Green Tractor Talk banner

Deck Alignment Way Off From the Factory

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  airgas1998 
#1 ·
Just became a card carrying member. My X370 arrived today. I put the bumper one, some subjectively better LED bulbs I'll probably never use and proceeded to level the 42" deck with the provided tools.
I expected it would just need some fine tuning but it was about an inch low all the way around. So low that now I'm afraid I may not understand the leveling procedure as well as I thought and maybe got something wrong (though it seems pretty fool-proof).

On my deck, set it 2.5" and lower the deck. Take the plastic tool out and check at the back at the 2 weld spots and the front bracket under the "3". Adjust the back with the wrench tool until the plastic tool just barely brushes the deck when slid underneath. On the front, loosen the nuts and bolts and adjust until the plastic piece does the same under the "3". I had to circle around the deck several times because of how far off it was until I had all 3 points right.

I searched and didn't hear anybody else talking about this. Did you guys find yours that far off on delivery or am I doing this wrong?

Thanks.

#2 ·
You should be measuring the blades not the deck.It should tell you how to adjust in your book.The front needs to be slightly lower than the rear.Adjust side to side first blades facing towards the discharge, then rotate the blades so their pointing front to back.The front should be slightly lower than the back about 1/8" difference.Set the deck at 3" setting so you have some room and make sure the tire pressure is set in all 4 tires.(in the book)

#4 ·
The supplied tools should do fine. Mine was off at least as much as yours was. It took 3 or 4 times around to get it right. Now it cuts like a dream and looks like a new mowed golf course. My mower was delivered with the Snowblower on it so I suspect they never even bothered with the deck leveling.
Ron

#5 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about it being out of adjustment from new. That is not that uncommon. There is really no reason why you can't use the method described in the manual which uses the little deck height check tool (aka chess piece). It makes the deck leveling process fast and easy. I use it all the time on my X500 deck and it works perfectly. Like you I had to go around the adjustments a few times as adjusting one side has a slight effect on the opposite side.

The only time you should need the blade measuring tool is if you want to verify that the cut height on the blade matches your selector dial. If it doesn't it's no big deal you just need to know how much to compensate.

#6 · (Edited)
Thank you for the replies. I did go ahead and order the gauge and I also verified the tire pressure before measuring. Now that I found the other thread and got your replies I'm feeling better about my leveling.

I'll just set the deck a little high at first and ease into a comfortable match with my push mower cut height.

Thank you again. :thumbup1gif:

#8 ·
Does anyone know if Deere puts on the deck at the factory, or do they leave that to the dealer?

My X754 with 60" deck was poorly aligned, which makes me think the dealer installed the deck as it was a separate line item when I ordered the tractor.

Reactions: BigJim55 and TJR345
#9 ·
I believe the last time I was at my dealer they had a shipment,the LT had the decks on and the larger decks (GT and X series) were not.

#13 ·
Which confirms my hunch that is why the deck wasn't leveled properly on my X754, especially since I beat them down 16% off of MSRP with 0% financing when I bought it.

Reactions: BigJim55 and X748SE
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.