Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 1025R that I picked up late last fall. I had the dealer add the independent lift to the tractor when I bought it because I am going to run a 3pt hitch pto bagger on it and didn’t want it to be moving when lowering the deck. My question is how high is the deck suppose to lock up at? I don’t have a lock designation on my dial but I press the button, set the height dial to 4 and then let up on the button. The deck drops a good 2+ inches from max height before it catches. Is that how it is suppose to work? Why wouldn’t it lock at max height? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is it possible you need to turn your dial a small amount to a lower position? The knob on mine if it is right on the highest setting the arm misses the high spots on the can and falls to the lowest setting. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yes, the dial is not the most accurate, for sure.

You can adjust the yoke & rod on each side of the tractor to adjust and raise the deck height. You just need to be sure to have some clearance between the helical cam and the pawl that contacts it when the deck is lifted, so you can turn the height adjustment knob to the "4-inch" position.

I think that I read somewhere that if you shorten the yoke to rod length too short, that the highest notch of the helical cam might not fit under the pawl, so watch out for that. About an 1/8" should be about the right amount of clearance so the deck will not drop down so much.
If you adjust this very much, you will probably need to adjust the front draft arm for proper front to back leveling, and might also need to adjust the auto-connect drive shaft too.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a 2019 model with the hydraulic independent deck lift and I can never turn the height adjustment past 3”. I can turn it counter clockwise past the install position and I guess that’s locked but I’m surprised you can turn your height adjustment past 3” because I believe I read somewhere that the 2018+ model are like mine. I don’t have a clue how to adjust the height knob and I read the post about deck adjustment but it didn’t mention about height knob adjustment. Thanks for the post by the way, I was about to ask about this.

·
Super Moderator
4,113 Posts
You can't adjust the height adjusting cam up and down, it only rotates. If you're not able to rotate the cam a complete 360° the deck needs adjusting. Have you seen this thread?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Kylew thanks, I just got my 1025r back from the dealer and they just did all the adjustment for me. Embarrassing enough, I was the one who broke his autoconnect deck on that post the first time I try using it. Now that I got it back I just notice that I can’t set my height more than 3”. I’ve tested the mowing and it mows beautifully so it’s level. A lot of the other post goes back and forth but no one answer whether the height knob should be able to rotate all the way to the 4” marker or not. I guess I was hesitant to call my dealer back because the mower deck does cut accurately, level, and this whole covid-19 situation, I didn’t want to bother them again over a height knob.

·
Administrator
22,604 Posts
At full lift, the knob should be able to be spun around 360 degrees. You're definitely not getting full lift.

·
Super Moderator
4,113 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Agh, okay I guess I will be calling the service desk again just because I don’t have a flat level area to do any of this adjustment. So frustrating!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If you look beneath the forward side of the left year fender, You'll see the adjusting cam for the mower deck height. Take a good look at it, so you understand how it works. That'll clear up your questions and once you know how it operates, you'll get the most from it. The graduations and the numbers on the dial are not the cut height in inches. They're just reference points. I utilize a permanent marker to add a dash on the dial at my cut height. In this manner, I have the same height everytime and it matches the walk-behind that I utilize for areas where the tractor will not go.

CMoua, I believe you stated you have the hydraulic lift option. The dealer must have really balled something up if you cannot turn the dial 360 degrees with the hydraulics holding the deck all the way up as there are not any adjustments that would impact that. Also, have them add 3/8" fine thread jam nuts above the adjusting yokes. This will lock them in position so their adjustment is not upset when you remove the lift linkage for snow blower operation. In addition, mark the out side of each yoke with "left" and "right" so you do not interchange them from side to side and you do not install them backwards when re-installing the lift linkage.

Also, obtain a can of spray lube that is not "sticky" and lube the pivot points in the height mechanism. It really makes a difference with the effort. required to turn the dial. In the past, I had been utilizing a silicone spray lube, but it only lasts about three mows. Kylew mentioned Fluid Film as another that is not "sticky", so I'm going to try that this season. You want something that is not "sticky", so the dirt/dust does not adhere to the mechanism and accelerate the wear.

Failure of the dealer to properly setup and adjust the mower deck is an all to common occurrence. It probably took me 2 hours the first time and maybe an hour on the other two once I became proficient. A dealer is reluctant to pay a tech an hour to set the height adjustments on a mower deck.

ClearviewFarmer, I have the Independent Lift option and I did my own installation/setup. I have the lift yokes adjusted for maximum lock height of the deck. The deck still drops some, when I release the lift switch, until the mechanism rests on the "lock" step of the cam---but not 2"

Reactions: CMoua and kylew

·
Registered
651 Posts
Warning: If you try this, you do so at your own risk!!!
I have the independent lift option, and as received from the dealer, my deck drops back down about 1.5" once I let go of the rocker switch. My temporary solution is to squat next to the left side of the 1025R, push and hold the rocker switch, and when the deck is at its highest lift, I jam a short, tapered wedge of oak that just fits between the "4-inch" step of the cam and the pawl (DO NOT PUT YOUR HAND IN THERE UNTIL THE DECK IS AT FULL LIFT!!!), get my hand the heck out of there, and release the rocker switch. Then deck drops just a tad bit, and away I go.

It's not the safest thing to do, and I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you do several dry-runs without putting your hand in there until you see what goes on between the bottom of the tractor and the MMM deck. If you screw up doing this, it could get very ugly, very quickly!!!
Warning: If you try this, you do so at your own risk!!!

The piece of oak will compress a little bit the first few times, and will allow the deck to drop a little bit more than the previous time, but will become more and more repeatable after that.

Once I get the unit onto a section of flat, level concrete, I will adjust the linkage properly. But, for now, the oak wedge works well enough for me.

Did I mention that you might not want to do this, ...and if you do, don't blame me if you get hurt doing it?!?!

·
Registered
2021 JD 1025R
18 Posts
I am experiencing something very similar. I just bought my 1025R with the 54D deck and the mechanical lift.
My height adjustment knob will not go past 3 either. The deck will not mow high enough for me. I have looked at the height adjustment cam. It cannot adjust any higher because it is running into the pawl. I think those are the correct terms.
I was on here searching for any adjustments that I haven't found. I beleive that I have adjusted everything to the spec in my owners manual for the mmm. Mine does have the new 54D mower deck with the load and go ramps. Do not know if the new deck changes anything.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I think the lift linkage is not adjusted right. With the mechanical lift, there is an arm behind the drivers side rear wheel that has three bolts in a long slot that has to be set right to get the full lift. At least that is what my 1026R has and I had problems setting it correctly so the height adjustment knob would work in all positions. It is out of adjustment again on my tractor now and needs to be reset. Fortunately I am no longer using the 1026R to operate the Mid mount Mower so I have no reason to adjust it. 445 is a better machine for my property and the 1026R is used with the Brush cutter now.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
On my 2025 the 60D with independent lift is level and raises and stays in the all up position. I can use all of the height adjustment. My yard has a gazillon tree roots so I really never use it below 3.

My issue is I have to remenber to put my 3pt hitch 1/2 way down when I mow. Something must bind between the independent lift and the 3 pt hitch. It I dont drop the 3pt I get mowing and realize the deck is not down where I set it. So then Indrop the 3Pt, get the deck down and start over.

·
Registered
2021 JD 1025R
18 Posts
I think the lift linkage is not adjusted right. With the mechanical lift, there is an arm behind the drivers side rear wheel that has three bolts in a long slot that has to be set right to get the full lift. At least that is what my 1026R has and I had problems setting it correctly so the height adjustment knob would work in all positions. It is out of adjustment again on my tractor now and needs to be reset. Fortunately I am no longer using the 1026R to operate the Mid mount Mower so I have no reason to adjust it. 445 is a better machine for my property and the 1026R is used with the Brush cutter now.
I found what you are talking about. I adjusted it and now I have full range of adjustment.
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a 2020 1025r with the new lift system and hyd lift and it will only go to a max height of 4.25". My previous 1025r with the old system and rockshaft strap would go to 4.5" in the transport mode. 4" in highest cut setting. There is a tab on the autoconnect that hits the frame to stop the system from ramming the frame interfering with the pto shaft. There is also tab on the frame above the deck gear box that keeps the gear box from hitting anything under the tractor. I don't have the load and go and I'm glad as it looks like that would be another stop.

There is a way to adjust the new turnbuckles but if you go past a certain mark the eyebolts bend. I least mine did. So I shortened the eyebolts. There is a sweet spot where adjusting the turnbuckles too much keeps the knob from spinning 360 degrees. I can't rap my head around the geometry of why yet. Might have something to do with the hyd lift.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.