Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1yr old 1025r w/ 60" mower deck.
Does anyone have a deck dolly for theirs? I'm looking at getting one through deck dolly and want to hear about peoples experience with dealing with the company and the product itself.
Thanks everyone,
Travis

·
Administrator
18,504 Posts
Reactions: thpohlman

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have one bought it two months ago. Good product, shipped fast. Little expensive along with shipping. It works great I like better than the wheel stands. It is a little heavy up until you get it to the wheel barrow stage to move, then up all the way to have it vertical. I would buy again if need be.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I looked at the Deck Dolly and the Mower Axles. After much thought I bought the Deck Dolly for these reasons.
Ease of attaching:
Mower Axles the deck needs to be lifted with the FEL two gage wheels removed and then install the axles.
Deck Dolly you just drop the deck anywhere, lay the dolly on it and insert the rod. Pick it up by hand and move anywhere.
Maneuverability:
Mower Axles there are four wheels and none of them swivel.
Deck Dolly two wheels on a cart that you can easily maneuver like any other two wheel dolly. ( Do wish the wheels were a little larger )
Stability:
Mower Axles they recommend attaching to a wall for safety.
Deck Dolly is very stable. I can put it anywhere without worrying about it being bumped and falling over.

I appreciate that Mower Axles is a sponsor but when I thought it through I had to go with the Deck Dolly. Very happy with the product. When I got it the brackets were for a 54" deck and I have the 60". Sent them an email and my correct brackets were here in two days.

Just my humble two cents worth.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one bought it two months ago. Good product, shipped fast. Little expensive along with shipping. It works great I like better than the wheel stands. It is a little heavy up until you get it to the wheel barrow stage to move, then up all the way to have it vertical. I would buy again if need be.
Did you pay extra for the longer legs or just have the one right off of deck dolly's website?
Thanks Jim,
Traivs

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the Deck Dolly and the Mower Axles. After much thought I bought the Deck Dolly for these reasons.
Ease of attaching:
Mower Axles the deck needs to be lifted with the FEL two gage wheels removed and then install the axles.
Deck Dolly you just drop the deck anywhere, lay the dolly on it and insert the rod. Pick it up by hand and move anywhere.
Maneuverability:
Mower Axles there are four wheels and none of them swivel.
Deck Dolly two wheels on a cart that you can easily maneuver like any other two wheel dolly. ( Do wish the wheels were a little larger )
Stability:
Mower Axles they recommend attaching to a wall for safety.
Deck Dolly is very stable. I can put it anywhere without worrying about it being bumped and falling over.

I appreciate that Mower Axles is a sponsor but when I thought it through I had to go with the Deck Dolly. Very happy with the product. When I got it the brackets were for a 54" deck and I have the 60". Sent them an email and my correct brackets were here in two days.

Just my humble two cents worth.
GreenHarley,
Thanks for the input. My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I thought that storing the mower deck vertically allowed the gearbox oil to drain out. Is there a particular vertical orientation of the deck that prevents that from happening? I see the deck dolly has the front of the deck in the up position.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought that storing the mower deck vertically allowed the gearbox oil to drain out. Is there a particular vertical orientation of the deck that prevents that from happening? I see the deck dolly has the front of the deck in the up position.
I made my own mower deck stand but its time for the nice one from deck dolly. The one I made stood up the same way. I had it upright on the stand all winter and it never leaked.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I've had my 54" deck stored on a Deck Dolly for the last 2 winters and never any leaks. After reading of some others having that problem here I checked the level in mine this time before putting it back on the tractor and it was full. Don't understand why some have the problem and some don't.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If there was a leakage issue, wouldn't an easy "fix" be to swap the breather with a plug during storage?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've had my 54" deck stored on a Deck Dolly for the last 2 winters and never any leaks. After reading of some others having that problem here I checked the level in mine this time before putting it back on the tractor and it was full. Don't understand why some have the problem and some don't.
According to the Deck Dolly web site, this is a problem with both the 60 inch deck and not with the 54 inch

This is a quote from the product description of the Deck Dolly for the 60 inch mower. The description of the Deck Dolly for your 54 incher includes the same quote.

"Please note that these decks have a breather on the gearbox and it is possible that the breather could seep grease due to the way the deck hangs on the Deck Dolly."

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have the 60" auto connect deck and this was a concern of mine when I bought the deck dolly. I have kept a close wat h for.leakage and have not seen any. Checked the lube level this spring after storing it on the dolly all winter. It was a little low. Maybe an ounce or two but I would expect that after the first year of using the deck. There was no grease on the gearbox that would indicate it had leaked out.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I've had my 54" deck stored on a Deck Dolly for the last 2 winters and never any leaks.
UPDATE: The above was true for me, but not any more. It never leaked a drop for 2 years, but I walked past it today (3rd year) and there was a puddle of oil on the floor, coming out of the small breather.

Soooooo, from now on the breather will be replaced with a pipe plug when stored.

·
Registered
9 Posts
54HC deck dolly

I have a X758 with a 54HC deck. I bought the deck dolly last year to store deck over the winter. I did not get the longer handles. I'm very happy with my purchase. I can dump the deck in the lawn and cart it into the garage without assistance. I've never had any gear oil drip out. Product does exactly what I wanted. Fast shipping. I would buy it again.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I had the Deck Dolly for my 60" deck from my 455. I didn't care for it. It is heavy to lift and you have to rotate your grip mid range, which means you are then holding it up with one hand. When transporting, you have to hold the handles very low to the ground so the stand supports along the wheels clear the ground. Very awkward.

I went back to Mower Axles and that is what I purchased for the 54" deck for the 1025R. I can roll it across the grass on the mower axles by myself. Yup, as the one poster stated, you do have to lift the deck up and place it on a block to remove the guide wheels as the Mower Axles install in their place. However, if he has to utilize a FEL to do so as he states---how would he ever lift it with a Deck Dolly? Yup, you have to drag or lift one end to steer it. The Mower Axles are very stable--without the safety chain. I believe that is more of a preventing stupid people from suing him. I service my decks on the Mower Axles and pressure wash them as well. They never even hinted at tipping over.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Mower axles - no problems

I had the Deck Dolly for my 60" deck from my 455. I didn't care for it. It is heavy to lift and you have to rotate your grip mid range, which means you are then holding it up with one hand. When transporting, you have to hold the handles very low to the ground so the stand supports along the wheels clear the ground. Very awkward.

I went back to Mower Axles and that is what I purchased for the 54" deck for the 1025R. I can roll it across the grass on the mower axles by myself. Yup, as the one poster stated, you do have to lift the deck up and place it on a block to remove the guide wheels as the Mower Axles install in their place. However, if he has to utilize a FEL to do so as he states---how would he ever lift it with a Deck Dolly? Yup, you have to drag or lift one end to steer it. The Mower Axles are very stable--without the safety chain. I believe that is more of a preventing stupid people from suing him. I service my decks on the Mower Axles and pressure wash them as well. They never even hinted at tipping over.
I put the 54D mower on and off my 1025R weekly. I remove it after mowing. I have too much other work with dirt to carry the mower around all week. I stand the mower on the axles, wash it off, roll it over near a wall. No leaks, but only 14 months old. I can lift one end of the mower, slide the axle out and install the gauge wheel, then go repeat that on the other end. For installing the axles, it's not too tough when wearing gloves. My mower has never seemed wobbly or unstable when on edge on the mower axles.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
527 Posts
:good2:
I put the 54D mower on and off my 1025R weekly. I remove it after mowing. I have too much other work with dirt to carry the mower around all week. I stand the mower on the axles, wash it off, roll it over near a wall. No leaks, but only 14 months old. I can lift one end of the mower, slide the axle out and install the gauge wheel, then go repeat that on the other end. For installing the axles, it's not too tough when wearing gloves. My mower has never seemed wobbly or unstable when on edge on the mower axles.
I do the same thing but use my forks and Oblong RingSling (KBOGH) to lift the deck (bad back). I do this and drive over to my hose bib to wash / clean then set it down outside the garage and roll her in.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've had my Deck Dolly about a year now. I added extensions to the handles to make it less awkward to lift.
dolly2.jpg
Lifting the deck like a wheelbarrow to move it around a smooth concrete floor is fairly easy. Don't try to go "off-road" with it though. The wheels are narrow, small diameter, and are not pneumatic.

I absolutely cannot lift the 60D deck to the vertical position of the dolly. It's just too heavy for me. I put the dolly away after the first month, and move the deck around by suspending it from the bucket hooks via short chains attached to the gauge wheel mounts. You can just see one of the 4 eye bolts I added as lifting points in the upper left corner of the picture

After this thread surfaced again this year, I gave my Deck Dolly another try tonight. I still can't manhandle the mower from the wheelbarrow position to upright with the Deck Dolly.

BTW, the Deere specs for the mowers show the 60D weighs 61 pounds more than the 54D, 258 pounds vs 197 pounds. The Deck Dolly itself adds another 30 pounds. Having looked these weights up, I feel better about not being able to lift it at almost 70. I doubt I could have lifted 260 pounds as a teenager.:unknown:

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I like the idea of the Deck Dolly, easy to install onto deck and makes for a great way to store the deck upright.

However, my deck is only the 54" but it is too heavy for me to use for wheeling it around with the Deck Dolly as intended. When I first got it I did lift it a couple of times, but decided that was not a good idea. I am too old and my back too fragile to gamble with it.

So I decided there had to be another way. I have an overhead hoist in the building where my 1025r lives, so I decided to add a brace to the Deck Dolly and use the hoist to stand the Deck Dolly upright.

SAM_0085.JPG

SAM_0089.JPG

This was OK for just standing it up, and I could maneuver it some in a small area while upright.

But this still did not help for moving it around such as moving it to another building or taking it for a cleanup. So I made another bracket to fit on the ends of the handles with a central hole for a lifting point.

IMG_0435.JPG

This pretty much makes the dolly a bracket for lifting and transporting the deck. Can use either the hoist or the tractor FEL.

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0653.JPG

Going for a bath...

IMG_06411.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts