Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to do a little brainstorming here - I find everyone here has so many good ideas about so many things!

The deck behind my house. This is our sanctuary - it faces the creek and the view is just awesome:

DSCF0095.JPG

DSCF0094.JPG

Now the issue - in the warmer months the sun hits the deck (faces west) at around noon and shines directly on it until sunset. It gets extremely hot along with the fact that I just can't be out in direct sun much anymore. And to add to that the sun super heats the room behind the glass door which is where we spend most of our time. I have heavy curtains that I close to slow this but that defeats the effect of having that big glass door and our view. I have an patio umbrella that I use which shades my chair OK but doesn't help the rest of the deck or glass door.

The deck measures 7'9" x 15' inside the railings.

Because I would have hardly any drop for a type of roof structure I've been thinking of a retractable awning. I priced one out at Sunsetter and came up with $2k plus installation (which I don't think we could do ourselves) - way out of the budget for this year.

So thinking of trying to use what I have, we have an EZ-UP canopy from when Mrs Ct. used to do farmer's market. This would be fine for now but it measures 10'x10' which is too big for the smaller dimension of the deck. And this has to be fully deployed to be stable.

pop-up-tent.jpg

Thinking in those lines a canopy like pictured below would be perfect but can't find any that are less than 10' - something like this that is 7'x15' would be ideal.

222737_ts.jpg

Another option would be to continue that cross beam that is across the top of the stairs to the corners of the deck and string some rafters from the house to that beam. I guess then I could get a good custom made canvas tarp to cover it.

I mainly want this for sun shade - while it would be nice to be rain proof that really doesn't matter as we have a covered front porch. And trying to come up with an idea that would stay around the $300 range - tough I know......

·
Registered
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Plant a couple locust trees,,, and a couple popular trees,,,,

NO worry about upkeep,,, but, you got to wait a couple years,,, :lolol:

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
the way is your deck from pics a Sunsetter would look perfect :good2:
I was thinking the same thing. No personal experience with them but it is basically a RV/Camper Awning bolted to the side of a house. The benefit is that they are quick to fold up and put away when not in use and there are even powered ones. This way you can keep it stored and not have to worry about storms. The problem with umbrellas is there is likely a big, heavy base to them that needs to go in storage in the winter when not in use.

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
coaltrain; my wife's sister has one of them Sunsetter's on their deck, it works good. but as u said big money for one. I'm with u on the idea of stringing a few rafters and using the other fabric u showed us. u could let the rafters up over wintertime-shouldn't anything, and just install the fabric in spring.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looked at one of these ?

Actually one like that caught my eye but was leery coming from ebay - but for $53 shippid - who knows....it could be the same thing that Lowe's shows....

New Patio Umbrella Offset 10' Hanging Umbrella Outdoor Market Umbrella D10 | eBay

I was thinking the same thing. No personal experience with them but it is basically a RV/Camper Awning bolted to the side of a house. The benefit is that they are quick to fold up and put away when not in use and there are even powered ones. This way you can keep it stored and not have to worry about storms. The problem with umbrellas is there is likely a big, heavy base to them that needs to go in storage in the winter when not in use.
coaltrain; my wife's sister has one of them Sunsetter's on their deck, it works good. but as u said big money for one. I'm with u on the idea of stringing a few rafters and using the other fabric u showed us. u could let the rafters up over wintertime-shouldn't anything, and just install the fabric in spring.:thumbup1gif:
The Sunsetter would be the cat's a$$ - I've know a couple people who had them over the years and they were very happy with them. Perhaps in another year or two......

The fabric over a couple rafters might be the way to go as a temporary solution though.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The Sunsetter would be the cat's a$$ - I've know a couple people who had them over the years and they were very happy with them. Perhaps in another year or two......

The fabric over a couple rafters might be the way to go as a temporary solution though.
Not sure of the Sunsetter's cost but there are other options. The manual ones are not that much if you go through the configuration. More than an umbrella but much easier to use and store.

Home Products Overview - Carefree of Colorado

Or keep an eye out for a place the sells RV ones or Craigslist. No reason they can't be bolted to the side of the house. There isn't any difference unless you are looking for a powered one. I would imagine that the powered ones are designed for 12V DC if for a camper rather than 110v. One of the cool things about some of the powered ones is that they have wind sensors in them to automatically retract if they get tossed around too much. Of course those will be a lot more expensive though. Also you can get accessories for all of them for instance a sunshade to hang down and block the sun as it is setting or screen room additions if the bugs get bad.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure of the Sunsetter's cost but there are other options. The manual ones are not that much if you go through the configuration. More than an umbrella but much easier to use and store.

Home Products Overview - Carefree of Colorado
I priced out a Sumsetter - not the cheapest model but the better one with the better fabric - and manual retraction - came to $2k without installation.

I also thought of an RV one - it doesn't matter to me - guess I will look at some RV vendors.

Craigs List is non-existant around here. The nearest active city is 100 miles away.

I'll take a look at the link you posted.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I priced out a Sumsetter - not the cheapest model but the better one with the better fabric - and manual retraction - came to $2k without installation.

I also thought of an RV one - it doesn't matter to me - guess I will look at some RV vendors.

Craigs List is non-existant around here. The nearest active city is 100 miles away.

I'll take a look at the link you posted.
The manual version on that site looked to be about $500 shipped. You would have to install.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The manual version on that site looked to be about $500 shipped. You would have to install.
Had some time to go over the Carefree Home Awning. Now this is much more reasonable and something that would work great for me. The base price is $400 for any of 4 widths (12', 14', 16'. or 18') and a flat $150 shipping. 3 color choices and one happens to be dark green to match the house.

Going to review my yearly budget but I think this is the way I am going to go.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Had some time to go over the Carefree Home Awning. Now this is much more reasonable and something that would work great for me. The base price is $400 for any of 4 widths (12', 14', 16'. or 18') and a flat $150 shipping. 3 color choices and one happens to be dark green to match the house.

Going to review my yearly budget but I think this is the way I am going to go.

Thanks!
I didn't think it was too crazy either. I have never seen one in person so can't vouch for them. Maybe look for a review. I was actually looking for the RV version and didn't see any at Camping World so I did a google search. I looked over their powered ones and then saw the tab for the home version which doesn't appear to be powered. I thought the price seemed pretty good to me as well. More than an umbrella but so much nicer in terms of storage and such. The only ones I have used though are on our camper. Different brand though but they all seem to work the same. I didn't spend a lot of time looking around on their site.

I guess Sunsetter needs to pay for all that advertising some how. That is by inflating the price. I guess there are people that see the ads and don't notice that this is the same thing that has been on campers for years.

·
Registered
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't think it was too crazy either. I have never seen one in person so can't vouch for them. Maybe look for a review. I was actually looking for the RV version and didn't see any at Camping World so I did a google search. I looked over their powered ones and then saw the tab for the home version which doesn't appear to be powered. I thought the price seemed pretty good to me as well. More than an umbrella but so much nicer in terms of storage and such. The only ones I have used though are on our camper. Different brand though but they all seem to work the same. I didn't spend a lot of time looking around on their site.

I guess Sunsetter needs to pay for all that advertising some how. That is by inflating the price. I guess there are people that see the ads and don't notice that this is the same thing that has been on campers for years.
Yes - this is exactly what I was hoping for when I started this little journey.

I'm not worried about this one being lighter weight as we take care of everything properly around here. I think I'd rather have the manual opening/closing anyway. Since we are always home it will be easy enough to crank it closed when a thunderstorm is pending or other inclement weather. And then just close it up every night - easy enough.

I pretty excited to find this - thanks so much! With so many things in life I've gone with the next best solution or something like that so it feels good to be able to get an actual awning like I wanted in the first place.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm late to the party, Coaltrain. And it looks like you may have already decided. Don't underestimate the power of vines either. For a simple frame, you could tie together willow sticks or just go ahead and use some treated 4x4s nested in big outdoor pots surrounded by sand or cement with a little wire fencing to get started. Carolina jessamine, wisteria, honeysuckle... Any of those would grow quickly a create a natural sun shade very quickly. I used to grow Carolina Jessamine across my front porch. It always made a sweet shady spot and was pretty in the process. ?

·
Registered
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm late to the party, Coaltrain. And it looks like you may have already decided. Don't underestimate the power of vines either. For a simple frame, you could tie together willow sticks or just go ahead and use some treated 4x4s nested in big outdoor pots surrounded by sand or cement with a little wire fencing to get started. Carolina jessamine, wisteria, honeysuckle... Any of those would grow quickly a create a natural sun shade very quickly. I used to grow Carolina Jessamine across my front porch. It always made a sweet shady spot and was pretty in the process. ?
I like the idea of a green screen but have to watch that kind of stuff near the house. You wouldn't think in the dense forest here in NW Penna would be so humid but the past 2 summers had been terrible. Between the humidity in the air and the trees giving off tons of moisture we get some problems on the north side of the house along with the north side of the deck.

I know it sounds counter intuitive but I need something like the retractable awning so I can allow the sun/air to reach the deck at times.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you wanted to use the canopy you already have, couldn't you get a 2 4X4 posts position them were needed so the two overhanging canopy feet rest on them. Probably would have to tie in the 4X4 to your deck to make them stable...

·
Registered
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you wanted to use the canopy you already have, couldn't you get a 2 4X4 posts position them were needed so the two overhanging canopy feet rest on them. Probably would have to tie in the 4X4 to your deck to make them stable...
I had the same thought. I was going to set up the canopy today and see what would be needed but I'm not moving too well today plus it's really windy.

I will be doing just that in the next couple days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts