Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled upon Neil Messick's video discussing why garden tractor's aren't as popular as they used to be. I think we all agree that sub-compact tractors and zero-turns have taken some of that market but I'd say JD seems to be doing just fine with their lineup. Maybe Kubota's lineup hasn't done quite as well. Seems like he singled out the x700 as not having very good resale value especially if trading in for a bigger tractor - but isn't that the case for just about anything you trade-in? If you are going to keep it a while, it's been my observation that well maintained JD GTs demand a pretty good price compared to the competition.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree - John Deere has been king of this segment for years, and I hope they continue to be - I dont see them getting rid of the 700

I have to assume the other companies have gotten rid of theirs because they weren’t selling (I know that is the case for the recently discontinued Simplicity Legacy). John Deere seems to sell plenty 700’s still?

·
Registered
187 Posts
It is sad. People buy into whatever is hyped up. Zero turns are the big fad now marketed towards lazy people who only want to mow faster. People completely forget that a garden tractor is 100X more capable and comfortable than any zero turn.
I can see the appeal for a SCUT but not for a zero turn. The garden tractor is honestly the best suited machine for mowing, snow removal, aerating, dethatching and pulling a dump cart or small trailer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It is sad. People buy into whatever is hyped up. Zero turns are the big fad now marketed towards lazy people who only want to mow faster. People completely forget that a garden tractor is 100X more capable and comfortable than any zero turn.
I can see the appeal for a SCUT but not for a zero turn. The garden tractor is honestly the best suited machine for mowing, snow removal, aerating, dethatching and pulling a dump cart or small trailer.
couldn’t agree more. Doing all of those things are important to me more than speed

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Well What do You expect from Messick's I have always found them to be a Little Biased if they don't sell the Brand

Kubota Been Out of the Garden tractor Game for 14 Years. But that's why they do offer the BX1880. They really Never Had a Big Market share In the Garden tractor Game In the US, The G series was Never a Big seller compared to Other Super Garden tractor Manufacturers

Deere 45 Loader Had High sales Number Until the 1 series Came Out with the Introduction of the 1 series there was a decline In Loader sales so that's why a replacement Loader Never Made it Past the Mock-Up stage for the X700 signature series But during the Production of the 2210 & 2305. The 45 Loader sold extremely well

Yes many Manufacturer's More or Less replaced their Garden equipment with Sub Compact Tractors, New Holland was the 1st when Toro stopped Producing the GT series for them. For a year or two after Toro stopped the GT Production, they did sell the New Holland MY Yard Tractor based On the Toro/Wheel Horse 4XT series. Kubota dropped the G series the following Year. Massey-Ferguson Kept the Simplicity Legacy XL Until the 2012 Then finally they Had Up to the Simplicity Prestige Clone for a few More Years But Marketed their Sub Compact More as a Garden tractor.

Right Now, Deere is the Only US Manufacturer with a Super Garden tractor Since Simplicity dropped the Legacy XL series this year (spring 2022). But the Deere X700 series still outsells the 1 series worldwide. You see a Lot of Sub compacts On this forum. But this forum Only represents a Drop In the Bucket of actually Deere sales worldwide The Deere X900 series (same as X700 Signature series except the X950) is a Very Popular tractor In Europe.

The Super GT is a Dying Breed though Because what Manufacturers Use to Market a Super doing. They Market the Sub Compact as doing those Jobs Now. For the Most Part, Lawn & Garden equipment was farmed out to other Manufacturers By the Big AG companies to began with. Deere, Kubota, IH Cub and Sperry New Holland & Case were the exceptions

Ford for Outdoor Power equipment Used
Jacobson
Gilson
Toro

White Tractor which was Oliver
Jacobson
MTD

Allis Chalmers Bought Simplicity and owned it about 20 Years and when it was spun off as it own company
Simplicity was still making the Allis & Duezt Allis & AGCO-Allis equipment

Case Bought Colt to have there own Outdoor Power equipment Line

When Case Bought IH(actually Tenneco Bought IH)
Since IH had the Cub Cadet Line(which had already been spun off to MTD) Case Spun of it outdoor Power equipment Line to Jack Ingersoll

Massey Ferguson equipment
AMF
Snapper
Ingersoll In the late 1980 early 1990's
Simplicity after AGCO bought Massey Ferguson

Many of those manufacturers, while their Name's Have changed, Many still farm out their Sub Compacts. But Back In the day, they really didn't Make Much Money off their farmed out Outdoor Power equipment. The Company they Picked to Make their stuff actually made most of the profits on the sales. Deere wants the profits all to themselves, except for the Token dealer Cut. Deere Outdoor Power equipment really helps with their Profitability Prior to the L100 series, Deere Usually Broke about even. But Once they went into the Box stores, Deere started to see record Profits, and it's something they have kept going since 2003 In the outdoor Power equipment Market. AS Long as the sales Numbers stay Up, I don't Think You will see them dropping a X700 style tractor anytime soon from their Horicon Plant (y)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
He does have a point about the cost. I considered the x700 series, but when I compared it to the 1025r, the cost made no sense. It was obvious a 1025r was what I needed instead.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Another 'click-bait' Youtuber??

(I didn't watch it...)
The Messick's channel should be viewed as advertisement for their business with Neil as a spokesman. They're not "click-bait" in the sense that the channel is not a primary income stream for the company so they don't need views. They are geared towards getting you to buy what they sell though.

I'll also say that as much as I like the information Neil shares he's very biased against JD. I expect that given that Messick's doesn't sell Deere equipment.

He does have a point about the cost. I considered the x700 series, but when I compared it to the 1025r, the cost made no sense. It was obvious a 1025r was what I needed instead.
Yep. When I looked at the x700 I thought to myself "who buys this when a 1025R is about the same price?". I get the appeal of it but I just couldn't picture a situation in which an x700 was better than a 1025R or a cheaper riding lawnmower. Maybe there's a sweet spot I didn't picture but it just felt that the smaller riding lawnmowers fit the "suburban" homeowner just fine for a fraction of the cost while people on 1-5 acres would get far more use out of the 1025R.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I also don't believe it has anything to do with lazy or not lazy.
Really, really depends on what jobs there are to be done and whether they will be done with one machine, etc etc,

After all, there are many sizes of tractors and many sizes of zero turns.
And almost every one also has more that one size / type of deck available and a long list of accessories available.
Again, depends on the needs / wants of the buyer.

OTOH, maybe we're all lazy because we don't use a push mower (self propelled anyone?) or a standup rider? Or an man-powered reel mower?

Maybe a sythe or sickle would be the thing.
The are much more automated that just cutting with a hand knife.
Tool Auto part Eyewear Font Wood

Yupp, I have a couple of them that my ancestors used on the farm.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
🤣

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
A ZT is faster and less fatiguing than a GT, even if it has power steering. A ZT and a CUT has all bases covered. A GT is a compromise between the two but with the cost of an X7__ you might as well go to a 1025.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,385 Posts
Zero turns are the big fad now marketed towards lazy people who only want to mow faster. People completely forget that a garden tractor is 100X more capable and comfortable than any zero turn.
Can't say I agree with those statements.
We have a Compact Tractor, Commercial Zero Turn, Garden Tractor, Push Mower and 3 Weed Whackers. We use all of them, A Lot.
I have never in my life been called lazy.
I should also mention that in today's world I see a lot of so called garden tractors and I'm here to say most are not garden tractors of yesterday, and most are pure junk.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
A Zero Turn could not cut my property, they are no good on the hills I have and the soft ground is problematic in some areas. JD-445 and the 1026R work in tandem each doing their job, 445 for the grass and the 1026R for the Wood Chipper, Brush Hog and FEL jobs. If the 445 ever dies before I do, I will have to consider its replacement and it will probably be the X7xx series they are selling at the time. Being 72, I hope the 445 out last me, after all I have only had it since 1994.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,385 Posts
If the 445 ever dies before I do, I will have to consider its replacement and it will probably be the X7xx series they are selling at the time. Being 72, I hope the 445 out last me, after all I have only had it since 1994.
I'm in the same boat with our 1994 Wheel Horse 314.

·
Registered
John Deere 650, 330, 317
48 Posts
I love and keep and use my GTs all the time. That being said, for fast mowing, a zero turn is the way to go. I can mow more grass in less time with my 997 Ztrak than my X595 with a 2” larger deck. They are meant to be mowers only, so they are faster, more maneuverable, and more comfortable for long periods of mowing. Many years ago zero turns were just for the landscaping companies. Now they’re 75% of rider inventory around me. A customer of mine recently bought a mid range ZT from Lowe’s for about $3200 with a 54” deck. Something like that is ideal for most rural homeowners and a GT is hardly necessary, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
I would guess there was for sure some bias in there since Kabota does not offer anything that competes with the X7.
I would agree the market has been split up into many many little niche segments. Everyone should be able to find the right mower for their needs.

The X7 is the better mower when compared to SCUTs not by a lot, but for what I use my X758 for, the 1025 nor a 0 turn would workout very well.
Maybe with the right mods, I could get a 1025 to get close, but a Z is 100% out for me, been there done that, a Z can't hold a slope and are constantly getting stuck if mowing around any sort of wet areas, ponds, creaks, ditches etc. etc.

To me the X7s are still built to the same extremely high quality level Deere built it's premier mower manufactures name on.
As far as my experiences go with all 3 types SCUTs, X7s, and Zs .
The X7 is still the best mower money can buy.
There might be one exception to that, but you all thought the X7 was pricy $10-15K depending on model and options.

The Deere 1585 prices new in the $45-50K range depending on how it is optioned. At least that was the quote I had from last August.

The 1585 is a front deck all wheel drive diesel powered mowing machine, plus it has a cab with Heat and AC.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...I should also mention that in today's world I see a lot of so called garden tractors and I'm here to say most are not garden tractors of yesterday, and most are pure junk.
Unfortunately that's been going on for a while, and we can blame the manufacturer's PR/ad people for that. A bigger engine and tires don't make a lawn mower into a GT.

·
Premium Member
17,071 Posts
Unfortunately that's been going on for a while, and we can blame the manufacturer's PR/ad people for that. A bigger engine and tires don't make a lawn mower into a GT.
How true. There are those who think the X500-series are garden tractors because it has "lug bolts" on the rear hubs. Unfortunately the hub is only a facade and the wheels are driven by a single square key just like every other riding mower. :)

Font Parallel Circle Auto part Technology

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
How true. There are those who think the X500-series are garden tractors because it has "lug bolts" on the rear hubs. Unfortunately the hub is only a facade and the wheels are driven by a single square key just like every other riding mower. :)

View attachment 846843
Many Good quality Garden tractor from 30 plus years ago, used square Keys as well and could work in the Garden Just fine. I had a MTD Made Wards and it never let me down working In the Garden or spreading Material with a front Blade. I used it as Much as My JD 240 at the time(y)

1 - 20 of 202 Posts