Green Tractor Talk banner
121 - 140 of 179 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,470 Posts
It is sad. People buy into whatever is hyped up. Zero turns are the big fad now marketed towards lazy people who only want to mow faster.
Nothing I said was rude in the slightest bit.
In so many words, you stated that all who own a ZT are lazy. As many here do, I own a ZT and don't consider myself a lazy person.
-----------

I'm thinking I should add cab and A/C to my Ferris. Would that make me double or triple lazy?
Joe.
According to Mr. GT, you will be considered the bottom-of-the-barrel LAZY.
Art Entertainment Font Event Fashion accessory

·
Registered
549 Posts
In so many words, you stated that all who own a ZT are lazy. As many here do, I own a ZT and don't consider myself a lazy person.
I think you are covered for also owning a garden tractor, unless an old round fender isn't considered a garden tractor by some standards.

Font Rectangle Brand Slope Paper product

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,470 Posts
I think you are covered for also owning a garden tractor, unless an old round fender isn't considered a garden tractor by some standards.

View attachment 847159
Yes, sir. I do own a round fender garden tractor but it's on sabbatical at this time. ;)

I'm guessing someone will be calling me names for using my ZT instead of the GT. :rolleyes:
Either way, I'll drink to it.
Violet Magenta Event Electric blue Symmetry

·
Registered
549 Posts
BTW, Andursun001333333333333333. How have you been, you Okie? :unsure:
Me, I'm doing just fine. Proud to be an OKIE, thats fer darn sure! I recently did a little swapping around on and got a nice running '66 110 RF as well, I mowed with it. Well I mowed once with it. Probably won't be doing that much...

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Tractor

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Me, I'm doing just fine. Proud to be an OKIE, thats fer darn sure! I recently did a little swapping around on and got a nice running '66 110 RF as well, I mowed with it. Well I mowed once with it. Probably won't be doing that much...

View attachment 847163
Very nice tractor.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
This 👆 is why affection for garden tractors will never die

·
Registered
392 Posts
Affection won't die, but ability to buy a new one might, because (while not dead) most people's affection for purchasing a new one might.

As an example, fine china (plates and other things for use for eating) used to be really popular. Now most heirloom quality china ends up in the 2nd hand store and no one wants it.

People will still likely need to do the tasks that people have used super garden tractors for. But they probably won't have one machine that can do it all. Many people really don't need all the capability of a super garden tractor and definitely be aren't willing to pay for it when something 1/5 the price will do the thing they need done, mowing the lawn. It won't do it in the same style or with the same ease, but it will do it. Others have greater needs so they will buy machines that are more capable of tractoring, like a SCUT or even a CUT. Some will even use those for mowing. Others will have a different machine just for mowing, perhaps even a zero turn.

The people who frequent tractor forums are not average/mainstream/normal (😉). Deere still makes super garden tractors and also SCUTs, but they have decided that they want to give customers lots of choices. This makes it possible to have just the set of features people want and the ability to price them so Deere makes more money. As customers, we get to choose with our wallets as to what we want to buy. If enough people keep buying super garden tractors, they will keep making them.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts

View attachment 847163
My 1964 Probably hasn't cut grass in at least 30 years. I Bought it In 2018 from a Friend and former Deere dealer. It spent a Lot of Its Life On a Table at The former Belvidere Lawn & Garden In Belvidere, IL, or On a Rack In his Garage in the same Town. I do drive it around.

It came with an integral Hitch, & OEM spring assist and a UN-restored snow Thrower and I have a UN-restored front blade for it as well as wheel weights, chains and a slab weight. Some day I'll Try and go to a Plow Day with it

Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

(y)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,343 Posts
That is probably too broad of a comparison to try and make. The X7 rides smoother then most Zs but there are some Zs out there that have some pretty advanced suspension systems under them, that I am sure likely would ride smoother then the X7s. I would say the majority that are equal in that they neither have a suspension system do not ride smoother then the X7s.
I guess i didn't word it correctly.
My point was/is most garden tractors traveling at a certain speed is comparable to a ZTR traveling at the same speed. Speed will kill the ride.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
For Hills The Cub Cadet steering wheel Zero turn's are very Good for as well (y)
My neighbor has one. He said I can't drink coffee and mow with the handles, so I got the steering wheel for one hand operation.

·
Registered
463 Posts
ugh... ok listen everybody... I am an engineer. my entire professional career, the only objective I lived by is "how do I make someone else's life easier"... by engineering things.
In fact, general engineering mantra is: "Engineering is the application of science, for the betterment of mankind"... or should I say "peoplekind" to be aligned with my @#$% &^*& prime minister.

making life easier is ALL about catering to laziness. dont want to walk to the theater?... drive there!... or better yet watch it on your TV....

LAZY is the name of the game everyone! Don't fight it..... just accept the facts, and move on....

P.S.: I want to congratulate ZTR owners for refusing to occupy both feet, and both arms to operate your mower like us tractor drivers do... just 2 arms!.... that's a 50% improvement (2 limbs working, instead of 4) on laziness! :p :p :p :p

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,470 Posts
My neighbor has one. He said I can't drink coffee and mow with the handles, so I got the steering wheel for one hand operation.
Out of necessity, I've learned to operate my ZT with one hand using both levers. They almost butt together when in the travel position. The palm of my hand covers both lever ends. It's easy to do.
When I need to use both hands, I place my beer in one of the two provided drink holders, make the turn, straighten out and pick up my beer and operate with one hand again. (y)
----------------

Wally2q, your terminology is off. ;)
The word you want to use here is Productive not Lazy. I purchased a ZT for Productivity, not to make my mowing adventures easier. All I have to do (lawn relater) is mow grass, no garden to work and sure as heck NO SNOW to plow push. :ROFLMAO: ;) :LOL: :p

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Affection won't die, but ability to buy a new one might, because (while not dead) most people's affection for purchasing a new one might.

As an example, fine china (plates and other things for use for eating) used to be really popular. Now most heirloom quality china ends up in the 2nd hand store and no one wants it.
Along that line of thinking, 25-30 years ago I could count on 1 or 2 fingers the number of people in the neighborhood that had a mowing service do their lawn and many also had gardens. Today I'd say at least 1 in 3 homes around here hire the mowing duty out and very few actually have vegetable gardens anymore. Those trends will only continue to rise and, as they do, the trend of manufacturers getting out of the lawn/yard/garden tractor segment will continue. I'd like to think JD has a special market niche with the x700 and they will always sell, but who knows.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
ugh... ok listen everybody... I am an engineer. my entire professional career, the only objective I lived by is "how do I make someone else's life easier"... by engineering things.
In fact, general engineering mantra is: "Engineering is the application of science, for the betterment of mankind"... or should I say "peoplekind" to be aligned with my @#$% &^*& prime minister.

making life easier is ALL about catering to laziness. dont want to walk to the theater?... drive there!... or better yet watch it on your TV....

LAZY is the name of the game everyone! Don't fight it..... just accept the facts, and move on....

P.S.: I want to congratulate ZTR owners for refusing to occupy both feet, and both arms to operate your mower like us tractor drivers do... just 2 arms!.... that's a 50% improvement (2 limbs working, instead of 4) on laziness! :p :p :p :p
I would agree with you on almost everything you wrote, only exception being, I can set the mowing speed and steer my X7s one handed . 😂 lol
Now that’s another 50% better then two hands.lol 😂😝😂🤣

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
This is really an interesting discussion, I feel I have learned a bit of history reading it. I owned a Deere 345 for some years and found it very comfortable.
When I bought my current property I was sold on a X748 because I knew the land trended on the wet side in certain areas and I liked the four wheel drive feature, but when I looked at the utility of the 1 series at just a little more money I bought that instead. I found it mows very nicely although the ride is harsh compared to a garden tractor.
Sorry but I find the inability of folks to move on from the "lazy" post detrimental to the resumption of discourse of value...

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
Out of necessity, I've learned to operate my ZT with one hand using both levers. They almost butt together when in the travel position. The palm of my hand covers both lever ends. It's easy to do.
When I need to use both hands, I place my beer in one of the two provided drink holders, make the turn, straighten out and pick up my beer and operate with one hand again. (y)
----------------

Wally2q, your terminology is off. ;)
The word you want to use here is Productive not Lazy. I purchased a ZT for Productivity, not to make my mowing adventures easier. All I have to do (lawn relater) is mow grass, no garden to work and sure as heck NO SNOW to plow push. :ROFLMAO: ;) :LOL: :p
Well look at Walker There Zero turn levers, they are made on purpose to use one hand for steering. I think if they made their speed control with Foot Pedals Instead of a Lever, They might be the perfect lever controlled Zero turn

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,470 Posts
Well look at Walker. There Zero turn levers, they are made on purpose to use one hand for steering. I think if they made their speed control with Foot Pedals Instead of a Lever, they might be the perfect lever controlled Zero turn
That's what I call Productivity!!! (y)

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
This is really an interesting discussion, I feel I have learned a bit of history reading it. I owned a Deere 345 for some years and found it very comfortable.
When I bought my current property I was sold on a X748 because I knew the land trended on the wet side in certain areas and I liked the four wheel drive feature, but when I looked at the utility of the 1 series at just a little more money I bought that instead. I found it mows very nicely although the ride is harsh compared to a garden tractor.
Sorry but I find the inability of folks to move on from the "lazy" post detrimental to the resumption of discourse of value...
Which tires do you have on your 1025R?, the 1025 we had came with R4s and road like crap, they didn’t have Turf radials back then.

‘Turf radials make a significant difference over the R4 bias ply tires.

I actually have Carlisle versa turf radials on both my 2025R and my X758, the x758 has exact same size tires as the 1025R.

You might try switching if your currently running R4s .

121 - 140 of 179 Posts