Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer just told me they are closing their doors on May 31. He tells me I should call Potestio Brothers in Parker, or 4rivers in Longmont.

Both of those places are about 140 miles round trip for me. :-(

One of the big selling factors when I chose my dealership was pickup/dropoff services for warranty work. I do not own a trailer that I can transport my tractor on.

Would anyone happen to have any positive or negative experiences with these colorado dealers that would help me decide which one to contact?

Thanks for any pointers.....

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
My dealer just told me they are closing their doors on May 31. He tells me I should call Potestio Brothers in Parker, or 4rivers in Longmont.

Both of those places are about 140 miles round trip for me. :-(

One of the big selling factors when I chose my dealership was pickup/dropoff services for warranty work. I do not own a trailer that I can transport my tractor on.

Would anyone happen to have any positive or negative experiences with these colorado dealers that would help me decide which one to contact?

Thanks for any pointers.....
Sorry to hear this as its tough to be a distance from the dealer(s). Just curious, how far are you from your current dealer?

From your description, I would assume you must be west of those locations as those two towns are primarily north and south of Denver and that would be the easiest way to be an equal distance to both. And it looks like on the map when you get east of Denver there are a series of 21st Century dealers in the area east of Denver, but clearly not nearly the coverage of dealers when you get west.......

Based upon what I see, is the dealer which is going out of business Berthod brothers in Glenwood Springs? Looks like everything other than Berthoud Brothers is part of a Big Dealer Group, like U.S. Tractor and Harvest except one dealer way down in the southwestern corner of the state.

It is interesting looking at the dealer locator and in the greater Denver area, one is Potestio, the next 4 Rivers, the next Potestio, the next 4 rivers, when going north to south and it looks like they each have several locations in the general area. Definitely looks like those two are competing against one another as they seem to have alternating locations, if the general locater map is accurate.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious, how far are you from your current dealer?

From your description, I would assume you must be west of those locations as those two towns are primarily north and south of Denver and that would be the easiest way to be an equal distance to both. And it looks like on the map when you get east of Denver there are a series of 21st Century dealers in the area east of Denver, but clearly not nearly the coverage of dealers when you get west.......

Based upon what I see, is the dealer which is going out of business Berthod brothers in Glenwood Springs? Looks like everything other than Berthoud Brothers is part of a Big Dealer Group, like U.S. Tractor and Harvest except one dealer way down in the southwestern corner of the state.

It is interesting looking at the dealer locator and in the greater Denver area, one is Potestio, the next 4 Rivers, the next Potestio, the next 4 rivers, when going north to south and it looks like they each have several locations in the general area. Definitely looks like those two are competing against one another as they seem to have alternating locations, if the general locater map is accurate.
My current dealer is about 45 miles from me. I live due west of Denver. It does look like I only have the choice of 2 competing chains - neither one of them gets very favorable reviews on yelp. 4rivers in Strasburg seems to be the most highly rated location. It is 80 miles from me. Ugh.

Curious - is getting your tractor picked up and dropped off when it requires warranty work a standard operating procedure for Deere dealerships?

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
Graham:

4Rivers has been buying up the dealers along the Front Range, and I'm surprised Potestio hasn't been acquired by them...yet.

I bought my X754 from 4Rivers in Greeley without much hassle.

However; other than warranty work on my 4200 back in 2001 I haven't had to use dealer service. I buy my parts from the Longmont (formerly Long's Peak Equipment) location as they are the closest to me.

I don't put much stock in Yelp reviews.

I wish I could be of more help.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
My current dealer is about 45 miles from me. I live due west of Denver. It does look like I only have the choice of 2 competing chains - neither one of them gets very favorable reviews on yelp. 4rivers in Strasburg seems to be the most highly rated location. It is 80 miles from me. Ugh.

Curious - is getting your tractor picked up and dropped off when it requires warranty work a standard operating procedure for Deere dealerships?
-my old dealer would not pick up or deliver ur machine for warranty work, even where i bought my 835R gator at.

clear back in 2006 even the smaller dealer would not pick up and deliver for free--and then that dealer got bought out by a bigger outfit, and they wouldn't do it either.

it's a good hr to where my old dealer is at.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,093 Posts

Curious - is getting your tractor picked up and dropped off when it requires warranty work a standard operating procedure for Deere dealerships?[/QUOTE]
-my old dealer would not pick up or deliver ur machine for warranty work, even where i bought my 835R gator at.

clear back in 2006 even the smaller dealer would not pick up and deliver for free--and then that dealer got bought out by a bigger outfit, and they wouldn't do it either.
it's a good hr to where my old dealer is at.
My dealer charges everyone for pickup except me. :dunno: :munch:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
We sell boats and pontoons.
We will provide warranty services at customers lake homes at no charge. To be clear, we do NOT get any compensation from the manufacturers for this service, we absorb it. We are not obligated to provide these services, it is by choice, to make it very difficult for competitors to do business in our back yard.

·
Registered
21,483 Posts
I’m in a similar situation. My “local” dealer closed down over 10 years ago due to Deere’s process of only wanting mega dealers. Since then my closest dealer is a 3 hour round trip. I know where it is but have never been there.

I’ve had Deere equipment all my life. First lawn & garden tractor was around 1974 I think.

My last purchase was my 2520 back in 2007. I’m sure I would have purchased more green equipment since then as I got to be friends with the manager and would stop in there almost every trip to town.

It’s a shame really but I guess there just isn’t enough business around here in the boonies. At one time when you drove down the road all you would see are green tractors.

Warranty service would be a big concern for me also.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Most dealers charge for pickup and delivery, even for warranty work.

If I remember correctly, even JD's warranty statement says that transportation is not covered under the warranty.

Some dealers will send a truck out and do warranty service on-site, but like Dr. M posted, this is likely a dealer service.

Some dealers will do annual service on site. Don't know what the charge is compared to bringing it into the shop, but it might be worth checking on.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
I bought my New Holland from Potestio in Parker and still use them for parts/service for my inlaws 4520. I'd review them as a necessary evil. I don't want to use them but I don't have much choice. I'm not using 4Rivers.

Are you looking for service or just parts? Is there anything closer to the UT side?

Where are you? I'm about 1/2 way between Denver and CO Springs

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
I'm guessing the OP is in northern Park County or upper Golden Gate Canyon or Genesee or Middle Park area based on the mileage estimates to various dealers he posted.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm guessing the OP is in northern Park County or upper Golden Gate Canyon or Genesee or Middle Park area based on the mileage estimates to various dealers he posted.
Sorry - wasn't trying to be secretive - I live near Idaho Springs on Fall River Road. AKA Paradise.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I am going to try 4rivers in Strasburg. It's a little bit further for me, but the reviews are much better for their service department.

I have a couple things going on with my tractor - 50 hour service, which i am tempted to do myself - a small hydraulic leak near the mid PTO that i cannot track down, and I believe that my locking differential does not release properly when the parking brake is released....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought my New Holland from Potestio in Parker and still use them for parts/service for my inlaws 4520. I'd review them as a necessary evil. I don't want to use them but I don't have much choice. I'm not using 4Rivers.

Are you looking for service or just parts? Is there anything closer to the UT side?

Where are you? I'm about 1/2 way between Denver and CO Springs
Potestio gets terrible reviews on every platform i can find - plus i hate driving to Parker :greentractorride: I think i have pretty much ruled them out. I live near Idaho Springs on Fall River Road. I was hoping there might be a dealership in Frisco or Granby area, but no luck - so that means driving down the hill.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably smoking that legal, potent dank got them not caring how business is do. Lol :unknown:
OMG - the guy i bought from was a nice guy, but he smoked these terrible smelling cigars inside the showroom - my wife couldn't set foot in the place. I was told that he had health problems, which is too bad. Nice guy - too much smoke - and not the good kind.

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
Sorry - wasn't trying to be secretive - I live near Idaho Springs on Fall River Road. AKA Paradise.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I am going to try 4rivers in Strasburg. It's a little bit further for me, but the reviews are much better for their service department.

I have a couple things going on with my tractor - 50 hour service, which i am tempted to do myself - a small hydraulic leak near the mid PTO that i cannot track down, and I believe that my locking differential does not release properly when the parking brake is released....
I understand. I used to work with a guy at NREL that lives in your area on Big Meadow Drive if I recall the road name correctly. Another acquaintance in your area is the straw boss for lack of a better term for Roadrunner Fabrication and Powder Coating.

The 50-hour service isn't hard to do. If your locking differential pedal is like my 2001 vintage 4200's; they normally can be a bit finicky. You might ask other GTT members with the same tractor if the diff-lock pedal works the same as yours and if they consider it normal.

Strasburg is probably farther than the other alternatives; but is a straight shot down I-70 for you, and will become cake once you get past DIA. Just check CDOT's website regarding the I-70 viaduct construction schedule by the coliseum.

I'm west of the Brighton area.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4rivers in Strasburg will pick and drop off my tractor for $250. That's just a no-brainer for me. They are picking it up next Tuesday. Hoping for good things.

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
I agree! Let 4Rivers have all the fun of picking it up and hauling it back. Now if they charged $250 for a 10 - 20 mile round-trip, then it would be a different matter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts