Green Tractor Talk banner
81 - 100 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
is the GR even really a garden tractor? no sleeve hitch capability, no torque rating for the trans anywhere online. a shft drive is cool and all, but why bother if you cant use rear implements?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
People are way too easily offended and can't handle an opinion that is different from their own. Everyone has their own preference. What works for one might not work for another.
Not offended, just called out ignorance. You gave a strongly worded opinion inferring laziness about what other people prefer to mow with so you shouldn't be surprised that they have defended their preference.

It really is all about preference, there is no right or wrong choice when it comes to that. We only have so much money and storage space or else many of us would have one of each.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
We can all go to Marks house and eat lobster rolls while we watch him s l o w l y haul brush with his grapple 20’ at a time
Just remember... that's 20' farther than your grapple goes at any speed! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I'd hardly say it's the death of the segment as the Deere garden tractors are obviously still made and still sell well enough that theres a 1-2 month lead time on them.

The garden tractor market downsized for sure with the introduction of more choices to the market.

SCUTs evolved from super garden tractors and certainty became a dominant force.

Z-turns were invented for commercial first then made their way into consumer hands for people who just wanted to mow and in a hurry.

As market share split the lesser quality builders stopped making machines they could no long sell. Leaving being Cub, Simplicity, Deere and a couple others still making a garden tractor that was worth the cost. Slowly that has dropped down to just Deere making a garden tractor that lives up to it's name and is worth buying. There simply isn't another company that has anything that can compete with the Deere x series riding mowers. Except for the X3 series.

I really don't think any company out there has the history or heritage to make a $13000 riding mower that anyone is really willing to buy. JD never sacrificed quality for price point, even with their box store machines you get what you pay for. Their is consumer trust in the brand that other manufacturers have lost along the way.

My x738 is in my opinion the best machine I could have gotten for my property. It does exactly what I want it to do every time I go to use it. I can push it as hard as it will go and it never breaks a sweat. It's worth every penny it cost.

Im really tired of people saying oh but a 1 series is the same money when set up the same. They aren't the same machine. Sure they do similar things but they are rather drastically different machines to use and operate. It's like saying crew cab pickup and a 4 door European sedan are the same thing. Well they cost the same amount of money. They both do the pretty much the same thing but the experience of each is drastically different.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Jaw Rectangle Font Art Poster

·
Registered
350 Posts
There are some lawn care outfits around here that are using the X748 and X758's. And they are doing the jobs you wouldn't be able to mow on a ZTR. Some of the slopes I see them mowing makes my butt clench up.

Reactions: TJR345 and X758er

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'm working on that.
Sometimes I let my wife mow the lawn.
That’s the laziest method I can come up with.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
Z-turns were invented for commercial first then made their way into consumer hands for people who just wanted to mow and in a hurry.
I wouldn't exactly say they were Invented for the commercial user 1st

The 1st zero Turn was the Swisher ride King.

While Hustler(1964 Model) was considered the Father of the Zero turn as we know it today. John Regier that started the configuration we know today with Lever steering Built His 1st Machine for Mowing the family Farm. So the original purpose was for mowing Large Residential Properties Hustler started Gearing it later On towards the commercial user

But In 1974 Dixon came on the scene who actually 1st to coined the Term Zero Turn radius and It's Machines were really geared towards the Residential Purchaser . Dixon really didn't Market towards commercial users until the Late 1990's (y)

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,987 Posts
Obviously since you made the post! :ROFLMAO:
@MattL I see you left me a mad smilie...

What I meant was you were obviously joking because you were still alive to post about it. Had it been true we probably would never hear from you again... :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
Yes, I Know that is why my Father wanted children I don't think my Father Mowed the Lawn again Until My Younger Brother was 17 In 1993 and My Older Brother was Mowing In the late 1960s, I was Mowing in the 1970s Except My Older Brother Had to Mow again when I was In Military school for 3 years in the late 1970s :LOL:

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
That's pretty cool. A bit pricey for me but it would be fun to try one out.

They appear perfect for those who seem to have trouble with wet spots, like maybe a person or two on here. . .
Yea they are geared for commercial side but if you had hills and difficult areas to mow it might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
...Sometimes I let my wife mow the lawn.
That’s the laziest method I can come up with.
No, those battery powered robot mowers would be the lazy way. But then again, touching up all the missed spots from the random mow pattern...maybe goats are the way to go.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Never called sitting on a mower lazy, it was called "Tractor A$$". If anybody feels guilt about sitting they still make push mowers and walk behinds. 🙃

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,671 Posts
@MattL I see you left me a mad smilie...

What I meant was you were obviously joking because you were still alive to post about it. Had it been true we probably would never hear from you again... :ROFLMAO:
Not hurting me feelings 🤣

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
Yea they are geared for commercial side but if you had hills and difficult areas to mow it might be worth looking into.
For Hills The Cub Cadet steering wheel Zero turn's are very Good for as well (y)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
For Hills The Cub Cadet steering wheel Zero turn's are very Good for as well (y)
I see a lot, and I mean a lot, of very steep side hills cut on an angle with ZTs and the cut looks good.

What they don't seem to have in general is a sharp V at the bottom of them that could flip the mower easily. If there's a smooth transition from level to steep slope like in a retention basin they seem to do good.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,470 Posts
It is sad. People buy into whatever is hyped up. Zero turns are the big fad now marketed towards lazy people who only want to mow faster. People completely forget that a garden tractor is 100X more capable and comfortable than any zero turn.
You sir are a rude individual. The day you replied to this thread, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

In my situation, as in many others, I have no use for a Garden Tractor. I have no garden. I push no snow. All I need to do is mow my lawn. If you and other's need a garden tractor, that's fine with me. I can understand why they choose to go that route. I don't be-little them because of their needs or choices.
I bought a Zero Turn and it's what I need to keep my lawn manicured. It does what I need it to do.

·
Registered
463 Posts
2018 John Deere X758 - Lawn & Garden Tractors - John Deere MachineFinder

Way less than $14K and way less than 1400 hours, and looks in decent shape, but not in the great white north where Deere machines are much more expensive.
Oh?....
9,895 USD = $12,800 CAD... then add 13% sales tax when I bring it across the border and the final amount is? ____
Can anyone help me fill in the blank?.....

Oh yea - and then add 965km 2x, at the cost of fuel today?....

as I mentioned before... around here, they cost $14k... yea - we get ripped off up here

cheers!

81 - 100 of 179 Posts