Green Tractor Talk banner
101 - 120 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I should add....
i could probably sell my 2305 right now - for the price I paid for it back in 2007... except it had 36hrs when I bought it, and has 1800hrs now.
Actually, now that I think about it - I can sell it for more than what I paid for it!!...

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,470 Posts
Actually, now that I think about it - I can sell it for more than what I paid for it!!...
Yep. Only problem is, if you were to replace it with new, it would cost much more these days.

I can most likely sell my truck for ~ $15k over what I paid for it 3 years ago, but to replace it would be out of the ballpark. ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
You sir are a rude individual. The day you replied to this thread, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

In my situation, as in many others, I have no use for a Garden Tractor. I have no garden. I push no snow. All I need to do is mow my lawn. If you and other's need a garden tractor, that's fine with me. I can understand why they choose to go that route. I don't be-little them because of their needs or choices.
I bought a Zero Turn and it's what I need to keep my lawn manicured. It does what I need it to do.
Nothing I said was rude in the slightest bit. Many people like yourself just chose to take it offensively in the worst way. Nothing I said is wrong either, John Deere even had to fight it with the "its not how fast you mow but how well you mow fast" commercials because zero turns were almost solely marketed for how fast they could mow. It was getting ridiculous so John Deere countered it with those commercials.

·
Super Moderator
2,813 Posts
Let's keep this on topic and avoid all the drama, name calling, etc. To each his own, zero turns, garden tractors, lawn tractors, rear engine riders, walk behind mowers.......they're design for different applications, different size yards, different jobs, different budgets.....

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,343 Posts
I see a lot, and I mean a lot, of very steep side hills cut on an angle with ZTs and the cut looks good.
Maybe not a real steep hill but I've been mowing this hill beside our house with a Commercial ZTR for over 20 years.
I find it sooo much easier with the a ZTR vs a lawn or garden tractor, especially since the ZTR has a sort of locked rear axle.
Plant Building Property Green Hood

John Deere even had to fight it with the "its not how fast you mow but how well you mow fast" commercials because zero turns were almost solely marketed for how fast they could mow. It was getting ridiculous so John Deere countered it with those commercials.
IMO JD hit it out of the park with their commercial, sort of made people stop and think.

·
Registered
157 Posts
For me, personally a conventional zero turn does not work. The constant forward pressure necessary on the sticks puts my hands to sleep after awhile. I had a craftsman zero turn and it mowed well and was fast, but I couldn't get comfortable on it with seating position and my hand issue.

Also my yard is typically always wet and the zero turn, by way of how they turn was always tearing my yard up. They are just not for me. My brother has a property with lots of steep hills he bought a cub cadet zero turn with a steering wheel on it to mow. That design works for slopes and he likes it. That type with the steering wheel would probably work for me. But I'm in no hurry when I mow and my yard has lots of dips in it so I can't go very fast anyway. My E180 works for me.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Stumbled upon Neil Messick's video discussing why garden tractor's aren't as popular as they used to be. I think we all agree that sub-compact tractors and zero-turns have taken some of that market but I'd say JD seems to be doing just fine with their lineup. Maybe Kubota's lineup hasn't done quite as well. Seems like he singled out the x700 as not having very good resale value especially if trading in for a bigger tractor - but isn't that the case for just about anything you trade-in? If you are going to keep it a while, it's been my observation that well maintained JD GTs demand a pretty good price compared to the competition.

Carbureted everything problem should die. They use much more fuel than fuel injected engines, especially diesels. Someone posted (think it was on Facebook) that a gas powered blower over a relatively short driveway (maybe 150 feet) emits more pollutants that a SUV driving from Fairbanks to Dallas.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,671 Posts
Nothing I said was rude in the slightest bit. Many people like yourself just chose to take it offensively in the worst way. Nothing I said is wrong either, John Deere even had to fight it with the "its not how fast you mow but how well you mow fast" commercials because zero turns were almost solely marketed for how fast they could mow. It was getting ridiculous so John Deere countered it with those commercials.
Food for thought - "Mow Fast" does not equal "lazy".

Reactions: Kbar and flyweight

·
Registered
760 Posts
This is my 7th summer mowing with my Cub Cadet LZ54 TANK commercial mower. I had used a 1981 Cub Cadet 982 with 50 inch deck for 14-15 years. The Onan B48G had been completely professionally rebuilt just before I bought it, but engine problems kept me falling back to finish mowing with my 1968 Cub Cadet #72 with 38" deck. Mowing the whole yard with the #72 took 5-6 hours, 982 took 4 to 4-1/2 hrs. FIRST mow with the tank was about 3 hours. I have mowed in as little as 2-1/2 hours. Depends on how close I try to trim some places. My yard is NOT smooth, I mow with zero turn at garden tractor speeds. The time savings comes from the effortless instant pivot turns, being able to go exactly where you want/need to go just by "thinking" about it, no sawing back & forth on a steering wheel.
The Over-head valve Kawasaki motor burns about 1/2 gallon less gas while mowing, plus I don't have the feeling of "Impending DOOM" I get from the Onan, I absolutely can't see how ANY portable arc welder mfg could power a welder/generator with as crappy as that Onan holds engine speed. Yes, that 10-fingered plastic wheel slips on my cam gear hub. Installing the ignition points & condensor INSIDE the engine crankcase was another stupid move. Lots of Onan's have been replaced with Briggs, Kohler, couple guys have put Diesels out of semi-trailer reefer units in them, I wanted an air-cooled Duetz diesel! I have two antique Farmall tractors, the '51 M Dad bought brand new, and the '54 Super H he traded my '39 H on in 1968. It was a local tractor, Big Time Operator bought it with his new IH corn planter in '54 was lightly used till he traded it in on a new 756 Diesel May of '68. Dad was lucky enough to be first to the dealer with the cash for the SH. It's my #1 snow mover now, M also has a loader, it's #2. Back in 2008 SON and I had an enjoyable HOUR one Saturday morning clearing one to two feet of snow out of our front yard, I did not want that snow to melt and end up in the basement. We had an all time record 108 inches of snow that winter.
Glad I bought the zero turn. I pull my Pronovost P-503 tandem axle cart around with it all the time. IF I sprayed or broadcast fertilizer I'd do that with it too, or a big lawn sweeper. MY lawn aerator pulls too hard for the zero turn.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
, plus I don't have the feeling of "Impending DOOM"
Made me laugh. I have things like that and your right that feeling is there and the worse part is that feeling lasts for 20 years while it just keeps running.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
Bottom line: so is the GT sector dead or not???
The Super size Is dying But There still are several Medium or standard Garden tractors on the Market Not as Versatile as say a JD 316Onan through 332. But they're still being Manufactured

I Know Deere considered dropping every X500 Model except the entry level model (which Became the X570) and Keeping the X700 series. But Both the X500 & X700 series still sell very well. Even with the Super GT dying, Deere still has high sales for the X700 series. So it almost seems basically Deere Came from Behind In 1974 and won the Super Garden tractor Wars

Lost to history or bad marketing

Ariens/Gravely Ariens did try in the 1990s to Update the GT series to the Grand Sierra. But Many of their dealers didn't really push their Tractors, or they were Hardware stores That concentrated On walk Behind equipment. But there really needed to Bring the Gravely Garden tractor to the Modern age It was Basically still stuck In the 1960s where Gear Drive was still King I mean once Ariens Bought Gravely they Did relabel an Ariens GT series in Gravel colors But I think Had they developed a Hydrostatic Version of the rear engine tractor they Might have stayed In Production today

Bolens/ Troy-Bilt. MTD should Have tried to Make this a Premium Line Instead of Making it a Lower Priced Machine Marketed towards the Box stores

Cub Cadet Super GT's & 3000 series. 3000 series was design to compete with 425 through 455 Had they updated the 3000 series (added a Limited Cat 1 & a 4WD) to be more Like the Deere X700 Ultimate You Might still see a 3000 series style tractor on the market today. Problem was they stayed In a stagnant state competing with a JD series that was out of Production by the 3000 series 4th year of Production

Ingersoll 3000 & 4000 series I think if the Owner of Eastman hadn't been Made a quadriplegic In a skiing accident I think Ingersoll 4000 Might still be on the Market They Made some nice Improvements But Not Great Marketing of those Improvements

Simplicity Legacy XL & clone once Briggs Bought it. The Marketing suffered with the Push for Briggs air cooled engines. The Briggs reputation suffered a Bit when Tecumseh left the engine Manufacturing Market, and Briggs started to Take over those Jobs that Tecumseh had done before

Toro made some Mistakes with their Toro/Wheel Horse 5Xi series. No 3point Option or even Diff/lock, and No Industry standard rear PTO. I think had those Options Been added, Toro Might have stayed In the Garden tractor Market

(y)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,343 Posts
Just to throw it out there...
Is there a Garden Tractor or Lawn Tractor made that rides better/smoother than a Zero Turn, both at the same speed?

Reactions: flyweight

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Just to throw it out there...
Is there a Garden Tractor or Lawn Tractor made that rides better/smoother than a Zero Turn, both at the same speed?
That is probably too broad of a comparison to try and make. The X7 rides smoother then most Zs but there are some Zs out there that have some pretty advanced suspension systems under them, that I am sure likely would ride smoother then the X7s. I would say the majority that are equal in that they neither have a suspension system do not ride smoother then the X7s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I may have said this on the forum, but the ground pressure that an x700 puts on the ground is less than a ZTR and a Sub Compact, i have a spreadsheet for this. I had s ZTR and was tired of the tire tracks of mud. I has my ZTR for 3 years before my x730. No more tracks. I prob will put a 3 point and 540 PTO on my x730, while cost wise not as efficient as a 1 series, the x730 would be one machine for all my tasks, which is a savings that outweighs the capacity loss for me.

101 - 120 of 179 Posts