands. If all else fails try the motorcycle dealers. I would hope that they could accommodate you. However they might not be willing to do any extra service work.

The last dealer I worked for had a menu of prices depending on how much you want to spend or have done.
Here are some examples.
$100- wash machine, add fuel stabilizer and keep battery tendered.
$150- add safety inspection, oil and filter change to the above.
$350- add full service and complete detailing to the above.
10% discount on any parts installed by the service department.

Also some adjust the price depending on the size of the machine. Like a trike would cost more than a 2 wheel bike.

Back when I lived in the trailer hood I had a 8'X12' shed. The tractor barely fit through the door with it's 42" deck. After putting the 46" snow plow on it no longer fit. Luckily I got a free JD cover along with some other items as a promotion for buying it. Ended up having to use it for a few years during plow season. Might be something to think about for a backup plan. It worked okay for the most part. However the cover blew off more than once. The finish on my tractor got a little beat up from the cover flapping. Also from having to remove it after being covered with snow and ice. Then putting it back on afterwards. If you can just leave it set all winter it shouldn't be as bad. Getting inside storage is a way better option.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
So they would store the mower if I had them do the winterizing service?
That's usually how it works. However they usually have a minimum that you have to spend.

This reminds me. Some of the shops would give you free storage if you spent over a certain amount in the service department. The lowest I've ever seen was $500.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Isn't this one of the reasons people use those public storage places?
Have you ever seen the price of them? Years ago I looked at one next door to the trailer hood. Just looking at a 5'X5' to put some extra stuff in. It would hold my walk behind snow blower (MTD8-26) and maybe enough room around it to stand up some shovels and rakes etc. Forgot the exact price per month. What I do remember is after adding it up. It would literally be cheeper throwing away my snow blower every year. Then just buying another one next season. And I'm not talking about a cheep single stage. I laughed too myself. Well at least I'd never have to worry about changing oil in one ever again.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
Have you ever seen the price of them? Years ago I looked at one next door to the trailer hood. Just looking at a 5'X5' to put some extra stuff in. It would hold my walk behind snow blower (MTD8-26) and maybe enough room around it to stand up some shovels and rakes etc. Forgot the exact price per month. What I do remember is after adding it up. It would literally be cheeper throwing away my snow blower every year. Then just buying another one next season. And I'm not talking about a cheep single stage. I laughed too myself. Well at least I'd never have to worry about changing oil in one ever again.
I had no idea. I see them all over the place even here in the boonies. I figured they must be popular.

·
Premium Member
10,043 Posts
I had no idea. I see them all over the place even here in the boonies. I figured they must be popular.
We used a storage unit for a few months while moving. It ran about $70/ month for a small unit I think, I'd have to check the receipts. In any case, it does seem that people pay way more to store things than it would take to replace them. Public storage certainly doesn't seem like a good long term plan.

As for dealer storage, I've never encountered one that offered it. Our shop has always been stuffed to the gills, the last thing we need is to be responsible for a customer's machine for months at a time. It may be different if other places have space or a dedicated area for customer storage.

·
Registered
504 Posts
@roughly 70.00 per month for small storage, you could buy a metal storage shed, or build one out of wood, roof decking, shingles for yourself.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Frankly..IMHO.. Any JD dealer that did it is stupid and opens themselves up to more trouble than its worth. Every hole we have is stuffed. Gets worse when spring orders come in by the semi load. Cant see where it would be much of a money maker.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
They are popular. So are the reality shows about auctioning off the contents when peeps stop paying the bill. lol
For peeps that never seen a show. The way it works is they cut the lock and open the door. All the prospective buyers can have a quick look. Without touching anything or going inside the unit. The one auctioneer then states "looking time is over, buying time is here". I used that line a few times on customers at the bike shop. Like when you have a line of people waiting and one person can't make up his mind. lol

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Frankly..IMHO.. Any JD dealer that did it is stupid and opens themselves up to more trouble than its worth. Every hole we have is stuffed. Gets worse when spring orders come in by the semi load. Cant see where it would be much of a money maker.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Well up north the bike shops actually do make money doing this. Especially since not much else is going on. Like most seasonal business it shuts down when the cold weather hits. The store did have a sizable warehouse to keep them in. Think last year they had close to 200 bikes. So 200 bikes at a minimum $100 each =$20,000. Some people will choose a more expensive package or buy extra work. They also have insurance coverage in case the building burned down.

Also a few people that bought bikes also got free storage. Everything was paid for they are just waiting to pick them up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to check with my local Deere dealership this week which has a huge building after combining a couple town's dealerships.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
You can get a cheap tarp and frame type "building" for under $500
You can get a decent plastic shed from Lowes/Menards for under $1k
You can get a good wood shed for under $3k
All depends on the size you need (want), how much space you have, what you want to spend and how "good" of storage protection you want.

I bought a 8x14 wood shed for $3k delivered. It has an upgraded floor so I have no worries parking my 2320 in it with other misc yard stuff on shelves.
In the winter, the lawn mower and ATV will go in there, while the 2320 has snow removal duties.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Well up north the bike shops actually do make money doing this. Especially since not much else is going on. Like most seasonal business it shuts down when the cold weather hits. The store did have a sizable warehouse to keep them in. Think last year they had close to 200 bikes. So 200 bikes at a minimum $100 each =$20,000. Some people will choose a more expensive package or buy extra work. They also have insurance coverage in case the building burned down.

Also a few people that bought bikes also got free storage. Everything was paid for they are just waiting to pick them up.
Motorcycles I understand, tractors (unless lawn only) typically see winter duty as well (at least in the climates that would require winterization anyway)

I had a 12x16 shed built and delivered to my home for $3200 - it was competitive with the kit costs at Home Despot. My 1025R will JUST fit, but I usually park that in the garage. All the crap that WAS in the garage is in the shed.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to check with my local Deere dealership this week which has a huge building after combining a couple town's dealerships.
What kind of area do you live in? Neighborhood? Acreage? Trailer Park? Condo complex? Just wondering as that might dictate your options. For example, I have one of these, but if you live in a nice neighborhood with closely spaced houses, your neighbors (or your wife! :laugh:) might not like seeing it in your yard.

Something like this might be better if you have to worry about aesthetics - as long as your tractor would fit in it. A little more expensive, but a little nicer looking.

For what it's worth, I am also currently renting a 10x10 storage unit (don't ask! :banghead:) which costs me $80 per month. The original plan was to rent it for two months until I got some other stuff organized here at home. That was in mid-October....

Good luck with your solution! Remember, we at Green Tractor Talk are here.... TO HELP YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY! :gizmo: :laugh:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Motorcycles I understand, tractors (unless lawn only) typically see winter duty as well (at least in the climates that would require winterization anyway)

I had a 12x16 shed built and delivered to my home for $3200 - it was competitive with the kit costs at Home Despot. My 1025R will JUST fit, but I usually park that in the garage. All the crap that WAS in the garage is in the shed.

Snow removal is definitely good reason not to put a tractor into storage.

Glad you got your storage sorted out. This is the one thing that absolutely drives me crazy. People with a nice garage but it's so full of junk that you can't pull a car/truck/tractor in. lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What kind of area do you live in? Neighborhood? Acreage? Trailer Park? Condo complex? Just wondering as that might dictate your options. For example, I have one of these, but if you live in a nice neighborhood with closely spaced houses, your neighbors (or your wife! :laugh:) might not like seeing it in your yard.

Something like this might be better if you have to worry about aesthetics - as long as your tractor would fit in it. A little more expensive, but a little nicer looking.

For what it's worth, I am also currently renting a 10x10 storage unit (don't ask! :banghead:) which costs me $80 per month. The original plan was to rent it for two months until I got some other stuff organized here at home. That was in mid-October....

Good luck with your solution! Remember, we at Green Tractor Talk are here.... TO HELP YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY! :gizmo: :laugh:
I live in a neighborhood. I am planning on building a shed to hold the mower, snow blower and random garden/yard tools but I'm not sure if that is going to get done before winter. I can't wait to have this shed so I can clean out our garage a little bit.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts